Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Pace Register Error 3 PT 8

FWIW I ran into the same thing with a Dell 690 with Xenon dual core. I suspect it came from repeated PACE driver installation during a clean install of everything so there may be more than one issue. I did a second clean system install and the problem came right back.

I finally found a system restore point that worked and avoided installing the PACE driver again until yesterday when I had no choice. Everything seems fine now. Could be one faulty installer but it would probably take a week to figure out which one.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Default Digi's AMD incompatibilties

Any progress on this Digi?
Yes and, unfortunately, it's not good news. We've discovered a flaw in certain older AMD processors where they do not execute SSE instructions, even though they claim to. This is not something we'll be able to fix so the only remedy will be on the hardware end - upgrading to a newer processor that supports SSE properly.

We've amended our compatibility information to reflect this info:

OK, so what about all of us that bought PT LE 8.0 in good faith before you included this is your compatibility reference guide? I was not upgrading. I bought PT simply because somebody that I was working with insisted that I had it - industry standard and all that. (To be honest, I was quite happy with Sonar and Cubase.) Why don't you provide a downgrade v7.4 downloadable from your website for schmucks like me who are $300 out of pocket?

Looking at the number of posters that this has upset, I think it would be good PR if you could at least help.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Digi's AMD incompatibilties

Quote:
OK, so what about all of us that bought PT LE 8.0 in good faith before you included this is your compatibility reference guide? I was not upgrading. I bought PT simply because somebody that I was working with insisted that I had it - industry standard and all that. (To be honest, I was quite happy with Sonar and Cubase.) Why don't you provide a downgrade v7.4 downloadable from your website for schmucks like me who are $300 out of pocket?

Looking at the number of posters that this has upset, I think it would be good PR if you could at least help.
Agreed. I bought the upgrade in good faith and now you tell me I can't use it because I have an AMD processor that worked FINE with PT 7.4 but doesn't work with 8? Sorry, but you need to do something about this. I'll gladly jump through whatever hoops you deem necessary to get a refund.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
Agreed. I bought the upgrade in good faith and now you tell me I can't use it because I have an AMD processor that worked FINE with PT 7.4 but doesn't work with 8? Sorry, but you need to do something about this. I'll gladly jump through whatever hoops you deem necessary to get a refund.

Cheers,
--
Don
If you are on a machine affected by the lack of SSE instructions, please contact us using the Tech Support Request Form with information about your computer specs, your registered name and address and where and when you purchased Pro Tools 8.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If you are on a machine affected by the lack of SSE instructions, please contact us using the Tech Support Request Form with information about your computer specs, your registered name and address and where and when you purchased Pro Tools 8.
Before we go through this, I just want to verify the problem I'm having is due to this SSE instruction issue with AMD processors, because in another thread it appeared it might by due to spreading the workspace across two monitors. Here is my problem:

When I try to open EZdrummer, it takes forever to load and a check of the CPU usage shows 100%. Does this appear to be the SSE issue? If so, I'll fill out the form you mentioned and send it.

BTW, I'd MUCH rather be able to use PT 8 than get a refund. If I had the spare cash right now, I'd build a new machine that could accommodate it.

Thanks,
--
Don
Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Go to Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings

Under the Performance section, click on Settings, then go to the Data Execution Prevention tab and make sure the radio button is set to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only."

The couple of times I've encountered this error, the DEP setting was set to "Turn on DEP for all programs except the ones I select."

By default it should be set to the essential services setting, but I think some applications flip it.

See if that works.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
Before we go through this, I just want to verify the problem I'm having is due to this SSE instruction issue with AMD processors, because in another thread it appeared it might by due to spreading the workspace across two monitors. Here is my problem:

When I try to open EZdrummer, it takes forever to load and a check of the CPU usage shows 100%. Does this appear to be the SSE issue? If so, I'll fill out the form you mentioned and send it.

BTW, I'd MUCH rather be able to use PT 8 than get a refund. If I had the spare cash right now, I'd build a new machine that could accommodate it.

Thanks,
--
Don
If you can get Pro Tools to launch and run, you do not have the SSE issue.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM

Has this problem been solved yet? Any news?
I cannot launch PT8 and I get the same error after installing.
I think I've uninstall and install several times, updated the drivers ilok and still nothing..
I had PT8 it in my drawer and hardware in the box since April.

Now I decided two move on after I purchased a new SATA drive and this is what I'm getting?

This really sucks DIGI...

Please tell me how can I dowload PT7 as my CD ROM is not reading the disk I have.
Will Rack 3 work with PT7?
Will PT7 work with my AMD Athlon processor?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Yes and, unfortunately, it's not good news. We've discovered a flaw in certain older AMD processors where they do not execute SSE instructions, even though they claim to. This is not something we'll be able to fix so the only remedy will be on the hardware end - upgrading to a newer processor that supports SSE properly.

We've amended our compatibility information to reflect this info:

Pro Tools 8 uses certain SSE instructions for drawing and other performance critical code. We have found that some older models of AMD chips from the Athlon 64 X2 (Athlon X2, AMD K9) family do not support specific SSE instructions used by Pro Tools, even though they claim to be SSE compliant. On these AMD computers, Pro Tools 8 will not launch. Unfortunately, this issue is not something we think can be fixed on our end, given the amount of custom recoding and testing that would be required. Current AMD chips and those manufactured in the last few years do support these SSE instructions.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...36858&langid=1

I've just bought M Box mini with ProTools 8 LE and I've done ALL of the tests and optimization and still can't launch the program due to Pace Register Error 3 PT 8/Can't intilize properly. On the product package it says nothing about not working med AMD...which sucks. So now I bought it and have to reclaim it? Is there anything more to do? I have a AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2200+ I guess they have the same problem?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukker View Post
I've just bought M Box mini with ProTools 8 LE and I've done ALL of the tests and optimization and still can't launch the program due to Pace Register Error 3 PT 8/Can't intilize properly. On the product package it says nothing about not working med AMD...which sucks. So now I bought it and have to reclaim it? Is there anything more to do? I have a AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2200+ I guess they have the same problem?
If you getting the message you have the faulty SSE issue. Blame AMD for producing less than compliant processors not Digi or Avid.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything but that processor and mobo is what 8+ years old now? Its replacement the Athlon 64 came out back in 2003. Almost any second hand PC is going to offer you drastically improved performance. Upgrading is not a bad thing. Keep your old faithful Athlon XP for a internet machine.

Also FWIW I had a Athlon XP machine here last summer that I refurbished for a buddy that had no computer and its not just PT with this issue. There were a couple of other programs that refused to install. As I recall it was Media Player Classic and possibly Flash.

Also if you get a hold of Avid CSA in the meantime and explain the problem they should send you 7.4 download links which should run on your current rig.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88