Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-01-2015, 02:52 PM

Default Pro tools running out of CPU power AAE-9173

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some insight with a two continuing problems I am having. I'm fairly new to protools worked with it in the past and have only owned it for a couple months. I have the a student version (not sure if that matters in this situation).

The first problem is when I open up a recent session, all the audio sounds distorted and robot like. When I close it and restart the program it seems to just go away. Why?

The second problem is a reoccurring message (Pro Tools ran out of CPU power. Try to de-activation or removing Native plug-ins. (AAE -9173)..

I've upgraded both my operating system and my pro tools versions thinking it was just a bug in the current versions, I even went as far as having my computer cleaned of any clutter that was making it slow and made it specifally for recording use's only.

I recently installed Amplitube 4 and Addictive Drums 2. I've used this combo in the past with a friends computer when we didn't have anything mic's to use, basically running the same set up, but the only difference is that his laptop was a tad newer than mine.

Could that be the problem? or could it be something I'm just not seeing? Do I have to many plug-ins going at once?

This is my current set-up
Laptop Computer:
OS X EI Capitan
Version 10.11.1
MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)
Processor MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400m 256MB

Pro Tools Type:
Pro tools Version 12.3.1

Audio Interface:
Oita-Capture Hi-speed USB 10in/10out 24bit 192kHz

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 5.36.37 PM.jpg (71.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Pro tools running out of CPU power AAE-9173

Hi and Welcome to the Community

My guess is that old MacBook you have. Probably a spinner drive with 5400rpm which is way to slow, then 4GB, should be 8GB or more and I am SURE AVID will change that requirement on their website VERY SOON ... Avid!!?

And lastly the C2D CPU is probaly the last nail in that coffin so if you wanna use PT12 without these errors you need to update that Mac asap. Sorry but those odds ain't worth taking as long as you have those specs.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-02-2015, 04:06 PM

Hi,

Im having the exact same problem!
Mac Mini Server 2010, Dual core, 8 GB RAM, 2x SSD drives.
El capitan
PT 12.3.1

I tried reinstalling PT and removing all files that could possibly be linked to PT from the hidden library folder.

I have not tried loading up the same session yet but i do still have problems with PT not starting up correctly, freezing before the loadscreen even comes up fully, resulting in a white square that should be the loading screen. After "force quit" it usually starts up normally.

The thing is, when i look how hard im pusing the CPU, im around 30% of usage. There are instead spikes hitting 100% randomly when i use PT, with or without plug-ins "opened".

Last edited by johan.sveide; 12-02-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan.sveide View Post
Hi,

Im having the exact same problem!
Mac Mini Server 2010, Dual core, 8 GB RAM, 2x SSD drives.
El capitan
PT 12.3.1

I tried reinstalling PT and removing all files that could possibly be linked to PT from the hidden library folder.

I have not tried loading up the same session yet but i do still have problems with PT not starting up correctly, freezing before the loadscreen even comes up fully, resulting in a white square that should be the loading screen. After "force quit" it usually starts up normaly.

Hey Buddy

Have you tried the trashing of Preferences and Databases and restart? We have had this aswell a few times and for us it was the SSD drive we recorded to that was too filled up and the SSD's in external cases sometimes just doesn't rock on as they should. We now record to WDC Black 7200 rpm drives which can read and write fast enough for PT12. SSD's for internal drive is great but yet the SSD external drives for recording to isn't always the best option.

Also make sure your plugins (all of them) are up to date and can cause issues even if they aren't used in a session, PT loads up ALL plugins at startup so if one is bad then that plugin can cause errors etc.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 AM

Hi mate,

Thanks for your answer.
I just got this mac mini so its fresh cleared and reinstalled from the button up. Its running a fresh OS X and the drives are formated into raid. So both files write portions of the same file to make writing faster. Could that be the problem maybe?

I only work with already recorded files, so i guess i could try moving the project folder into an external drive and try it out.

Pro Tools and all plugins are reinstalled and the drives are cleared from all the rest overs left after uninstalling before reinstalling.

The problems still exist so i will try reinstalling again. Also i will try if the problems occurs in Cubase after loading up the same size of a project with the same amount of plug-ins. If it works in there i suppose the computer could be less likely to be the cause.