Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-08-2003, 01:48 PM

Default Trashing Preferences, Rebuilding Desktop Advice

I've been having some issues with Protools freezing up and giving me the tapping fingers when I press stop while in record mode. I'm running a mirror door G4 with 002. I've followed advice found here and reinitialized my non-system hard drive where I kept my sound files and also trashed the digi, protools and DAE preference folders. I have two questions:

1) What does trashing the preference folders actually do? I like to try to understand why something works.

2) I've seen advice from Where and others on "rebuilding your desktop". How do you do this and why does it help?

Also, is there a good book or resource anyone recommends on caring for the G4.

Thanks

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 02-09-2003, 06:59 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...
Default Re: Trashing Preferences, Rebuilding Desktop Advice

Hi. If you're looking for a good book for your Mac, get "The Macintosh Bible". Make sure you get the most recent one that includes Jaguar (10.2).
It's a treasure trove of info on feeding and caring for your Mac and it's operating system.

The other questions are good, too. It's good to know why something works...if anyone can share, I'd like to know, too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2003, 07:19 AM

Apples knowledgebase answer rebuild desktop

you can search here for all your Mac questions

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 02-09-2003, 08:24 AM

Your problems aya also be with your mirror door logic board, which many have had problems with on the mirror door models. check with Apple regaring your specivif erial number and PT compatibility.

to rebuild the desktop, hold down the apple and option keys while starting up.

to reset PRAM, when starting up hold down apple, optin P and R keys, and after the third chime let go.

I recommend rebuilding the desktop daily, or wheneve ryour mac acts funky, and zapping PRAM weekly.

Both of these are standard Mac PM. read the manual, get a Mac bible, and learn about the workings of your computer.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:54 AM

Quote:
1) What does trashing the preference folders actually do? I like to try to understand why something works.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It just forces PT to make a new settings file. It contains things like buffer settings, preferences settings (!), some midi settings (not oms), but its much less than you might think. You wont notice much difference after trashing the prefs, but after a little while, you will. Its just a small inconvenience. Try to look over things if you have trashed prefs, before you start to work.

And just as a curiosity:
I have many a-time tried to trash my PT and DEA prefs to solve problems the last few years, and when I have found that the problem had nothing to do with them, I put them right back. So, I actually have the same prefs as I had at least an upgrade or two ago. This is just to hint that trashing the prefs might not be the "give PT a new start" that some seem to think.

Just to be presise:
You only have to hold opt-cmnd (or option-apple) just as the desktop and the first disk appears to rebuild desktop.
1 TB external (425/425 Mbs r/w).
Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen, Dynaudio BM6's, Command 8, a couple of mics.
Pro Tools 2020.5, Mac OS 10.15.6.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:19 AM

From Apple KB:

Contents of PRAM

Contents of PRAM are as follows. Some Macintosh computers may not have all the settings described below.

* Status of AppleTalk
* Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
* Alarm clock setting
* Application font
* Serial printer location
* Autokey rate
* Autokey delay
* Speaker volume
* Attention (beep) sound
* Double-click time
* Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
* Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
* Startup disk
* Menu blink count
* Monitor depth
* 32-bit addressing
* Virtual memory
* RAM disk
* Disk cache

-----

Don't zap your PRAM weekly - it doesn't tend to sort out out most common problems anyway.

Rebuilding the desktop - rebuilds your desktop database file which is a file that keeps track of the files and their whereabouts on your system. If you are constantly creating / adding /deleting files on your system then you could probably do with rebuilding 0nce a week /two weeks because the database file gets quite bloated with redundant information.
PTLE 5.1.1
--------------------
PB G4 867
256MBRAM
PT FREE
Old 02-10-2003, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kav:
Don't zap your PRAM weekly - it doesn't tend to sort out out most common problems anyway.
Rebuilding the desktop - rebuilds your desktop database file which is a file that keeps track of the files and their whereabouts on your system. If you are constantly creating / adding /deleting files on your system then you could probably do with rebuilding 0nce a week /two weeks because the database file gets quite bloated with redundant information.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It really depends on your usage. the more data you run through your mac the more frequently you need to zap PRAM and rebuild desktop. You can't do any damage doing either as often as you want.

Hope this is helpful.