Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Opening a session created on another system

I have a question. Sorry if this has been covered. We have 3 studios, 2 with HD 2 and 1 with a LE system. We have purchased the Glyph key drives for all the rooms in order to swap sessions. The problem is, that if a session is started in one room and opened in another room, PT complains that it cannot save because I do not have access privileges. I can "save a copy as" and make a new session, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using the swap drives. Is there a trick to saving a session after opening it with another system?

All are Macs running OSX 10.4.

thanks,

Joel
Old 07-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Opening a session created on another system

check your permissions on that drive after you insert it into the new computer. also, check in the workspace to make sure that the drive is designated "R" and not "T". AND, repair disk permissions on all computers if you have not done so already.

hope that is helpful.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-13-2005, 04:25 PM

Sorry, but I don't understand. To my knowledge disk permissions are only able to be repaired on drives that contain the OSX system. These audio drives don't have permissions to repair.

I don't know what the workspace is or how to designate a drive as "R" or "T".

I do repair permissions on all computers about once a month. I did so again today. Also, this happened today by copying a session over ethernet from one room to another, not by pulling the glyph drive. Sorry for the faulty information.

Thanks for the input. I will look up the workspace in my "OSX Missing Manual."

Joel

Quote:
check your permissions on that drive after you insert it into the new computer. also, check in the workspace to make sure that the drive is designated "R" and not "T". AND, repair disk permissions on all computers if you have not done so already.

hope that is helpful.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:28 PM

Ahhhh, sorry, workspace is a digi thing not an OS thing. My bad. I am new to PT. I found my workspace and the drive is "R" not "T"

Thanks for the tip!

joel

Quote:

I don't know what the workspace is or how to designate a drive as "R" or "T".

Old 07-13-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't understand. To my knowledge disk permissions are only able to be repaired on drives that contain the OSX system. These audio drives don't have permissions to repair.
Yes and no. Minister was on the right track, but you misunderstood him. The process of repairing disk permissions with Disk Utility does indeed only work on the boot volume. However, your problem is permissions related. Here is how you can get around it.

While in the Finder, Get Info (Apple+I) on the Glyph volume. Tab open the Ownership & Permissions section, then click the checkbox next to Ignore ownership on this volume. Now, when you move that Glyph drive from one system to another, OS X won't care about the username that is associated with the Pro Tools file, and it will work just fine.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Thanks,

I really appreciate the help!

Joel

Quote:

While in the Finder, Get Info (Apple+I) on the Glyph volume. Tab open the Ownership & Permissions section, then click the checkbox next to Ignore ownership on this volume. Now, when you move that Glyph drive from one system to another, OS X won't care about the username that is associated with the Pro Tools file, and it will work just fine.