Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-18-2019, 05:31 AM

Default Question on drive allocation practices with modern systems. (SSD vs DAE errors)

I am about to enter the world of a new and modern laptop for remote work. My last laptop was a 2011 MBP 17" and I treated that as I have always treated my studio computers: Startup drive for software, another drive (internal optical drive bay) for sample libraries, and an external drive for writing to. I am wondering with current bus speeds on modern motherboards, plus SSD speeds is it necessary to run things on multiple drives? Is there anything to be gained or lost partitioning the MBP's drive if running of a 4TB NVMe?

Thanks for your help.

Josh
Old 08-18-2019, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Question on drive allocation practices with modern systems. (SSD vs DAE errors)

Nope!

If you have a sizeble harddrive SSD inside a MacBook Pro new ones you can record to the internal drive no doubt without partitioning anything.

I would get a 7200rpm 2-3GB or larger WD Caviar Black and keep sample libraries on as they take up a lot of space and they always works great on spinners as long as it is atleast 7200rpm 64MB Cache and min 9ms seentime like the WDC Black. No green or blue power saving crap. Make sure you fit that spinner in a USB3 or USB3.1 casing or thunderbolt case.

Let us know if need anything more. You will be able to record to that internal drive as it is CRAZY fast so no worries there.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-18-2019, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Question on drive allocation practices with modern systems. (SSD vs DAE errors)

Thanks for the input...thats super great.

Pretty sure I will opt for a 4tb version and keeping samples in it with that much space should be no problem. External drives will be for backup only.

Very happy...thanks man!!

:)))
Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Nope!

If you have a sizeble harddrive SSD inside a MacBook Pro new ones you can record to the internal drive no doubt without partitioning anything.

I would get a 7200rpm 2-3GB or larger WD Caviar Black and keep sample libraries on as they take up a lot of space and they always works great on spinners as long as it is atleast 7200rpm 64MB Cache and min 9ms seentime like the WDC Black. No green or blue power saving crap. Make sure you fit that spinner in a USB3 or USB3.1 casing or thunderbolt case.

Let us know if need anything more. You will be able to record to that internal drive as it is CRAZY fast so no worries there.
I can vouch for the durability of WD Black drives - I have a pair of 4 TB spinners in my 2012 MacPro - one for samples and one for sessions. Be aware of so-called 'enterprise' drives. When I was researching drives I ran into some that would sleep at some interval known only to the drive.

Also there's no need to partition the system drive for recording to or having samples on. Just create extra folders.

Something not mentioned is to have an external drive with a clone backup of your functioning system. It will save your hide for when things turn to the Dark Side. I have separate external drives - one for the system, one for samples and one for sessions. 7200 rpm spinners all.

QAPLA!
Old 08-18-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Be aware of so-called 'enterprise' drives. When I was researching drives I ran into some that would sleep at some interval known only to the drive.
All spinning hard drives since somewhere in the early 2000s (2005?) have been regulated by EU and US regulation to have to sleep (it is firmware coded and non-defeatable). All spinning hard drive manufacturers have to adhere to this.

Accessing the drive in regular intervals keeps those drives running/awake (there are utilities to do this.)
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 08-18-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
All spinning hard drives since somewhere in the early 2000s (2005?) have been regulated by EU and US regulation to have to sleep (it is firmware coded and non-defeatable). All spinning hard drive manufacturers have to adhere to this.

Accessing the drive in regular intervals keeps those drives running/awake (there are utilities to do this.)
I have a bunch of spinners that don't sleep. The externals I use for backups don't sleep nor do the WD blacks I have sleep. If the drives sleep then why does Apple have a setting in OSX preferences to not let drives sleep?

edit for additional:
There's no utility needed to keep a hard drive from sleeping. This first link is for Windows:
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/disa...ive-49293.html
Says for Seagate drives but it should work for all drives on a Windows system
And this link is for Macs:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/harddrivesleep.html

Note that drives may have to have the ability to sleep but are not required to do so. I could find nothing via Google that says a drive MUST sleep.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-18-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: additional supporting info for my assertion