Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2017, 12:57 AM

Default Saving pro tools 11 sessions on to USB flash drive

is it possible to save a few pro tools 11 sessions on to a USB flash drive to take back to the same studio at a later time ?

Like if I wanted to go to the studio , work on some tracks without mixing them and then return to the same exact studio at a later date to mix my songs.

It's a Mac laptop that runs everything if that helps .

I was hoping to have something where I can just plug it back into the laptop and my files will just load onto pro tools and I can mix and master quickly .

One more thing , it's my first time going to the studio. I was wondering if I'm allowed to save files onto the studio owners laptop .Do people regularly save their pro tools sessions to the studios main computer ? I would prefer that but I don't want to risk anything happening to my files .

Please help , i would greatly appreciate it

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Saving pro tools 11 sessions on to USB flash drive

The safest thing would be to ask the studio owner for what you can do as not everyone has the same policy. I know I would be nervous about someone bringing in a hard drive or thumb drive that I didn't know what was on it. Especially if a Windows computer is involved in this somewheres. The only thing in general a studio owner would allow from outside is if someone brought in their own iLok.

Really this should have been posted in the PT11 section which is in the legacy products section. Maybe one of the mods can move it?

QAPLA!
Old 10-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The safest thing would be to ask the studio owner for what you can do as not everyone has the same policy. I know I would be nervous about someone bringing in a hard drive or thumb drive that I didn't know what was on it. Especially if a Windows computer is involved in this somewheres. The only thing in general a studio owner would allow from outside is if someone brought in their own iLok.

Really this should have been posted in the PT11 section which is in the legacy products section. Maybe one of the mods can move it?
Thanks dude , learned a lil from what you wrote . Good idea I'll talk to my guy and ask him about it .

Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemendoza291074 View Post
Thanks dude , learned a lil from what you wrote . Good idea I'll talk to my guy and ask him about it .

if you want to Work from this Drive .. why not get a small portable USB 3.0 / TB drive .. of course depends on what the Studio you will work at can do .. they will probably move the session to their own drive (the ones that they know work fast and well with their system) then transfer back to your drive for you to take home ..

or they might import session data to their drive (into a blank session on their system) or they might only want stems .. or they wil import into a Template they use ..

time to get some info form Studio(s)

have fun !!!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-24-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
if you want to Work from this Drive .. why not get a small portable USB 3.0 / TB drive .. of course depends on what the Studio you will work at can do .. they will probably move the session to their own drive (the ones that they know work fast and well with their system) then transfer back to your drive for you to take home ..

or they might import session data to their drive (into a blank session on their system) or they might only want stems .. or they wil import into a Template they use ..

time to get some info form Studio(s)

have fun !!!

cheers john
I actually talked to my guy and he actually does have an external hard drive. Its a Glyph Studio firewire 2TB. He totally said I could use it .What do you recommend to use with it ? What USB or drive is good enough to hold at least 15 pro tools sessions that doesn't break the bank .

Old 10-24-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
I actually talked to my guy and he actually does have an external hard drive. Its a Glyph Studio firewire 2TB. He totally said I could use it .What do you recommend to use with it ? What USB or drive is good enough to hold at least 15 pro tools sessions that doesn't break the bank .

One more thing John , how does it exactly work ? Let's say I put it onto a USB 3.0 flash drive and take it home . What happens when I take it back to the studio at a later date ? It just plugs in and opens up your pro tools sessions right ?

It's great to actually learn stuff on this forum , you guys are great

Old 10-24-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
One more thing John , how does it exactly work ? Let's say I put it onto a USB 3.0 flash drive and take it home . What happens when I take it back to the studio at a later date ? It just plugs in and opens up your pro tools sessions right ?

It's great to actually learn stuff on this forum , you guys are great

well, that an incompete answer, sort of ..

he said you could "use it" .. does that mean he will transfer Your Session to His Drive ??

then Your Drive is just a Transfer Drive .. does this sound like what he is saying to you ???

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Default Saving pro tools 11 sessions on to USB flash drive

You have a lot to worry about. If you are working with a studio you should be asking them all this and more.

You can’t ever just rely on stuff opening up a session...

Is all the audio media content actually copied onto the drive? It is easy not to include all the audio unless you are careful to keep all the audio files in the session folder.

Does the system you are using have all the plugins used in the session (and licenses for them) installed?

Is the version of Pro Tools compatible with the session? This is more often an issue with features used in the session and not just if Pro Tools will open the session at all.

What filesystems type is on the external media? e.g. if you want to work in that drive as an audio drive then HFS+ for Mac or NTFS for Windows... if you just want to use the drive to transfer files then you have other options (but with possible file size limits in extreme cases).

What are you trying to achieve here? Maintain archive copies? If so you want them on HDD (not SSD) and a second format like DVD-RW and/or maybe cloud storage and you want physical backups stored in multiple separate locations.

Be very clear with the whole team you are working with what you are trying to do at a high level. Do you have permission to actually keep this intermediate work product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2017, 09:08 PM

Hey Darryl

It's my first time using a MacBook pro and Pro tools 11. It's also my first time going to a different studio. So I'm a lil confused and I've also never used an external hard drive in my life. The studio owner told me I could use his external hard drive. It's a glyph studio 2TB . He said I could record onto that and then transfer the files to mine at a later date. Anyone have any recommendations on what USB flash drive to purchase ? Anything less than 60 dollars ? I think it's something that I'm just gonna have to learn how to do when I get there honestly . If everything is well connected and I open up a session and press save it should save to the glyph right ? I might have to select a few options on pro tools but it should be like that right ?

Old 10-25-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Hey Darryl

It's my first time using a MacBook pro and Pro tools 11. It's also my first time going to a different studio. So I'm a lil confused and I've also never used an external hard drive in my life. The studio owner told me I could use his external hard drive. It's a glyph studio 2TB . He said I could record onto that and then transfer the files to mine at a later date. Anyone have any recommendations on what USB flash drive to purchase ? Anything less than 60 dollars ? I think it's something that I'm just gonna have to learn how to do when I get there honestly . If everything is well connected and I open up a session and press save it should save to the glyph right ? I might have to select a few options on pro tools but it should be like that right ?

Almost any kind of 'flash drive' will work IF you're using it to transfer from studio to you place and back. I would not use it as a drive to actually work from but just as a transfer medium. I know Russ Hughes from PTE did a test some time back and could get a 40+ track session working from a memory card like a digital camera would use; it wasn't pretty but it worked.

QAPLA!