Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 06-23-2019, 05:43 AM

Default No Audio Even Tho Clips Are Visible

Sometimes after freezing and unfreezing a track (midi or audio), even tho the clip is visible and is highlighted in the clip list, no audio is heard. This only occurs after closing and reopening a session.

Things I've tried:

Shut down everything and reboot
drag and drop clip from clip list onto current track and onto new track
uninsert the instrument and reinsert
replace XPand2 with MiniGrand
copy a clip from another track onto the offending track
playback engine is set at 1024 / 1gb cache
bribery...

I've searched this forum as well as the rest of the web and only came up with one similar problem, but it involved losing the clip entirely (not visible in the edit window; not listed in the clip list.

I haven't tried importing the clip from a backup copy yet, but I don't think I should have to; the clip is there in the timeline. I can see it/ I can highlight it, I can move it...everything but hear it.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks.

iMac (mid 2011)
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 83.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 1.71f22
Hardware UUID: 08EC44C7-DE0D-5B08-847D-25FAFE8BC8AF

Presonus 192 interface usb 3.0
1tb ext HDD for songs and sample libraries.
macOS Sierra ver. 10.12.6

Last edited by Ellis Beckwith; 06-23-2019 at 06:21 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-23-2019, 02:58 PM

Default Re: No Audio Even Tho Clips Are Visible

First, welcome to DUC.

Did you try trashing prefs? (a silly as it seems, always try that). See under troubleshooting steps under "Help Us Help You" up the top of each DUC web page. But just get Peter Gates PT Tools utility: http://petegates.com/pg-pt-prefs.html

You are not getting caught up in the Solo mode bug in 2019.5 are you? Like be sure you are not soloing anything when playing with this. (Just a wild ass guess you may be trying to hear just this clip and soloing stuff). http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404671

Otherwise can you reproduce it in a tiny session and get to Avid support. Or share session/exact steps online and we can try.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:28 AM

Thanks Darryl. Yes, I've trashed the prefs twice. This behavior is so random I don't think I can intentionally reproduce it. Next time it happens I'll stop immediately and try to reconstruct my steps. I read the thread about the soloing bug and I'll check into that.

Last edited by Ellis Beckwith; 06-24-2019 at 04:29 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 AM

Hey Ellis, as Darryl said "welcome"...
(Shawnee Hills is a beautiful part of the state, btw...)

I thought I'd let you know that we're also experiencing what you are describing. (have tried all the same trouble-shooting steps you've mentioned as well without resolution)
The only consistent workaround I've found here is to shut down PT, restart the MacPro, then restart PT. That will get me one clean session. Once I switch to the next session, however, random track dropouts occur- tracks are visible, just no playback. All of the sessions I'm working on have multiple frozen tracks.

Some background:
I just started experiencing this bug yesterday after I "upgraded" our system's OS from 10.13.2 to 10.13.6. (PT Ult. 2019.5.0)

We've been on 10.13.2 since it came out, with various versions of PTU- they've all been very stable & the system gets a ton of use. Audio/VI's/fairly big tracking & mixing sessions/etc...

Normally, I do a clean install of the OS & PT to a new drive, but yesterday, for s/w compato & time constraint reasons, I tried to get away with a quickie OS update thinking "it's just a 'dot update', no prob !"
Wrong answer...

Anyhoo... fortunately we've got a system clone, so I'll be reverting to that later today. That's the only solution I can see at this point. Then I'll try a clean install to get back to 10.13.6 when I get some time.
I'll try to remember to post the outcome at that time, but it may be a week or two... just thought I'd let ya' know you're not the only one seeing this.

Lastly, I realize you are on an earlier OS, but was just wondering if you have done an online upgrade of the OS recently (or around the time you began to experience this bug)?

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 06-26-2019, 07:19 PM

Well Rick, it's gratifying to know I'm not completely crazy. Haven't updated the OS since before I updated to PT 2019.5.0. Don't know if coincidental or not, but I haven't lost any audio since I added 16 gb of ram and installed an ssd drive for external song and sample storage.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Beckwith View Post
Well Rick, it's gratifying to know I'm not completely crazy. Haven't updated the OS since before I updated to PT 2019.5.0. Don't know if coincidental or not, but I haven't lost any audio since I added 16 gb of ram and installed an ssd drive for external song and sample storage.
Nope... def not crazy... well, at least not with THIS !
... glad the extra ram & ssd have seemed to help.
32 GB RAM & all SSDs here, so still not sure about etio. for this??
Anyhoo... glad your back up!

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Quick update - This occurs even without freezing tracks. The session I'm working on now has never had a track frozen or committed, yet still after I close as session I get instrument tracks that have no audio. un-inserting the instrument and reinserting it brings back the audio. Not a deal breaker, but certainly annoying.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I get instrument tracks that have no audio. un-inserting the instrument and reinserting it brings back the audio.
View / Mix Window Views / Instruments

Then, on the top of the intstument channel strip you have dropdown menus to control it.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Quick update - This occurs even without freezing tracks. The session I'm working on now has never had a track frozen or committed, yet still after I close as session I get instrument tracks that have no audio. un-inserting the instrument and reinserting it brings back the audio. Not a deal breaker, but certainly annoying.
Are the VI's/Inserts still showing as active on the channel? Or are they greyed out? ... As Janne pointed out, that may simply be the VIs becoming unassociated with the instrument channel "routing"... may not actually be the same issue ?? ...

My issue ended up being the FabFilter Pro-MB plug... Reproducible ... bummer b/c it's one of the few plugs I actually use quite a bit.

Are you using this plug by any chance?

I've got a case open w/ FabFilter, but haven't had any time to send them the session & info to trouble-shoot... need to get on that!

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad