Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2019, 04:10 PM

Default Session crashed. Corrupt audio files

My session crashed in the middle of a take.
I tried importing the audio files, but they seem to be corrupt.
Can’t play them in finder or iTunes either.
Any software that can “close off” the files properly? The files are large so there definitely is data in them. I just think the files weren’t “closed” the proper way because of the crash.

Any hints on how to do this?
I’m on MacOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2019, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Session crashed. Corrupt audio files

Hi.
I've used Audacity to rescue audio files with good results.
It has a feature called "Import raw data" or similar, which seems to read data from any file, you just need to tell it the sample rate etc, to get results.
And it's free:
https://www.audacityteam.org/
Old 12-30-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Hi.
I've used Audacity to rescue audio files with good results.
It has a feature called "Import raw data" or similar, which seems to read data from any file, you just need to tell it the sample rate etc, to get results.
And it's free:
https://www.audacityteam.org/
That ^^^ sounds promising. Another thing to try is to create a blank session at a different sample rate(if the original is 48K, make the new session 44.1K or vice versa). Then using Import Session Data, apply SRC(sample rate conversion). The theory being that the conversion re-writes the audio files which MIGHT iron out the corruption(I know its a stretch, but it has worked for me at least 1 time).

The other thing to try is to create a blank session and import only a few tracks at a time. This might narrow things down to only SOME of the data being corrupted.

Last 2 cents(general advice) on this subject. Having just gotten my ASSets kicked by a freakish data loss, having proper backup is worth way more than you can imagine. Back everything up to at least 3 places(and try to keep one of those off-site or at least not in the same room). suggestion #2: get a decent battery backup to power the computer and important peripherals(not speakers or keyboards) so that a power glitch or failure doesn't trash your audio files. I know this might not help the19thbear, but it will help somebody

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

Last 2 cents(general advice) on this subject. Having just gotten my ASSets kicked by a freakish data loss, having proper backup is worth way more than you can imagine. Back everything up to at least 3 places(and try to keep one of those off-site or at least not in the same room). suggestion #2: get a decent battery backup to power the computer and important peripherals(not speakers or keyboards) so that a power glitch or failure doesn't trash your audio files. I know this might not help the19thbear, but it will help somebody
I don't think you'll find a greater exponent of an ups than myself. Get one with a good power conditioner - don't rely on any so-called protection in a power strip. I now have at least one ups here that my system runs on that completely regenerates the incoming AC power to a clean sine wave. Not all ups's generate a sine wave but a stair-stepped approximation.

I once had a $300 ups sacrifice itself to protect $3k+ in connected electronics. I'd say that's money well spent. I'm quite partial to APC ups's. Even at home I have all my electronics on ups's. It's funny that when the power drops out they all start beeping and NOT at the same time

QAPLA!
Old 12-30-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

I once had a $300 ups sacrifice itself to protect $3k+ in connected electronics. I'd say that's money well spent. I'm quite partial to APC ups's. Even at home I have all my electronics on ups's. It's funny that when the power drops out they all start beeping and NOT at the same time
Thanks for this as I forgot some more info I wanted to offer. I highly recommend APC and also will warn against Cyberpower as their product failed in the worst way(for no apparent reason). I just replaced my last Cyberpower product with another APC

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-30-2019, 01:10 PM

You might not be aware of it, but here in Scandinavia we're spoiled with very robust and stable power supply, so, drifting somewhat off topic, guys. Also, the issue of OP had nothing to do with being backed up. (I know you're aware of that, Dave.)

Tell us know how it turns out, 19bear.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 12-30-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:36 PM

Will try the sample rate conversion thing and then audacity.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year from Denmark :)

Old 12-31-2019, 01:56 PM

Worked with the 44.1khz audio import.
Thanks a lot:)