Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 AM

Default Waves Venue AAX DSP

Sorry if I'm digging up a previously discussed topic, but I'm curious is anyone has heard Waves giving second thoughts to AAX DSP.

It seems like Waves is pretty set on the Soundgrid platform, but many fear the it will go the way of the APA platform.

I'm already invested heavily in Waves and it seems like the future of the Avid desks will revolve around AAX DSP.

I haven't seen much posts since 2013 so I just want to revisit the issue.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Waves Venue AAX DSP

Aint gonna happen. … I think they've set out their stall with soundgrid.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 02-22-2015, 08:26 PM

I was just having a thought the other day.

Maybe Waves is combining the native and Soundgrid platform so they still still maintain two separate versions. However, this time is would be Soundgrid or AAX DSP with AAX DSP being the more expensive option.

I guess one can dream, but I'd still like to see a solution for Avid.

I think it's only a matter of time before Avid releases new Venue desks that are AAX DSP only.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:00 AM

if avid would start with allowing us to use S3L's AVB in and outs as insert points..then we could at least use waves native multirack with a Mac!
Old 02-23-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplitude View Post
if avid would start with allowing us to use S3L's AVB in and outs as insert points..then we could at least use waves native multirack with a Mac!

Just got a message back from Waves and they basically mentioned that Soundgrid is an open format, but Avid hasn't implemented it. (That was basically the summary.)

Since I don't know much about programming, I'm not sure whether it'd be easier for Waves to go AAX DSP or Avid to implement Soundgrid into the desk. But I don't see Waves and Avid playing well in the future.

I really wanted to give the S3L system a try, but I guess I'll have a look at a SD11.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Voyles View Post
Just got a message back from Waves and they basically mentioned that Soundgrid is an open format, but Avid hasn't implemented it. (That was basically the summary.)

Since I don't know much about programming, I'm not sure whether it'd be easier for Waves to go AAX DSP or Avid to implement Soundgrid into the desk. But I don't see Waves and Avid playing well in the future.

I really wanted to give the S3L system a try, but I guess I'll have a look at a SD11.
I do understand both companies, Waves wants the money of all engineers no matter what desk they use and Avid has created an ecosystem of their own DSP that is proven and easy to use.

It's up to you to decide if you like the idea of compact, tested system that saves your snapshots and show files into a single file to recall no matter what plugins you run or it's more important for you to have only that particular manufacturers plugins running and you don't mind carrying extra hardware around and you don't mind recalling/saving snapshots/show files on two systems and you don't need deep and easy Pro Tools integration.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Avid

If you REALLY want to use Waves, and latency doesn't matter (the problem with using an external unit, and a console that internally calculates delay compensation, and such).

open up PT,
make a new session 48k 24b,
set playback engine to S3L,
make an aux track with the input set to whatever channel on you wish to insert plugins,
insert waves plugins,
route the output of that aux track to an output that lines up with an input that you're not using from the Stage,
use a new channel and hit the PT input button on said channel.

This new channel is now post waves insert.

Play with your buffer settings in PT to get it to a point where it may be usable.

I've done this with some time based processing, just to see how well it works, and the latency is a bit absurd, but it's fine for wacky delays, and even verbs.

Not officially supported by any means, but you CAN do this if you would like
Old 02-23-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
If you REALLY want to use Waves, and latency doesn't matter (the problem with using an external unit, and a console that internally calculates delay compensation, and such).

open up PT,
make a new session 48k 24b,
set playback engine to S3L,
make an aux track with the input set to whatever channel on you wish to insert plugins,
insert waves plugins,
route the output of that aux track to an output that lines up with an input that you're not using from the Stage,
use a new channel and hit the PT input button on said channel.

This new channel is now post waves insert.

Play with your buffer settings in PT to get it to a point where it may be usable.

I've done this with some time based processing, just to see how well it works, and the latency is a bit absurd, but it's fine for wacky delays, and even verbs.

Not officially supported by any means, but you CAN do this if you would like
I have done this for inserts as well, when we first did not have anything besides what came with the desk. Did it for couple of shows until a random CPU overload stopped the song, won't play around with native anymore. It might have been just a PT bug or something, but I don't care to experiment that way anymore since now we have decent tools available. I just need more DSP chips, Avid!! They are sitting there, open them up, pretty please with sugar on top :)
Old 02-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Avid

I've similarly had multi rack have a show stopping failure. Well song stopping... So I stopped using non native solutions. Then again I've also crashed more DigiCo desks than I can count on two hands, and it's usually when trying to run Waves... But when it works, it's not too bad at all.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Waves advertises a MADI adapter.