Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM

Default Re: will ProTools 9 work with Digi 002 ?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...02-003-Drivers

here is where i seen the drivers for the 002 with protools 9 on the avid support drivers page.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:49 AM

The initial release brought support for PT9, but they will work with newer versions as well. Where it says "not supported/untested" just means that Avid aren't specifically supporting the 002 with those versions, however the latest drivers do work for the 002.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertosoong View Post
Likely you got ripped off. The software has either been activated or came on a pre-activated iLok and they are selling you useless discs and a few bits of worthless paper. You don't ever need the discs since you can download all the version 9 software from Avid's web site. If you think you have enough stuff there to register and activate an license then go do it,... You don't even need an iLok to test just an iLok.com account, register/activate it and just get the license deposited in that account. I'll betcha that won't work... go ask for your money back and/or report the seller to EBay.

Quote:
being told at guitar center they have a ilok i can purchase 50$ that has the licenses and registration info for protools 9 that i can use for the system I'm building.
That is likely not true/I would be very surprised, an iLok 2 costs about $50 with no licenses on it. They most likely are selling you a blank iLok 2 and you need to install a license on it. Which you likely cannot do since the Pro Tools 9 you purchased was already activated to a different iLok. The person you are dealing with may be totally clueless and/or you both may be misunderstanding what the other is saying/asking. You are going to entirely the wrong place for useful help. If you want sales folks that have a clue try Sweetwater.

Joel is already helping you With advice.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
ok well let me start from the beginning, i have had protools twice before and had my home broken into, so now choose not to let people record or even know what i have. now I'm starting over. first i purchased my mac from amazon that had el capitan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Is that the exact config remanufactured MacBook Pro you have? 4GB is not sufficient for Pro Tools 12 and barely enough for Pro Tools 9. You can at least open up this model MacBook Pro and add memory to it. I would just max out the memory and get a third party 16GB SODIMM kit for it, especially if running Pro Tools 12. The 4800 RPM internal drive will make the whole thing appear sluggish. You will need a dedicated audio/session drive, in these older MacBook Pros a good way to do that is to install a SATA SSD like a Samsung 850 Evo or Pro into the optical drive bay using a mount kit from OWC (but get a Samsubg SSD not an OWC SSD). While doing that I would also swap the 4800 RPM system/boot drive an SSD as well. That is much better than trying to share your FireWire bus with a 002 and external audio/session drive.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-21-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:23 AM

You need to do some careful thinking here.

If you have an actual usable license for Pro Tools 12 and can max out the memory in your MacBook Pro then personally I would do a full clean install of Yosemite (not El Capitan) and try the latest Pro Tools 12.5.2. Given how many folks have problems with that however you might need to go back to 12.4, which might take a call to Avid support to get the installer dropped into your Avid account.

Either way you need a dedicated audio/session drive so while opening up the MacBook Pro to add memory I would take care of that as well with the OWC optical drive tray/SSD.

Given the likely run of bad things here... Do you actually have a full Pro Tools 12 software/license? Purchased from Avid or a dealer or where exactly? You have an actual iLok that you can see the Pro Tools 12 licenses on with the iLok license manager? Let's be clear on that before you start doing more stuff, otherwise Your only option may be Pro Tools 8 or to have to purchase a proper Pro Tools 12 license or subscription (a one month subscription would be a good idea to get this working and tested if you really do not have a license).
Old 07-21-2016, 12:47 PM

ok thanks for the reply but i believe your not reading what i actually said. when i was trying to get protools 8 the regular version, no m-power just 8 it didn't work. i have the license for it also. so then i was about to purchase protools 12 just to not worry about the problem anymore, but then found out 12 didn't work on the 002 console or at least hasn't been tested. 12 is 500$ and I'm told if i purchased i got it i couldn't return it.
so i looked into protools 9 regular no m-powered and i have that for now. maybe this cleared it up
Old 07-21-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
ok thanks for the reply but i believe your not reading what i actually said. when i was trying to get protools 8 the regular version, no m-power just 8 it didn't work. i have the license for it also. so then i was about to purchase protools 12 just to not worry about the problem anymore, but then found out 12 didn't work on the 002 console or at least hasn't been tested. 12 is 500$ and I'm told if i purchased i got it i couldn't return it.
so i looked into protools 9 regular no m-powered and i have that for now. maybe this cleared it up
I am not sure who you are replying to, and I suspect everybody replying here have carefully read what you wrote. If folks are saying stuff its to clarify what you are saying or make sure you have full/clear information.

Now you can go back and read what I wrote several posts ago, which is if you want to run Pro Tools 8 you should have followed the fairly standard troubleshooting steps for the particular error you were getting. Lots of old posts on DUC and other forums about that error. It looks like you didn't and you jumped on installing Pro Tools 9, and I suspect you don't have a Pro Tools 9 license, so that may be a dead-end plan.

See a pattern here of what might be causing problems? And it's not caused by me or anybody else not clearly reading your posts.

So get your **** together, stop jumping around and work out what you really want to do and do it. If you have problems ask folks here what you should do next. Don't go off and decide for yourself what to do next without getting help. And besides some Guitar Center sales rep I'm not sure where you are getting bad advice from, but stop listening to whoever that is. Pro Tools 8 or 9 (if you have a license) or 12 (or 10 or 11) (if you want to buy a Pro Tools 12 license) are all options, you need to decide what you want to do.

Get yourself sorted out starting with do you actually have a Pro Tools 9 license or not? Go confirm you can read a license off the iLok (if Guitar Center really is selling you an iLok with a Pro Tools 9 license on it... I'd be surprised) with the iLok License Manager, or register/activate a license so it is transferred into your iLok.com account. Lets us know when you have done either of those.

If you really want to install Pro Tools 8 then go install (ideally onto a new perfectly clean OS X install) that and troubleshoot if needed. And whatever you do start by getting your MacBook Pro configured with enough RAM and a proper disk setup. If you only have 4GB in that MBP that may be just have enough DRAM for Pro Tools 8 or 9 definitely not 12.

You are worried about buying and returning Pro Tools 12? I already specifically addressed that by pointing out you can do a one month subscription to try it out. How about you more carefully read all the replies here? Who are these mystery people telling you stuff? A Guitar Center sales rep again? A really good sales rep would have pointed out the way to try out Pro Tools 12 is a one month subscription, and come back and buy from them once you are happy.

And make sure you are following exactly the correct Pro Tools Installation Guide, and are also fully optimizing that Mac for that version of OS X and Pro Tools (instructions are in the Installation Guides).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-21-2016 at 07:13 PM.