Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2001, 10:29 AM

Default Re: \"Why I\'m glad ProTools is expensive\"- An essay

Hi,

I should have qualified what I said.
I read the specs and I have seen Paris software. They don't have an implementation anywhere close the the functionality of TDM.

I still wouldn't buy a Paris on a bet.

tech
Old 03-12-2001, 10:55 AM

"I read the specs and I have seen Paris software. They don't have an implementation anywhere close the the functionality of TDM."

What specifically are they missing - I've seen and heard Paris, and I was pretty impressed.

Mike
Old 03-12-2001, 09:01 PM

If you can find some old mags about the time when PT first came out..it might be entertaining to read at this point.

It won't be much longer before a current TDM system with 6 farm cards slaved to video decks with its ganglia of wires and expansion boxes is gonna look more like a computer on life support wheezing thru one PCI bus error after another..if your not already.

The same things have been said many times in the past...about the low cost of entry for PT systems compared to a room full of analog gear. Its just ironic its being said now..on the boards of the very company that started the whole digital revolution.

If you really want to see this whole thing in full swing..check out any video boards. I can tell you..the beta sp guys are for the most part..not real excited about the whole DV movement..nor how its changed the tone of their forums. Junior got a DV deck with timecode and machine control for 1200. But he's not frame accurate and doesn't even care.

Who knows what all this will look like in a few years. I do know one thing..there will still be a high end..and a low end..and there will still be pros at doing this..and..well..non pros. I also know that it will be considerably cheaper than it is right now.

I think overall..it will benefit everyone.
Junior with the DV deck..and camera..will probably have a much deeper respect and interest in how much hard work, dedication and time it takes to run a succesful business. And..the pro's..while irrated at the influx of "rif raff" into their club..will continue to benifit with reliable, easier to use..and cost effective tools for their business.

Digi started this whole revolution. Bringing the price down for entry into the pro studio market. It will be very interesting to see how they handle this next technology curve.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:37 AM

Tech_head:

Maybe you should be more specific again.

http://www.emu.com/tankersley.html

Paris System in Nashville:

based around what Tankersley says is the "largest digital audio workstation on the planet." And at 96 tracks, 120 analog and 60 digital inputs*, it just might be.

Now I don't know if it is the largest on the planet, but your last post was at best inaccurate.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:55 AM

Hi,

Does Paris still do that stupid hidden mix thing? They say 96 tracks but are *ALL* available to be adjusted on the fly at anytime?

Can you instantiate *ANY* effect on *ANY* audio channel and not have to worry about mixer implementation or card order?

Can any input be assigned to any track/bus/aux input?

tech
Old 03-13-2001, 10:57 AM

Yes they have virtual tracks (so does PT now) but if you have the Horses, you can access all of them at once.

Answers to other questions:

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Hey I am a PT guy too - but it sounds like we are pledging alegance to a logo here instead intellegently examining the state-of-the-art.

This all started from a concern I have about price protection against decreases. I think things look pretty shaky right now.