Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Trying to connect PT M-powered 8 to Yamaha MX61

Can anyone help me with this basic operation? I have PT M-powered 8 and I am trying to connect my Yamaha Mx61 as an instrument or directly to an audio track via USB. I have the USB driver installed already. thanks.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:06 PM

Default Connection problems to Yamaha MX61

Can anyone help me with this basic operation? I have PT M-powered 8 and I am trying to connect my Yamaha Mx61 as an instrument or directly to an audio track via USB. I have the USB driver installed already. thanks.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Connection problems to Yamaha MX61

You cannot aggregate the USB audio connection to the keyboard with your audio interface. Not with MPowered or at all. And you cannot use the keyboard alone as a USB interface with MPowered. So if you want to record the Audio do that via the line outs from the keyboard going to your interface. If you desperately wanted to digitally record audio direct from the keyboard I would look for another DAW, maybe even free Audacity just to use to track with.

For MIDI stuff you need to follow the basic MIDI setup instructions for the keyboard and for Pro Tools. Most problems start by not understanding/properly setting the MIDI addresses of devices. Once you have midi events coming from the keyboard you need to create an instrument track and insert a virtual instrument plugin on that track. If all that is new to you start with tutorials on YouTube, they will cover basics of connecting midi keyboards and working with VIs.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Trying to connect PT M-powered 8 to Yamaha MX61

If you're only connecting it to your computer through USB, then you'll have to set it up as a MIDI controller, create an instrument track and insert a VI: http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...nts-pro-tools/

If you just want to record the sound that the keyboard is making, then you should connect a TRS cable from its output to an input on your audio interface.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 12-29-2015, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Trying to connect PT M-powered 8 to Yamaha MX61

Thanks JoelG

The part I'm confused with is creating a VI for the Yamaha MX61 how do i do that?? i can play the keyboard as a controller but i want to be able to get the sounds for the MX61 and play them back via USB/Midi.

Every time I record midi data via a USB cable to protools I can't hear the sounds or playback sounds from the Yamaha MX61 controller unless I have a 1/4" cable plugged into the keyboard. I am supposed to be able to hear stern sounds via the USB cable

HELP!!!!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:39 PM

"For MIDI stuff you need to follow the basic MIDI setup instructions for the keyboard and for Pro Tools. Most problems start by not understanding/properly setting the MIDI addresses of devices. Once you have midi events coming from the keyboard you need to create an instrument track and insert a virtual instrument plugin on that track. If all that is new to you start with tutorials on YouTube, they will cover basics of connecting midi keyboards and working with VIs."

The part in you post I don't get is ( I know basic midi stuff and I know how to create an instrument track and insert a Virtual instrument) but what I don't understand is what Virtual instrument do I insert? any instrument? and what does it has to do with the midi signal that I cannot hear coming from the MX61 that is recorded in PT???

I sorry to be so ignorant about this issue and it seems like you know what your talking about.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 PM

To the OP : Please do Not start multiple threads of the same topic as it is against forum guidelines.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldwes04 View Post
The part in you post I don't get is ( I know basic midi stuff and I know how to create an instrument track and insert a Virtual instrument) but what I don't understand is what Virtual instrument do I insert? any instrument? and what does it has to do with the midi signal that I cannot hear coming from the MX61 that is recorded in PT???

I sorry to be so ignorant about this issue and it seems like you know what your talking about.
MIDI has no sound, I'm not getting what you expect to hear. We've already covered the sound issue, if you want to record the "sound" from the keyboard with Pro Tools MP you need to do that via line in to your interface. Not USB audio.

MIDI has no sound. It is digital instructions to press keys, futz with pedals, change settings, etc. What do you want the MIDI keystrokes you are entering to sound like? Synth? What one? Guitar? Orchestral Strings? Bongo drums? We have no idea. Entirely up to you. This is where you need to go to YouTube and find a VI getting started tutorial video. Lots of other places also have paid online lessons (e.g. Pro Tools expert, Linda.com). The canonical simple VI to use to test things with in Pro Tools is "Mini Grand"

You can record MIDI to a MIDI track and play that back to your keyboard and then record the audio from that back into Pro Tools. But that does not seem to be what you are asking.

You mentioned in a PM you use Logic. If I was messing around getting started with VIs and MIDI Logic Pro is really better in many regards than Pro Tools. But the concepts of VIs and MIDI are similar. And overall Logic Pro X blows away Pro Tools MP. Many folks (including me) would prefer Pro Tools (standard or HD) for mixing or tracking audio, but for MIDI or VI Logic is fantastic.