Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Default iOS Drum Machine app

I will be playing the acoustic piano on a gig and simply want to bring my iOS device to plug into the system for drum grooves as needed.

Is there a drum machine iOS app that would allow we to set grooves then seamlessly switch back and for between songs with different tempos?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM

Default Re: iOS Drum Machine app

I've got a few - my 'plan' was/is to program accompaniment for different songs ... but I never get there! However, several are more than capable in this regard so you may want to check out a few Youtube videos to see what suits you e.g. different input methods. If you just want a nice click track, without programming fills, etc., this is easy too. :)

* Korg iElectribe / Fingerlab DM1 / Funkbox - typical step sequencer input, lots of kits/sounds possible and some also have pads/effects (DM1 probably the most flexible)

* Native Instruments iMaschine - pads

* Impaktor - place your iPhone/iPad e.g. on a table and 'play the table'

* Drumjam - add percussion instruments and vary complexity/rhythm to find something you like

You could also use apps like Garageband (includes a drummer + much more) and if compatible with Audiobus, you can pass audio from one app through another (recording, effects, etc.)

:)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Default Re: iOS Drum Machine app

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the apps you mentioned and like them. I ended up going with iMPC for iPhone, which was also recommended. It is the perfect app for what I need performance wise, and all I need to bring is my iPhone! Today the singer and I rehearsed the song list with the iMPC app. Four songs, zero problems from the app.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:51 AM

Default iOS Drum Machine app

Good - I have iMPC too ... it was in another folder and I forgot to mention it. Whilst it's probably useful to learn one well by using regularly, these apps are generally so cheap that it's fun tho see where new ones take you creatively. Others worth checking out include Propellerhead Figure (recently free), Triqtraq, Korg synths, Loopy (looper) and Samplr. If you prefer to pre-record backing tracks, Auria would be more familiar to a Pro Tools user than Garageband (but really needs a recent iPad). Hope this helps in case your tempted to dig deeper on iOS!