Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 AM

Default Rumour or Fact

http://michaelkammes.com/audio/when-...ho-digidesign/

Living the dream.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Rumour or Fact

Interesting.. who knows tho?..

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 AM

Probably rumour (again) although it will happen eventually. Back to the close future, my boss was at NAB and was told PT's 8.04 will fix A LOT of the problems still lurking - quicktime being the major one for me in post anyway. Now hopefully that is fact...
D
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM

I really can't see how dedicated processors are going away. HD could easily turn into a USB-3 box containing floating point chips but my understanding is that there are still way too many advantages to segregating DSP from an operating system. Heck, this is why we have separate graphics processors and RAM.

While native has caught up with eight year old dedicated DSP processing, it isn't like the capabilities of dedicated processing have stood still. How to move forward with dedicated processing and what features to offer is obviously going to make or break Avid's future in both audio and video. It would be pretty stupid for them to rush any new hardware to market in a time when high end studios aren't doing very well. I suspect this is a lot of why PT-8 didn't include new HD hardware. The merger with Euphonix also brings a lot of new, higher-end DSP, conversion and MADI support to the table.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
at NAB and was told PT's 8.04 will fix A LOT of the problems still lurking
I was going to make a sarcastic remark (I mean, we do hear that every time don't we?) but now I think it is best to just have blind hope.

You know what? I don't care what Avid decides to do. Honestly, Pro Tools is a tool, along with everything else in my place. Tools wear out, they get replaced. NOTHING about Pro Tools is irreplaceable. Well, actually, the DUC is irreplaceable. Once Avid sucks that down I'll be really angry.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I really can't see how dedicated processors are going away. HD could easily turn into a USB-3 box containing floating point chips but my understanding is that there are still way too many advantages to segregating DSP from an operating system. Heck, this is why we have separate graphics processors and RAM.

While native has caught up with eight year old dedicated DSP processing, it isn't like the capabilities of dedicated processing have stood still. How to move forward with dedicated processing and what features to offer is obviously going to make or break Avid's future in both audio and video. It would be pretty stupid for them to rush any new hardware to market in a time when high end studios aren't doing very well. I suspect this is a lot of why PT-8 didn't include new HD hardware. The merger with Euphonix also brings a lot of new, higher-end DSP, conversion and MADI support to the table.
I personally would be rather shocked if the DSP systems DID go away... (I can't imagine a dubstage operating on a native system, even if it were using PCI audio cards/MADI etc) - but I bet they'll do the full-blown software in parallel, to work on native systems with no other restrictions. Digi may have been a "hardware company" but Avid has slowly turned into a "software company" with the Media Composer stuff, so there's precedent.

There would still be a market for both products, as a LOT of people (myself included) have been asking for something less crippled than PTLE but not as expensive/complex as a full-blown HD rig. I've often threatened in those surveys that the only way I'll give more money to Avid is with a solution that does fall in the middle - I've outgrown LE but I can't afford or justify HD. And because of that I'm happily using Nuendo as my main DAW at the moment.

And if I ever have to spec-out a studio rig that's far more client-facing and bigger than mine is (small-scale post, usually remote) I'd probably jump at the chance to get an HD system.

IF it happens, I think it will be good for everyone... because it's only about the gear to a certain point anyway.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:22 PM

All they need to, can, and should do is:

1) Cut prices on their existing TDM PCIe cards 80%
2) Pull the audio engine off the cards and into native, leaving the TDM chips in place for DSP accelerated plugins a'la UAD, but with co-located i/o for low roundtrip times
3) Fix bugs this year

But instead they are going to do something like:

1) Pull the DSP acceleration off the cards, leaving just i/o, at a modest discount
2) Pull the audio engine into the video software, leaving the audio software languishing somewhere in Siberia (literally)
3) Fix bugs for ten years

Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I was going to make a sarcastic remark (I mean, we do hear that every time don't we?) but now I think it is best to just have blind hope.
Oh it is blind hope alright but I'm holding out for this one - I imagine my boss was told that because he was ranting for a good solid 5 min about the software issues and the fact the mojo was a piece of **** (actually the avid guy tried to distance himself from the mojo pretty quickly, decklink hear i come...), then again I doubt he wasn't the only one to be giving out to them over the course of the week...

Quote:
Digi may have been a "hardware company" but Avid has slowly turned into a "software company"
Definitely, that was the impression my boss got after talking about the mojo

Honestly if they fix the software, I'm happy and won't be upgrading my HD stuff until it breaks or is unsupported. On the upside if they do revamp HD systems they'll be loads of accel cards going cheap for parts or upgrades...
D
Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Judging by the fact that the author said this, "I see Pro Tools following suite of Media Composer: Software only has everything – hardware just adds I/O functionality. No speed increase for the extra cost of hardware." When clearly Avid still has this http://www.avid.com/US/products/Symphony-Nitris-DX as their flagship, makes me think the author is kind of talking out of his A$@ a little bit.

Also, if it were really dead, why would they have had this HUGE LE to HD upgrade from October through March? Yeah, let's upgrade everyone to a product we are about to discontinue... there's a smart move. And moreso, a move like that would probably plunge the stock price into the toilet as consumer confidence in AVID would nose dive. No, the board of directors and shareholders wouldn't let the stock price dive... so I don't think they would let something like the upgrade to HD happen if they were about to discontinue it.

So... with the LE to HD upgrade in mind, HD isn't going away... if anything, it's about to get a huge update. Why do you think they are trying to get everyone onto the PCIe Accel Core cards.

Here's an interesting little fact most people don't know about HD. The original HD Core and HD Process cards run at 100MHz. The Accel Process cards and the new Accel Core cards CAN run at 220MHz, but currently run at 100 MHz for backward compatibility with the original Core and Process cards. What do you think would happen if they bumped Accel Core and Process cards to 220MHz? Increased track count and increased plugin count. That's my guess anyway. It's an easy update, and answers a lot of people's original concerns/demands with HD. Granted there are some recent PT8 bugs that need to get fixed. But independent to that, the majority of people that buy HD in large quantities (Disney, Warner Bros, Fox, etc) want more tracks and more plugins with less cards.

Also remember, Digi/avid has always seesaw'd releases between music and post. The last update to PT was PT8, and was pretty much a music update across the board. I'm hoping the next update to PT unlocks the dormant potential of the HD cards for post users (and music users would benefit as well).

But only time will tell...

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Why run the cheap upgrade path? To shift stock, of course! Those guys who did buy into it will get a preferential cross-grade to the new, let's call it MBox HD or whatever. This will hopefully have a host card (please god the interface will be able to run on a long cable though...fibre?) in the mac, and feature something like the IO of a basic HD192 with options. The key should be, though, that it can still talk to existing Sync & IO boxes, and IF you want it, a box that will take your process cards and make the DSP available to the system.

You get a $2000 HD software upgrade from LE to HD Native.

I know, I'm dreaming :)