Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-12-2006, 10:45 PM

Default STRIKE STRUCK OUT!

Well I thought I would post a mini review of Digi's STRIKE drum plug. When EXPAND Came out I was impressed, Loved it. When HYBRID came out I was BLOWN AWAY! So based on those two releases, I told myself, I would immediately buy anything the AIR team released.

So then STRIKE was released and I ordered it right away! BOY was I disappointed. The following comments are stricktly based on the SOUND and REALISM! If I were judging it on User Interface or ease of use, I would give it high marks, but it is the sound that counts and in this department on a scale of 1 to 10 I can't give STRIKE more than a 4 and that is generous.

I Already owned FXPansion's BFD when I ordered STRIKE and I will tell you that BFD kicks STRIKE dead in the ass and run circles around it when it comes to the sound quality and realism. If there is anyone out there who loves Stikes sound, then that means they haven't heard BFD which I would have to give a 10.

I could get into details about what is so bad about STRIKE'S sound, but I would be typing forever. The samples just seem dead compared to BFD. Yes Strike has done an excellent job on the interface and the multiple mic routings etc etc. But I just can't get over how dead the actual samples sound and the poor/limited choice of kits that comes with it.

I am a Digi AIR fan no doubt and I think the AIR team are doing great things, as a matter of fact I plan to grab VELVET the electric piano plug as soon as it is available, but they just didn't hit the mark with STRIKE by a long shot!

-Darryl
www.gamebeatstudios.com
Old 10-13-2006, 06:29 AM

Default Re: STRIKE STRUCK OUT!

Have you tried loading all the samples as XXL and enabled oversampling??? I dunno, I find BFD to sound lifeless and boring, as well as very mechanical, compared to Strike. The intensity and complexity sliders, as well as the kit settings, really add a lot that BFD can't touch as far as realism. And I hear you, as far as the kit variety is concerned. My guess is there will be expansion packs in the future. But, as i've mentioned in another post somewhere, I enhance my kit with Battery 2 and East/West's Stormdrum(Or any of my bazillion other drum/percussion patches in any of my given synths and samplers, but those are my favorite two for now) via the export midi function. Strike is very deep, and it takes a while to really get into the nitty gritty of it. I recommend sitting down with it for a day or 2 and just dig into it.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:50 AM

Default RE: Hmmmm ... Hmmmm

Hemloc,

I enjoyed your write up fm this thread :

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...5&o=21&fpart=1

Quote:
I'm not gonna lie. Strike has a steep learning curve. There's a limited number of drumkits 'out of the box'(Which can be used with any pattern, though.). The manual is very basic and lacking. But, only in the sense that it doesn't really get too in depth into anything. Especially exporting to midi. Or editing patterns. That being said, however, Strike is frikkin awesome. I sat down with it and really dug into it, and so far I have only scratched the surface.

I forced myself to figure out the export to midi function and learned that it works just like the manual says it does(Like I said, I just wish they went a little more in depth with it). Once I export everything to midi it will spit out a bunch of new midi tracks, one for each instrument in the kit, that you can assign back to Strike or whatever instrument you want(Making it not such a big deal that there are only so many drumkits available 'out of the box'). If there is something I don't like or want to change soundwise, I assign those channels/instruments to Battery 2 or E/W Stormdrum(Which I use to round out my drum and wacky percussion needs). Battery 2 requires a bit of shuffling of instruments and input channels within each cell, but it is easy to figure out. I usually just play and export a small pattern and then just use the 'repeat' function where needed, then do another pattern. It's also much easier to edit out midi notes for larger regions when each instrument has it's own midi track(Say in a long bridge or break where you only want some hat action going on or something). I guess I find it easier to work with the drum tracks as individual instruments because I can do more individual editing and use different effects and such on each individual track. Strike does have a nice mix setup with each instrument and their own built-in effects, but I prefer to work with some of my other TDM plug-ins. I do like the mic placement setup, too.

Of course, you could just sit down and lay down a Strike performance in realtime(I recommend taking it off 'latch' mode, though), and record it straight through, too!! All-in-all, it is a lot of fun, and very useful!! I'm sure there will be add-on drum kits in the future, and it looks like there will be an PT Accelerated video tutorial in the near future(See the 'cliffhanger' at the end of the intro video on the Strike product page, lol!!!). I highly recommend it, and just to beef things up, maybe get some sort of drum sapler like Battery or even a cheap soft sampler with drum libraries to add to your Strike arsenal!!

After two weeks with Strike! I'd say it's really hit a few home runs for me If I want to add the super mechanical feel, I just slip in the 808s or 809s fm Sonik Synth 2 kits ...

For me, Strike! is sweet ...

Old 10-13-2006, 10:31 AM

Default Re: RE: Hmmmm ... Hmmmm

Those who think STRIKE sounds awesome must be insane. It barely sounds OK. I am shocked especailly if you claim to have also heard and used BFD. STRIKE'S sound is completely lifeless compared to BFD. Don't want to insult anyone, but I think this is an issue of experience level, pro verse newbie etc etc. I have both Strike and BFD and have A/B compared them on many levels and it is NIGHT AND DAY when it comes to sound and realism! But to each his own I suppose. Then you get just 5 lame sounding drum kits with Strike, verses the TONS of kits and kit pieces you get with BFD and their expansion packs. I just purchased the Jazz & Funk expansion pack for BFD and it is UNREAL!

I will say again that the features and interface of STRIKE are cool, the ability to edit loop data and the built in FX and EQ are nice, but who in their right mind would want to eq their drums and add effects in strike when you can (and should) do it in your ProTools mix? I'll tell you who, amatures and newbies would. Sorry again if I offend, but the simple fact that Strike even has built in EQ and FX tells me it is a product targeted towards the less experienced newbie crowd.

That's my 2 cents. Again didn't mean to offend anyone, but Strike can't hold a candle to BFD ONLY as it pertains to sound and realism and those that think it does....well....nevermind.

-Darryl
www.gamebeatstudios.com
Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 AM

Default RE: Oh My ...

Quote:
But to each his own I suppose.
Well, I believe you got that right ... here at the "•••••" ranch, we've been doing blues harp for so long, it seems to pay the bills

Peace

Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 PM

Default Re: RE: Oh My ...

I've heard BFD, And I've been using strike for the last 4 weeks... It CAN't be beat, unless you have a real drummer, in a great room, and a engineer who's worth his weight in drum heads. I've been working in a well-known studio with a well known drummer fro several years, so i know what drums should sound like, and what the rooms vs overheads, vs close mics should sound like. And you know what... STRIKE nails it, no questions asked in my book. I love it. Now all we have to do is wait for some sort of add-on pack system, more kits, some new beats etc. & I might know a drummer whos out of a job...

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 10-13-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Don't want to insult anyone, but I think this is an issue of experience level, pro verse newbie etc etc.
That is the most ridiculous and elitist thing I have ever heard(Well, this week, anyways!). You obviously haven't really learned how to use Strike yet. Otherwise, you would already know that you can use ANY drum sample or instrument that you want with Strike! Not to mention the fact that you can send EVERY channel to it's own individual output for additional processing(Which is what I do, as I treat Strike the same as if I had a real drumkit set up and mic'd in the studio). And when a drummer who has been drumming for 30 years in various bands is more impressed by Strike(And it's ability to vary intensity and style on-the-fly, which was the biggest selling point for him!!), and only mildly impressed with BFD(So much so, that he bought Strike to REPLACE BFD!). Of course, he is only a newbie, though.

BFD has plenty of expansion packs... Okay, that's a fair observation. Keyword is Expansion!! Who's to say that Digi isn't going to follow suit(OR even 3rd parties perhaps?)?? Personally, I'm not really worried about it since I have thousands of drum samples in my library that I can already use with Strike, and pattern editing is a piece of cake if I decide that I need more patterns at any given time. To be fair, there is nothing wrong with BFD. You just need to learn how to use the tools you have. Any "Pro" could attest to that. If you don't like Strike, don't use it. If you love BFD, stick to it. To each their own.

But if you want to call yourself a "Pro", never, ever put down others as "newbies" or "inexperienced". That is very unprofessional, no matter who you are or how many awards you may have won. Not everyone is impressed by those kind of things!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:53 PM

Call it ridiculous, call it elitest, call it what ever the ---- you want! but I still content that STRIKE can't touch the sound quality of BFD. That's my opinoin, you have yours. and yes I still content that newbies are more likely to be enamoured by it than pros are, that again is my opinion.

And I never bought up AWARDS! YOU DID! lol, I was giving my opinion on why I felt people looked at strike as a break thru plug, and that is based on it build in FX and EQ etc. If you don't feel you fall into that category of newbie, good for you. It's about stating ones opinions on the tools we use and too bad if my opinion struck you the wrong way, you'll get over it I'm sure.

I've said it twice and I'll say it a dozen times, Put STRIKE right next to BFD and Strike wins in terms of features and ease of use, but BFD win hands down in the sound/realism category. If you feel different good for you. End of story! Glad you got a chance to visit the site.

-Darryl
www.gamebeatstudios.com
Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 PM

Sounds like someone has an ulterior motive...
Old 10-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Ulterior motives? Nope, no ulterior motives here whatsoever. I do not have, never have had nor do I seek any endorsements, deals or freebies from ANY software or hardware manufacturer, if that is what you are eluding to.

I would however gladly give my observations in the form of a testimonial to any manufacturer and seek NOTHING in return, if I feel they have developed an exceptional product and I have done that before. If I like or want a product, I buy it! Period. If I think a product is particularly strong or weak and I chose to share that opinion then I do that. As I said before, to each his own, but some here simply need to learn to handle an opinion that is different than their own.
If you love Strike, more power to you!

-Darryl
www.gamebeatstudios.com