Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2003, 02:29 AM

Default Tape Stop effect...

Hey guys. I'm looking for a Tape Stop effect, that simulates a slowing tape reel, that can be automated. I had a VST plug, but don't want to end up having to get the wrapper for just this (not to mention the automation may not work right with the wrapper...?). Anyone know if one??
Old 10-26-2003, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Tape Stop effect...

The plugin you want is called VariFi, if i'm not mistaken.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:25 AM

I have VariFi and didnt know that you could do that????
I think you have that wrong, VariFi is just for making things sound [bleep].

SG
Old 10-26-2003, 06:30 AM

"Vari-Fi allows processing of disk files to create the effect of audio changing speed to or from a complete stop."

http://www.digidesign.com/products/d...roduct_id=1009

That was from the description of Vari-Fi on the D-Fi info page. It is an audiosuite only plugin that is included in the D-Fi package. It should do what you are looking for just fine.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:01 AM

If you have a sample player assign your portion of audio to the whole keyboard range and pitchbend. remember ! octave down = half speed

best
Old 10-26-2003, 06:08 PM

Quote:
If you have a sample player assign your portion of audio to the whole keyboard range and pitchbend. remember ! octave down = half speed
I have used the Reason NN-19 for this effect with good results. In my case, I set the root note to C5 and pitch bend range to 24 steps (Reason's max). I then triggered C3 with the pitch wheel all the way up (played at normal speed), then ramped the pitch wheel rapidly all the way down (pitch goes down 4 octaves / speed to 1/16x) and released the note just as I hit the bottom of the ramp. I set my amp envelope to instant-on instant-off.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:31 PM

wow, thats too much work for me. Its probably easier if you know reason, but I don't. And that Vari-Fi plug-in seems very expenxive. The "Tape-Stop" plug-in I have for cubase was awesome and free! Some guy made it...
Old 10-26-2003, 11:59 PM

the Vari'Fi plug doesn't really get that speed change effect for me, but it can work. I used Vari'Fi for this purpose in a video to create that "matrix, out of time" feel as a friend of mine jumped off a roof. I slowed down the frame rate using FCP 3 and then added the automation of the Vari'Fi plug to get that sound in there. It worked great to get the point across, but there are lots of things that didn't make it sound like a true slowing down process...........oh well, I guess "SPEED" will do that, but I would rather spend my 400 bucks on another mic or something.

why the hell are 1's and 0's so damn expensive lately? lol
Old 10-26-2003, 09:34 AM

Definately VariFi...or you could also do this with Serato Pitch n' Time, or even Live...
San Diego, CA
Old 10-26-2003, 09:38 AM

Vari-Fi will do this. I have used it for exactly that effect. It can imitate tape slowing down to a stop or speeding up from a stop. Very easy to use. You simply highlight the segment of a region yo want to process, designate whether you want it to speed up or slow down, and click PROCESS. To the best of my knowledge, there is no limit to the length, so you can have it slow down over the course of a full minute, or go from full speed to a dead stop in seconds.

I should point out, though, you can't really automate it. You can, however, chop the audio up into multiple regions and apply it to each one.