How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 AM

Default "Out of Memory" with Kontakt

Hi everyone

I have a problem and I hope someone can help me. I use Pro Tool 9 on a Mac and Kontakt 5 and even though I have almost 10Gb of free memory left according to the "activity Monitor" in the Mac I get the message "Background loading - Out of Memory" in Pro Tools and if I keep working it crashes.

Really appreciate some help!

Magnus
Old 11-30-2013, 04:18 AM

Default Re: "Out of Memory" with Kontakt

Hi again

I noticed that over 150 people had a look at this post but no one gave an answer so I guess some of you have faced the same problem as I and fortunately I found the answer.

"Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and all previous versions of Mac OS X cannot address more than
4 GB of RAM (up to 3.5 GB supported) per application. If you are running KONTAKT on a 32-bit Mac, you are able to access more than 4 GB RAM with KONTAKT Memory Server (KMS)."

-Open KONTAKT and click "OPTIONS" and chose "MEMORY" - Check "USE MEMORY SERVER" and restart the program. KONTAKT will now be able to access all your memory. You can choose automatic or manual later if you want but you can read more about that in the KONTAKT manual.

I hope I could be of help to someone!

Have a good weekend!

Magnus
Old 11-30-2013, 08:03 AM

Default Re: "Out of Memory" with Kontakt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusD View Post
I use Pro Tool 9 on a Mac and Kontakt 5 and even though I have almost 10Gb of free memory left according to the "activity Monitor" in the Mac I get the message "Background loading - Out of Memory" in Pro Tools and if I keep working it crashes.
Just want to make sure you know that although it is possible to access more memory for Kontakt via Memory Server, with Pro Tools 9, you will run into the same issue with any other VI's that use a lot of memory.

Regardless of available memory on the Mac or if you have 10.6 or higher, Pro Tools 10 and all previous versions of Pro Tools are 32 bit and can only access up to 3.5 GB of memory. It is even lower on Windows (more like 2.5 - 3.2 GB).