Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 12-19-2020, 10:09 AM

Default Monitoring SOLO in ProTools with a S6L AVB connection

We have a new Avid S6L-32D digital mixer. Using AVB, I've connected a Mac mini and installed a licensed version of ProTools 2020. Everything works great. ProTools tracks are automatically named from the S6L. Signals look great. Virtual playback of the recorded tracks back through the S6L is perfect. My question is, how can I solo a channel in ProTools while live recording or doing virtual playback? Output channels are mapped back to the S6L.

BTW: I know I can SOLO on the S6L and it's essentially the same as what I'm getting in ProTools. However, there is a engineer running the S6L for FOH live sound and I want to monitor ProTools without touching his board.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Monitoring SOLO in ProTools with a S6L AVB connection

Hello,

I have not done this on the S6L as I don't have one, but on my Profile I have done this:

In ProTools set the output of all your incoming channels to one stereo output and patch that output to a free channel on the S6L, then globally recall safe that channel on S6L from all automation and send a pre fader direct out of that channel to a free physical output. That way the total mix of every input in your pro tools recording will play to that output. Connect your headphone amp to that output and you can either hear the solo you needed or a complete mix of all your inputs and be completely independent of what the FOH engineer is doing. You can create a pleasant mix for yourself using the Pro Tools faders so that whenever you don't need to solo anything you have a decent mix that does not clip the Pro Tools output / S6L input and is bearable to listen to. You can even use the EQ's and Comp's in PT if you are running a DSP version to make it sound better for you.

By doing this you loose the Virtual Soundcheck option as all channels do not feed back to their original channels but in your case I think it is more important for you to be able to keep an eye and ear on your recording instead.

Hope this helps!