Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 07:19 AM

Default M-audio Project mix/io vs Digi Design Command 8

M-Audio Project Mix/IO
Specs

*record audio directly into Pro Tools M-Powered (not included) > industry-standard format
*use with Pro Tools M-Powered, Live, Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer and SONAR > total *compatibility
*10-bit touch-sensitive motorized faders > totally intuitive mixing and editing
*built-in 18 x 14 FireWire audio interface > no additional hardware required
*8 phantom-powered mic/line preamps > pro input right on board
*assignable rotary encoders > control mixes, effects and synths
*LCD display > full track and parameter readout
*dedicated transport controls and jog/scrub wheel > seamless session flow
*ADAT Lightpipe, S/PDIF and word clock I/O > total digital connectivity
*Tactile control of your mix with FireWire convenience
*Analog and digital I/O with eight mic preamps
*MIDI I/O plus multiple monitoring options
*Illuminated transport controls
*Very easy to use, with logical layout
*10-bit touch-sensitive moving faders for precision
*Bank-switchable channel strips

Front
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/clos...ectMixIO--Main
M-Audio Project Mix/IO
Back
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/clos...--img_rear.jpg

Digi Design Command 8
Specs

*Cost effective Pro Tools controller!
*Convenient USB computer connection
*MIDI control built in
*Quality Focusrite onboard monitoring system
*8 touch-sensitive, motorized faders, and 8 automatable rotary encoders with LED rings; channels bankable in groups of eight
*Big, bright, 110-character (55 characters x 2 rows) backlit LCD display for easily viewing track and parameter information
*Integrated 1-IN/2-OUT MIDI interface (16 channels in, 32 out)
*Standalone MIDI controller mode - Easy to map controls to software or devices
*Flexible Focusrite onboard monitoring section
*Works natively with the Avid family of products' Automation Gain Tool
*Simple USB connection to your PC or Mac
*Supports both Pro Tools TDM and LE systems (independently)
*Compact size - Perfect for space-challenged professional and project studios
*May be used in conjunction with ProControl, Control|24, or Digi 002

Front
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/clos...-img_angle.jpg
Digi Design Command 8
Back
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/clos...--img_rear.jpg

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Now my reason for this thread is because I'm in the market to buy a control surface for my Pro Tools Le setup. Originally I was going to buy the Command 8, but I just came across this control surface from M-Audio.

The M-Audio has built in pre-amps & seems to at least spec wise be better than the Command 8.
If any user can comment feel free, I think we just found a better control surface people

, peace
Old 02-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: M-audio Project mix/io vs Digi Design Command 8

The Project Mix won't work with your LE software........you'll need to shell out a few hundred more clams for M-Powered.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Will this control surface work with a Pro Tools TDM system?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:25 PM

you also need an audio interface to use with Pro-tools LE. An M-box or digi rack. so either way ur shelling out a couple more hundred clams
Old 03-16-2007, 04:27 PM

I've owned the Command|8 and now use a PMix I/O. I also switched to Logic, so it's been a while since I used ProTools.

Fact is, the PMix will work as a control surface for any version of ProTools. But the audio interface part will only work with PTMP. Now, that doesn't mean that you can't use it's preamps. You should be able to route the preamps to the ADAT out, and into whatever I/O you are using.

It sounds like you already have an LE system. Getting the PMix, you'd either have to get another I/O, use MPowered, or keep the I/O you have.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Hey, I've owned both the Command | 8 and now have changed over to the ProjectMix I/O from M-Audio. Here is what my experience has found.

The pre's on the ProejctMix are crap. Instead of using a hybrid input of XLR and line level, the wasted the space on the back putting a 1/4" input and an XLR input to get the signal into the channel. Also, the pre's come with a freakin' PAD button! Most pre's that don't have a pad button, at least start the pre gain at something like -10 or -20, but not the ProjectMix, you start at unity gain. Good luck close-micing a hard hitting drummer with these... overloads all over the place. I've been there, and when your tom mics are three feet back off your toms, good luck getting a nice tom sound. The whole point is here, mic pre's with a neagtive gain level, or a pad button are just cheap, thoughtless items to add.

A couple more grips with the ProjectMix... say good-bye to your monitoring section. Sure you get monitor inputs and outputs, but the control section is missing! There is no "mute" or "dim" button on the surface anywhere, and ALL the knobs on the surface are the kind that just keep turning, instead of fixed knobs like the Command 8. Good luck marking off 85 dB on this control surface, you can't! All the muting has to be done on this FireWire interface on your computer screen... a real pain in the ass.

Also, you only get I believe 2 or four outputs in the back, and with teh Digi 002/3 you get eight. Much nicer if you're having to hook up headphone mixes and whatnot... just not a lot of options here.

Moving onto other annoying things. When you move the main faders, the display does not change automatically to show you your volume levels. You actually have to hold down another button on the surface to see the numbers change. Major annoyance. The Pan levels do show by default on the display right underneath the track name. Also there is no signal LED's... again, if you want to see that, you have to hold down another function button, and then you'll see the input level going horizontal, from left to right... pretty useless. Even though the Digi's/command 8 LED's are not the most wonderful things in the world, at least they are on the control surface and do provide decient feedback.

Now the GOOD things about ProjectMix. The faders are wonderful, beat the hell out of the Command|8. Very nice touch. Also, the transport controls are BACKLIT. Which is great, b/c flashing RED record button is much easier to see on a control surface, whereas all of digi's sutff are just unlit buttons, and provide no realtime feedback like a good transport control should. That is a nice touch.

Also, I know my old Command 8 had serious noise problems with it's monitoring section, so much so, that I had to eventually just stop using them. The ProjectMix's monitor section is solid and noiseless

Overall, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't have bought the M-Audio. Sure, it's cheaper, for the amount of money you drop on a command 8 you get a control surface AND a firewire interface... But now I'm thinking of selling it... buying a Digi 003 RACK (I have a rack system at home) and just fronting the Digi003 with an 8 channel pre like somethin Presonus would make... and then running that as ADAT LightPip in and out.... that way, I get the 8 full channels in on the presonus, and still have the four focusrite ins on the Digi. Then I would front that with a Command 8.

That way, when I go mobile, I'm not lugging this extra control surface that's tied to my firewire interface! I can just pack up my rack, and my lappy, and get going... and have the option of brining the command 8 if space allows...

just my two cents.

Mike
M-Audio ProjectMix I/O
LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Drive