How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-10-2017, 04:46 AM

Default Which plugin for vocals?

Hello,

I want to record my voice for a song. The way of my voice:

Voice --> Kondensator Mic --> ur22mk (48V) --> Pro Tools 12.8.

Can you give advice, which plug-in is preferred, so that the sound of my voice sounds like professional.

I know, that the most important thing is "Professional voice". But that's not the point I am asking. I only want to know: If the voice was perfect, what do I neen on PT12.8 to make a good sound?
Asio4All
M-Audio Oxygen 49 mk4
TLM 102
Gibson Classic Rock Marble
AKG K 271 MKII
Old 12-10-2017, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Which plugin for vocals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmeise View Post
Hello,

I want to record my voice for a song. The way of my voice:

Voice --> Kondensator Mic --> ur22mk (48V) --> Pro Tools 12.8.

Can you give advice, which plug-in is preferred, so that the sound of my voice sounds like professional.

I know, that the most important thing is "Professional voice". But that's not the point I am asking. I only want to know: If the voice was perfect, what do I neen on PT12.8 to make a good sound?
Once you have the input chain nailed down and recorded in a good acoustic environment then you may only need a bit of compression to even things out a bit. Also eq could help a thin or bass heavy voice a bit. Just don't expect to work miracles on a creaky voice.

Good vocal technique helps, like a consistent distance from the mic and consistent voice level. Swaying back and forth in front of a mic can drastically change the sound of the voice, especially if you're both playing an instrument like guitar and singing at the same time. Sometimes you see performers swaying back & forth as they perform.

Good acoustical environment - you'll want some kind of isolation of the mic from your surroundings. A vocal booth would be the ultimate but a portable 'booth' on a mic stand is cheaper. sE makes a couple of these called Reflexion filters - look them up. Do understand that anything else going on when recording voice will also get recorded unless precautions are taken. Things like vehicles outside, any fans, people talking, etc. Mics can be pretty sensitive especially when the input gain on the preamp/interface is turned up.

QAPLA!
Old 12-10-2017, 04:31 PM

There are many all-in-one options out there. Perfectly fine plugins providing EQ, compression, reverb, delay and more. Like with Waves:
Plugins for Vocals | Waves

Personally, I haven't tried all these, but I can at least say that the CLA Vocal plugin is perfectly fine, and can be recommended.

Added:
Of course, no plugin will instantly make a recording "sound professional". You will have to know how to use it, which for most of us is a never-ending process.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
There are many all-in-one options out there. Perfectly fine plugins providing EQ, compression, reverb, delay and more. Like with Waves:
Plugins for Vocals | Waves

Personally, I haven't tried all these, but I can at least say that the CLA Vocal plugin is perfectly fine, and can be recommended.

Added:
Of course, no plugin will instantly make a recording "sound professional". You will have to know how to use it, which for most of us is a never-ending process.
One also has to keep in mind what genre that is being worked on/in. Some need a good bit of saturation and others need absolute cleanliness. Personally I'm not a fan of overly saturated vocals.

QAPLA!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 PM

It's too bad you didn't ask this a couple weeks ago. There were tons of plugins on sale, including my all time favorite: The Metric Halo Channel Strip, which was on sale for just $29.

I'm a huge fan of the all-in-one channel strip type plugins. You need an EQ, compressor, limiter, delay for pretty much every vocal or instrument. No sense in tying up a full insert slot for each one of those when you can have them all in one plugin. And the Metric Halo Channel Strip is my favorite.

After a good channel strip, you need a good reverb, and then whatever other effects you want to use to mangle your vocals.

But, all of these tools are included by default in the stock Protools plugins, and the Avid Channel Strip is not that bad either.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-11-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
CLA Vocal plugin is perfectly fine, and can be recommended.
+1.

Imo delay, reverb and compression/tuning (if needed) helps.

It also helps if the chain is good.
U87ai->BAE 1073->CL1B->Avid Omni works for me.
Fast attack and release on the CL1B and you hear the details in the vocals well.

I usually bus the vocals to a aux channel with H-Delay and Ubermod and sometimes one of the Valhalla reverbs for depth.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:04 AM

This is well worth trying for quick results.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/greg-wells-voicecentric

I use it all the time. Reverb and delay are fixed on one sound so if those don't fit I turn them off and add another plugin or two.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-11-2017, 02:28 PM

I usually use iZotope Nectar 2 or Neutron 2. If it needs cleaning then iZotope vocal de-noise goes in first.

But anything can work. You could use the Channel Strip plugin included with Pro Tools to get the brunt of the work done and then add whatever else you need (reverb, delay, etc...)

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-11-2017, 03:08 PM

I like the Waves JJP Vocals plugin as well as the CLA. I also sometimes find using Waves SSL channel works well with a good mic/recording
Old 12-12-2017, 09:49 PM

Ok, as musicman 691 told, I tried it with these 3 things:
constistent distance to the mic - EQ - Compression ... and it worked.

Cause so many of you told about waves-Plug-Ins I think, I will buy one: The CLA Vocal Plug-In. But is waves such a good Plug-In-Developer? I'm a newbe about Plug-Ins.

Things like CL1B at this time aren't in my money-cosmos, perhaps if the songs will be successful in a few years (with a big villa, a big car and a great recording-studio ), but we will see

Do I need one waves-Plug-In (for example CLA Vocal) or can I do the same with six different Standard-Pro-Tools-Plugins?
Asio4All
M-Audio Oxygen 49 mk4
TLM 102
Gibson Classic Rock Marble
AKG K 271 MKII