Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Default AudioSuite results in "unable to create a new audio file on drive"

Hi all,

just got a very annoying problem. Whenever I try to process audio with AudioSuite on a projecy saved on my audio partition I get a warning pop up saying "unable to create a new audio file on drive "MEDIA" ". This does not happen when I record, so PT can actually making new audiofiles on the disk.

My "MEDIA" partition is dedicated to audio recording and does not have any applications on it.

I am not able to repair permissions on the disk, that does not show up in Disk Utility as an option.

Any idea what I can do?

cheers,
gorgon

Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3
OSX 10.6.2

Last edited by gorgon; 04-02-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-02-2010, 07:55 AM

Default Re: AudioSuite results in "unable to create a new audio file on drive"

I tried to make a project on the partition where the operating system is but then I get the same message but with my OS partition, "unable to create a new audio file on drive "OS"".

???
Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM

It sounds like you're trying to record on your internal system drive. Whether it's partitioned to separates or not, this is NOT recommended or supported. You must record audio to an external firewire drive (USB drives are not supported, either).

If it's been working up to this point, you've been lucky.

Also, you can only repair permissions on a disk that has an OS on it. Since your audio partition doesn't have an OS sitting there, you can only verify or repair the catalog of the disk.

Check these guys for good FW drive solutions: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...W800_FW400_USB
Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
IYou must record audio to an external firewire drive (USB drives are not supported, either).

If it's been working up to this point, you've been lucky.
That sounds ridiculous. If PT was depending on an external FireWire HD to work it would exclude most people working on a laptop with M-Audio devices, who only have one FW port, since that port is used for the soundcard.

I can see that this troubleshooting page says so. If it is a fact then that dependency should really be blinking in huge red letters on the product itself so that people know that before buying the software (and the other dependency - the soundcard).

Still, I can record in multichannel just fine, but offine AudioSuite processing is not working. If it is a disk I/O problem then it is a strange one and surely not a fault of the hardware not meeting standards.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Like I said, if you continue to have problems you won't get support from Digi or anyone else here because you're not supposed to be recording to the internal drive.

I have 7 ProTools rigs, 5 of them HD and two of them LE/M-Powered. The M-Ps are on a MacBook Pro (earlier 15" with ExpressCard slot) and a G5. External drives have always been the 'norm' and never caused problems, and on the MBPro, the interface is on the built-in FW port with the drive on an ExpressCard port, keeping the busses separate.

There's LOTS of information on how to have a happy, working system. Otherwise, proceed at your own risk...
Old 04-06-2010, 06:49 PM

FWIW lots of people record on laptops using an external FW drive. It's easy to chain them together and providing you have a drive with an approved Oxford FW chipset, they will share the bandwidth and work just fine on 1 FW buss.

Trust me it works. I've been using this kind of setup for 4 years without any problems. Whats better is that there are a bunch of drives and kits out there you can put together yourself using 2.5 size drives so they are quiet and take up little space.
PT Mpowered 8.04, Logic 9.1.1
Waves SSL,Omnisphere,Korg Legacy Digital
Absynth 4, EZ Drummer
Project Mix I/O w/ Black Lion Mod
Axiom 61,25, Korg Nano Pad
Old 02-25-2011, 01:55 AM

I just got this problem on my external FW800 drive...
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 15 GB ram, HD2 Accel, 192 I/O, PT 10, Mac OS 10.6.8. Dedicated internal drives for system and sample libraries. Recording few tracks on a network Synology NAS. More tracks on a Western Digital external FW800 drive. VI's from NI (Komplete 7), Toontrack, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Vienna, MOTU (BPM), Ivory and a bunch of other plugs.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:35 PM

If anyone else has this problem, here's what to do:

Go to Setup --> Disk Allocation. Under the 'Root Media Folder,' every single one of the tracks should be rooted to the Audio Files folder inside your session folder. Should be a simple fix if you just re-route the problem track's root media to the right place.