Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2002, 01:22 PM

Default digi will not be out within the next couple of weeks at least

So my warranty is expiring june 10th and some inputs don't work...so I'm sending it in. I asked the guy what happens if there's an update when my system is in/out of warranty. He said well the update won't be out before your warranty expires. (and seemed to know this VERY WELL...so I'm thinking it's not even close) I told him they said it was supposed to be out in may and he said it got bumped back behind other things?
Old 05-30-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Re: digi will not be out within the next couple of weeks at least

Perhaps it's the masochist in me, but I was having more fun being in the dark about this and reading all the entertaining complaint threads...

Still, thanks for the info...I guess now we can all speculate/complain about what it was that the LE update was bumped behind. Maybe the 5.3.1 version for Mac is coming out tomorrow?

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] paul [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2002, 01:45 PM

A friend of mine who has an XP-equipped PC also called customer service and asked when the driver would be available, the reply - NOT UNTIL JULY!!! I couldn't believe it, this was just days after David Sumich had said they were in their "final lap" of beta testing and should be done soon. I don't know if it is a case of tech Support not knowing and throwing out an arbitrary date, or if they just aren't informing us DUCers. Either way, I severely doubt that it has been put on the back burner for a new mac update. AFAIK, the only thing different is that it runs on XP, I don't believe there are any 'new' features included.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:56 PM

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
ai caramba, doesn't predict anything good.
Let's hope it's just because of bad communication between the developers and the customer service [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2002, 02:04 PM

My homey was dating this girl who's Father has an Uncle who's Grandson knew someone who has heard of pro tools, and he doesn't think 5.3 will be out until January of 2003. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I hope that's just a rumor though.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:49 PM

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2002, 02:54 PM

I wouldn't bank on anything somebody on some phone said or (especially) sales weasel -er- people tell you.
I believe what the engineers that are actually on the project tell us, and that's the list.

If they're like other companies' phone answerers, the phone tech support people are part-time high schoolers that don't know.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:35 PM

i just got back from atlanta and while there we took a nice little visit to Guitar Center. I was actually suprised by most of the workers and what they actually knew about a lot of the products. Still i sensed a "well i know all this things simply because i work at a guitar store", but all in all they did know more then most other big chain stores i have been to.

Anyway i was talking with the recording folks and asked a few questions about some software and Direct connect. When i told him i was running pt on a PC he just laughed at me in a very mocking kind of way. I gave him the benifit of the doubt and told him that sure at this point mac is much more reliable then pc running win 98 or me. Then i told him "the fastest PC chips are about 2 times as fast as the fastest mac chips". Dude nearly pee-ed himself in anger. Anyway we spoke for a while about this issue, and then he continued by telling me that DC wasnt even supported on the pc version of pt (very much like my dad can beat up your dad kind of way). Then i told him that the xp release is about to come out (within the month fingers crossed) with DC support, and once again a bout of loud mocking laughter. He grabbed the other dudes from recording to join in his joyish folly, which they all quickly partook.

Anyway they all told me that mac OSx wasnt getting support till around december of this year, and there was no way that Pt for xp, which comes from a mac focused company, would be released first. Anyway, i will say that these music store dudes are good at selling stuff by convincing folks about what they think they might possibly know. I mean really after this conversation this guy was pretty cool, but i will say uninformed about the truth. He spoke in a very fact like mannor, and used this convention that his friend went to in which he talked to Mr. Avid himself (a little embellishment never hurts a story), who told him this personally.

XP support will very likely be out within the next month. The thought of all these extra features mentioned that we are rumored to be getting just excites me. If even just some of these rumors are true then i am very excited, and will keep waiting, but thats just me.

Christian
Old 05-30-2002, 03:53 PM

I personnally work for a big software company in the special effects and compositing industry( and which I won't reveal the name : ) ). I work in support.

Let me tell you that when it come for maintenance release or update, there is always a lot of confusion between the different departments and the reason is very simple. You can plan ahead with your beta testing but you never know what is going to happen during the beta process. You can have a branch that will fix a couple big issue but they will introduce other one, maybe worst. And it can happen in the last beta version!! So even tough you "plan" to release at a certain date, you cannot be sure. And I am not even talking about executive decision : )!!!

Anyway I rather have a stable release then a buggy-quick-release.

My 2 cents ( canadian!!! )

METAL PAT