Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-30-2014, 12:29 AM

Default I give up (Sad

i am new to PT world. I thought I would give it a go since it is the obvious progression for most being the "industry standard" and all that.

None of my interfaces worked so I do a bit of research and see the Native hd thunderbolt could be a great option for me as it could even be portable.

I look at prices and get shocked at €4,500 so I take a look at the 2nd hand market. It was possible to get everything individual for about half the price. Still out of my budget but I do what I can and go ahead and buy the separates. Native HD eBay for €1009, Omni local for €1,000, and here's where I thought I was being real clever PT software with a free eleven rack. I think I have it all in the bag. So I go find a second hand MacBook Pro.

Everything arrives... I try all the gear.... It's not happening. I search high and low... Must be the thunderbolt cable I think, I buy new one..... Nope... Turns out the thunderbolt slot is actually only a mini display port they just happen to look exactly the same!!

My wife agrees to buy my laptop so I can afford to get a Mac mini and use our HDTV.
Mac mini comes... Another €1,000 It's the new one only dual core... Ok whatever...Hook everything up... Lights are shining.
Great!!

What's this!! My native HD shows but won't fire up in PT? ..... Forums forums forums ...oh you need a HD licence for that.....
Ahhh crap! So how much is an upgrade from my "free" PT 11 to HD?

What's this!! You can't!!! You have to buy a whole new one ..... another €1,000

Sorry Avid even if I did know how complicated all this was going to be there is no way in hell I can justify spending that much on software and after all that I just don't have it!

You may claim I'm a dunce for being ignorant/negligent by not doing proper research and getting caught out... Fair enough. Even so... There's something not right here. A lot of entry level folks trying to get some good sound going at home... This is Avids bread and butter we should be looked after not charged extortionately.

Honestly I've had enough, I may try and use the setup with Digital Performer or some other such DAW or just Re-Sell.

I know in the heal of the hunt nobody really gives a hoot but I'm sure I'm not the only one to make these mistakes....I just thought Id share my story. If nothing else it may give you s chuckle...

What is it that Homer says?
Old 10-30-2014, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Any difference in sound Quality HD NATIVE v HDX?

You mention "entry level folks". The Protools HD systems have never been entry level products and have never been marketed as such.

But I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

It just goes to show that trying to save a little bit here and there is often not worth it compared to buying a complete system from an authorized dealer and the help that comes with that.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM

Default Re: I give up (Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splodge View Post
i am new to PT world. I thought I would give it a go since it is the obvious progression for most being the "industry standard" and all that.

None of my interfaces worked so I do a bit of research and see the Native hd thunderbolt could be a great option for me as it could even be portable.

I look at prices and get shocked at €4,500 so I take a look at the 2nd hand market. It was possible to get everything individual for about half the price. Still out of my budget but I do what I can and go ahead and buy the separates. Native HD eBay for €1009, Omni local for €1,000, and here's where I thought I was being real clever PT software with a free eleven rack. I think I have it all in the bag. So I go find a second hand MacBook Pro.

Everything arrives... I try all the gear.... It's not happening. I search high and low... Must be the thunderbolt cable I think, I buy new one..... Nope... Turns out the thunderbolt slot is actually only a mini display port they just happen to look exactly the same!!

My wife agrees to buy my laptop so I can afford to get a Mac mini and use our HDTV.
Mac mini comes... Another €1,000 It's the new one only dual core... Ok whatever...Hook everything up... Lights are shining.
Great!!

What's this!! My native HD shows but won't fire up in PT? ..... Forums forums forums ...oh you need a HD licence for that.....

Sorry Avid even if I did know how complicated all this was going to be there is no way in hell I can justify spending that much on software and after all that I just don't have it!

You may claim I'm a dunce for being ignorant/negligent by not doing proper research and getting caught out... Fair enough. Even so... There's something not right here. A lot of entry level folks trying to get some good sound going at home... This is Avids bread and butter we should be looked after not charged extortionately.

Honestly I've had enough, I may try and use the setup with Digital Performer or some other such DAW or just Re-Sell.

I know in the heal of the hunt nobody really gives a hoot but I'm sure I'm not the only one to make these mistakes....I just thought Id share my story. If nothing else it may give you s chuckle...

You didn't think there was a catch? PT HD are sold as SYSTEMS and that is how you get a HD license. Only other option is crossgrading regular PT with CPTK to full HD license, but that is an exception. And as you said, you're new to this so it isn't your option (unless you grab a 2nd hand CPTK license as well).
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM

Default Re: I give up (Sad

Quote:

Great!!

It's sad that you have had these problems and I feel for you but, couple of things there which relates to doing proper research prior to buying a product, in this case Pro Tools.

1- what was the interface that you had before hand that you say could not work, cause PT (vanilla) works with a good amount of thrid parties interfaces.
2- Had you come on any forum, a la DUC, gearslut etc to verify that your interface did not work?
3-What were you coming from in terms of Daw, and had you asked other peers which of the version of Pro Tools from express to Vanilla or HD you needed?
4- When you bought the HD native online, did you get the hardware transfer done, in which you and the seller would have been told that the software license HAD to be transfered with the card and interface that you needed for the Card.
5- Did you fill out the Hardware transfer form?

I'm really not saying this to be a jack*ss, but these are things that should be checked before making a purchase.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM

I have a friend who decided that if he installed a high end front end alignment machine in his home garage, he could take care of himself, his friends and maybe make some money on the side.
He purchased a used Hunter machine, and was stunned to find out that all of the parts, accessories and peripherals were going to cost about another $100K, and the service calls are horrendously expensive.

Very similar situation to Pro Tools HD.
I am still trying to find out why the majority of people seem to need HD.
Vanilla is an incredibly powerful system.
If you feel you can't do work with vanilla, I don't think HD is going to help you.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM

Thanks all Apreciate your comments.

NTS7, I think you are right that it has always been for commercial use but this is now rapidly changing the latest figures show people running pro tools out of their bedroom far outweigh the professional studio. Avid knows this and rightly so want to get in on the volume game. I don't see why they can't do something like reaper offering one licence for commercial and another for an individual.

EmchaAudio, the UA1G and M-audio mixer weren't recognised., I did search some forums and saw similar posts relating to only certain gear and better quality which led me to the omni-native option. -- The DAW I've been using is Logic Pro and I did not ask anyone's opinion as sometimes that can get messy but as you see I made a mess anyway ---- I did not get any hardware transfer form. I had no Idea one existed.---- I did not fill out a hardware transfer form, do you think the seller could find it and send it on?

JFreak, Thankyou CPTK could be a good option, I will look into it.

Bookerv12, I'm not sure that it is a very similar situation as your friend as all need is the software and it works. I actually have it all working already on a trial licence but that will end soon.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks all Apreciate your comments.

NTS7, I think you are right that it has always been for commercial use but this is now rapidly changing the latest figures show people running pro tools out of their bedroom far outweigh the professional studio. Avid knows this and rightly so want to get in on the volume game. I don't see why they can't do something like reaper offering one licence for commercial and another for an individual.

EmchaAudio, the UA1G and M-audio mixer weren't recognised., I did search some forums and saw similar posts relating to only certain gear and better quality which led me to the omni-native option. -- The DAW I've been using is Logic Pro and I did not ask anyone's opinion as sometimes that can get messy but as you see I made a mess anyway ---- I did not get any hardware transfer form. I had no Idea one existed.---- I did not fill out a hardware transfer form, do you think the seller could find it and send it on?

JFreak, Thankyou CPTK could be a good option, I will look into it.

Bookerv12, I'm not sure that it is a very similar situation as your friend as all need is the software and it works. I actually have it all working already on a trial licence but that will end soon.
Which mixer? The PMIO? It's working with PT, peripheral under hui, But.. here's the kicker there hasn't been a driver for windows 8, it worked on windows 7, but I don't know if it worked on windows 8 and at that point it's no Avid's fault as M-Audio has been sold in 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cologne71 View Post
My projectmix works fine with PT 11.

Important as mentioned before:
- Firewire chipset from TI
- choose legacy driver in windows device manager

HUI isn´t officially supported by avid anymore but it still runs.

As for the UAG-1, did you and the others tried Asio4all? if you're on a pc ofcourse.

For the transfer form you have to go on Avid's website. Here's the link
http://www.avid.com/BR/support/transfer/audio

Both of you have to fill it in, but follow what's written on that page.

See also this on that page.

Quote:
Pro Tools License

The Pro Tools license is included with Pro Tools core hardware systems and cannot be sold separately (this includes any upgrades to the Pro Tools software). If you sell a core system, the included Pro Tools license then becomes the property of the new owner, and all future update and upgrade rights are transferred as well.

The seller is responsible for providing all Pro Tools software and Pro Tools authorizations for that software that should be included with a used core system. If the current software and authorizations were not included, the buyer must purchase a Pro Tools software upgrade from the Store or an Authorized Avid Reseller. All purchased Pro Tools upgrades are complete installers that do not require previous installation of Pro Tools or registration, either to purchase or install the Pro Tools upgrades.
The problem is that you cannot buy Pro tools HD stand alone, so you will have to get in touch with the seller so he fills in the part of the transfer form and hands you the license and transfer it from his Ilok to your own Ilok. The seller hasn't transferred the license and without it you can't work PTHD which you need for the Native card and interface, as you do need an interface to connect to the HD native card, either from Avid or Apogee.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-02-2014, 05:53 AM

Thank-you for the info Manny.

I have contacted the seller, heres hoping he helps out with filling in the form.
I do have an avid Omni, purchased locally for the outboard interface.

Do you have any idea how much the upgrade licence is? (doubt he will send ilok code)

Merci beaucoup!

EDIT: quick update for anyone following or in a similar situation in future.

No go with seller, says he never registered and is not first owner
Recommended buying 2nd hand HD license with a gearsluTz link.

I am in a Dilemma if I should re-sell or keep the Native HD thunderbolt
Because in the mean time I can use it for extra processing power in LPX???
While I brush up my skills in PT LE and hopefully pick up a licence maybe next year.
So Since I already have a good foundation for a pro studio why not hold on?

On the other hand if I do sell there is a lot of plug ins I would
Find more useful then the hardware in the meantime.

Decisions Decisions....

I'm not taking this too seriously, lots of other things to worry about
but it would be nice to get something sorted none the less.

Anybody want to buy an omni and hd native? Lol

Last edited by Splodge; 11-03-2014 at 01:54 AM.