Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 AM

Default Problem with MobilePre

Hello,

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but I thought I would give it a try. I have M-Powered 7.1 that I use with a MobilePre USB. I use the MobilePre for more than just ProTools. All sound from my Mac goes through my MobilePre into an audio system. I listen to a lot of music through iTunes and watch YouTube videos etc. As of last night everything was working smoothly. When I woke up this morning and turned on some music, everything sounded like it was highly compressed, almost as if everything was coming through a telephone line. I hadn't changed any setting on ANYTHING. After investigating I found out that it had to be the MobilePre. I used the direct output of the computer and sent that straight to the audio system and everything sounded fine. I also used a different input into the mobilePre and still got the same sound. Restarting my computer and updating the MobilePre driver didn't help the situation.

Basically I would like to know how to make the audio passing through the MobilePre stop sounding like music through a telephone and more like the rich audio I am used to,

Any help would be very appreciated.

Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Problem with MobilePre

Did you test Pro Tools, does it still sound fine? What OS are you running?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 PM

I am running 10.4.11 and I honestly have not checked it with ProTools, I have checked it with a bunch of programs that send out audio through it though. Safari, Quicktime, iTunes, VLC, Reason, etc. I figured if more than one program showed the same problem then it would be the Mobile Pre, and not the computer.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM

I think I have gotten one step closer to figuring out what's going on...

Here is what I know...

1. Line Out of Computer to Audio System = OK
2. Line Out of Computer to MobilePre Inputs (2) out through Stereo Jack to Audio System = OK
3. Line Out of Computer to MobilePre Inputs (2) out through Outputs (2) to Audio System = OK
4. USB Out of Computer to MobilePre out through Stereo Jack to Audio System = BAD QUALITY
5. USB Out of Computer to MobilePre out through Outputs (2) to Audio System = BAD QUALITY
6. 4 & 5 with a different USB cord = BAD QUALITY
7. 4 & 5 with a different USB port = BAD QUALITY

sorry if that is entirely confusing. I thought that would be easier then throwing it into paragraph form. Basically anytime audio is sent through USB it comes out sounding like crap. Could it be something with the USB connection inside the MobilePre? I am not sure. further help would be great.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 AM

Things are definitely pointing to a problem with the MobilePre. Have you tested with a different USB cable? Have you tried recording something through the MobilePre and playing it back through the built in output to see if the recordings are distorted?

If you could test the MobilePre on a different computer you could confirm that the problem is in fact the MobilePre.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 PM

PROBLEM RESOLVED. I got a tech from M-Audio to help. After lots of Repairing Permissions, Uninstalling the MobilePre Driver and Re-installing it as well as Downloading the 10.4.11 COMBO Update (the combo makes a difference apparently) it finally worked like a charm. Apparently the actually operating system was screwing up, not the MobilePre itself. If anyone else has a similar problem...that how mine got fixed. Thanks all.