Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 PM

Default mbox 3 mini DI - really low levels

Hey guys! I'll start with my (super simple) set up:

Macbook pro (snow lep)
Mbox 3 mini (usb)
ProTools 8

I really only bought this for composing ideas with superior drummer and DI guitar.

So when I'm plugged into either of the DI's, I'm getting barely any signal on my track. The DI itself seems to be fine because if I turn the monitor knob towards "input" I can hear my direct signal clear as day. When turned towards "playback" its barely audible. This led me to believe that the problem in my signal chain was occuring after the mbox, and before my computer. But the only thing there is a usb cable....

I thought my I/O may have been funky but I checked it and it seems normal. Any advice or tips?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:13 AM

Default Re: mbox 3 mini DI - really low levels

Any reaction on the track meter? Plugins on the track attenuating?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 AM

the meter on the track just barely reads signal, and turning up/down the gain on the DI doesn't affect the meter at all. Stays at about -40 it seems.

I did download a driver update for the Mbox after making this post though, havent had a chance to see if that fixed the problem yet. Will be checking that out later today.

the plug in (eleven-free) seemed to be getting the same amount of signal as the track meter was displaying... a tiny bit, but not enough to work with.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM

create a new PT session. Go into I/O setup and default everything. Make sure to delete any existing paths first.

Plug your mono (unbalanced) patch cable into the bottom middle jack "Line/DI 02" push in the bottom farthest to the left when looking at the back to make input 02 DI rather than Line level.

On the front of the mbox turn the mix knob all the way to the right for P/B or playback. Push in the "Gain 02" knob and turn to 12-o-clock. Turn the big master volume knob (far right) to about 9-o-clock. (its turned down to prevent feedback just in case you will turn it up after everything looks good in pro tools).

In ProTools Creat a mono Audio track. Select Input 02 as its input select out 1-2 as its outputs record enable it. You should have decent levels in the green showing in pro tools. If you dont slowly turn the "gain 02" knob ro the right until your signal gets just into the yellow portion of the meter. Oh now is a good time to mention "input level monitoring" should be enabled in the options drop down. but it should not effect anything unless you have done something outside of these directions. Let us know how all that works out.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM

This is going to sound nasty and I really don't mean it in a nasty way, but those are almost common sense instructions. I actually already did all of those steps before even posting here.

I updated my Mbox drivers, and updated my pro tools to 8.0.4cs2 still no dice...

Also i wanted to mention that no matter which DI I'm using (CH1 or CH2) the track input in pro tools has to be set to input 2 (regardless of which channel on my mbox I'm actually using) to get that tiny amount of signal I was talking about earlier. And my I/O settings do not reflect this behavior...

Thanks for the advice/tips I've gotten so far!! I haven't seen this kind thing anywhere on the internet, so I'm starting to think the kid sold me a bunk Mbox and I should just ask for my money back...
Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM

are you able to try it on another machine? That would be my next step. with second hand gear who knows.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-18-2012, 02:32 PM

That is a good idea, I'll do that next. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Whch version of PT? if its 9 or 10, is the Mbox selected as the audio engine?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 PM

Pro Tools 8.0.5 as of about 10 minutes ago... still having the problem.

ya the mbox is selected as the engine...

man this really sucks. i dont wanna have to hunt for another one!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM

so i've decided it is shot, and i ordered another one. hoping for the best... thanks for all the help here guys!