Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 04:29 AM

Default DSP processor for PT LE

HEllo everybody!!

I'm working on PT LE with an Mbox 1 (wich would be changed soon..) and I have a few CPU problem when working heavy mixes. It doesn't hold..

I looking for a DSP processor wich would work on PT LE.

Does anybody know any hardware I could get???

thanks for the answer

Kernal
Old 02-11-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: DSP processor for PT LE

I suppose the obvious ones are UAD, POWERCORE, LIQUID MIX. I think they all work with PT.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:09 AM

DON'T DO IT!!! I have had nightmare problems with hardware DSP processors and latency issues. Buy a Mac Pro, I have the dual 2.66GHz Intel mac and it BLAZES at low buffer settings. No DSP needed. THe biggest session I have going right now at 128 sample buffer size is 44 tracks and 80 plugins, and still have more power to go. In that particular session my CPU's run at about 50%, and they never get hotter than 100degrees F. I can even get it to bounce at 64 sample buffer setting if I am patient (sometimes it will drop out.) I can't seem to max it out. AND I only have 1GB of RAM at the moment... far less than most people on this forum have loaded into theirs. My Mac Pro has single handedly sent my mixing potential through the roof. Especially with the Music Production Toolkit this system blazes.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Waves APA boxes are another option. I have the APA 44-M working well with PT's 7.3.1. Latency is unavoidable though, so you need to keep check of the sample shifts. Not all of their plugs work with the APA boxes also.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 PM

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!

Stay away from the Waves APA's... I had one and the latency is not only unavoidable, but unbelievably annoying! Plus all the headaches of setup and configuring, and lost time restarting and trouble shooting. URGH!!! Even when loading plugins onto the APA it still strained my CPU! Whats the point?

$1500 for the APA plus $975 for Waves Gold Native= $2475

Brand new Mac Pro dual 2.66Ghz= $2499

I returned it directly to Waves and bought my Mac Pro!!! Trust me its all you need! No DSP needed. Almost no latency issues!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:17 PM

I have not heard a single glowing report from anyone who has bought a 3rd party DSP box for PTLE.

The few that do say nice things only comment on the sound quality of the plugins, not that it is easy or convenient to use. DP, Sonar, Cubase and Logic users don't seem to have the same problems because those apps have PDC.

Until PTLE gets full plugin delay compensation, it will be a chore to analyze each track and make the necessary time adjustments for those external boxes.

It seems that OddsAre is speaking from experience - and he is echoing sentiments I've heard as well.

Are you maxing out a MacPro? Even my dual G5 is pretty powerful.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I have not heard a single glowing report from anyone who has bought a 3rd party DSP box for PTLE.

Can you say it again in bold letters?

The returns have been real inconsistent with LE setups.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!

Stay away from the Waves APA's... I had one and the latency is not only unavoidable, but unbelievably annoying! Plus all the headaches of setup and configuring, and lost time restarting and trouble shooting. URGH!!! Even when loading plugins onto the APA it still strained my CPU! Whats the point?

$1500 for the APA plus $975 for Waves Gold Native= $2475

Brand new Mac Pro dual 2.66Ghz= $2499

I returned it directly to Waves and bought my Mac Pro!!! Trust me its all you need! No DSP needed. Almost no latency issues!
Or do both...
Old 02-11-2007, 10:22 PM

UAD-1 card / plug-ins are good also. You can use a combination of both if you wish. The newest version is very stable within Pro Tools and you receive a free VST to RTAS wrapper on purchase.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:06 PM

It's funny you got all those replies yet, you haven't reported what computer do you use for your current setup...

If you're on a G4/Single G5 as others suggest - Go with MacPro or any fast computer.

DSP Future:
Even Digidesign's Instruments are all RTAS those days...

ANY DSP you'll get will have latency and will require some CPU.
And PTLE doesn't have Delay Compensation so it's pretty much not that effective.

I have 2 APAs...
Waves advantage is the fact all plug-ins for the APA are capable of running on both - native/dsp.

But as written:
- Usually you spend a lot of time troubleshooting.
- Latency is extensive.
- Some CPU Usage is still taken by those processors.

Bottom line,

Get a better computer -
Cheaper, better, upgradeable ...