Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Default MBox Pro and FireWire/Thunderbolt adapter

And no what you were likely told by other folks to do was get a Thunderbolt expansion dock, not a hub, but with that HDD you are likely wasting your time...

OK now you are on your own. Good luck there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Default Re: MBox Pro and FireWire/Thunderbolt adapter

Hi Aaron ANV,

Thanks for your reply. You probably seen from the comments above, I think I will need to change my external drive as its a 5400rpm. I would be using the program 'Reason' through rewire as well so maybe it is best to get a better external drive? Also what's your thoughts on the USB External drive or the thunderbolt external device option? Some people think the USB wouldn't do the job? Do you use a USB Hub?

Thanks a million,

Aslam
Old 10-27-2017, 01:39 PM

Hi Aslam,

The advice you received about external hard drives is pretty accurate. You do want to make sure it's 7200rpm. You could potentially look at USB3, Thunderbolt, or FireWire 800 drives if you have the right adapters.

I personally use the AkiTio Thunder2 Dock (check it out on google). This gives you 2 Thunderbolt 2 Ports, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 2 eSATA Ports, and 1 FireWire 800 Port. My main recording drive is hooked up to the FireWire 800 port, and I use the additional Thunderbolt port for a second monitor screen. I use an additional USB hub plugged into that for my iLok, multiple MIDI keyboards, wireless mouse, etc.

Check out www.MacSales.com when looking for a drive. I've been using the "OWC on the go" drives for years.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:02 PM

The video card in my 2011 iMac recently died and I've been trying to get back to work using my girlfriend's 2015 MacBook pro. I had been using the excellent Black Lion Audio Signature Modded Digi 002R for many years. It had been having increased problems with error messages stopping in the middle of tracking with only a couple tracks and plugins open and with ample buffer, but it still worked in a compromised way. After purchasing an Apple firewire to thunderbolt adapter and using a firewire 400 to 800 cable, the MacBook wouldn't see the 002R. I then purchased an Mbox 3 Pro as a stop gap, thinking that if I used my outboard preamps and converters I wouldn't be loosing quality, but found that the MacBook wouldn't see the Mbox Pro either. I'm using the most recent Protools and drivers. There doesn't seem to be many options for non HD Avid interfaces and if I want to maintain the quality of the BLA modded 002R I'm in line to spend several thousand dollars on a Symphony or the like, plus outboard preamps. Thoughts on how to get the firewire to thunderbolt to work? Lost cause?