Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Pro Tools HD Upgrade

Hello, I currently have a pro tools hd 9 system running on a 2008 mac pro 10.7 with the pro tools 96 io rack. I would like to upgrade to the current hd system, I'm assuming that's the HDX? What is the difference between HDX and HD Native? I have discovered that the new HDX PCIe card is only compatible with Westmere/Nahelem mac pros. Am I better off buying a preowned Westmere/Nahelem 2012ish mac pro with a faster processor and newer, but still old hardware in it just so the HDX card can work with it, or do I buy a whole new mac pro and an hd system? Has anyone ever heard of a pro tools HD system working with the current design mac pros? What extra hardware do I need to use with the mac pro trash cans? Do I need to have a sync io as well if I buy the HD io? Theoretically speaking, in a perfect world, wouldn't all I need is the new HD io, maybe a sync hd io, HDX card and new ilok? Hope that all makes sense? This is what I mean when I say I have no idea what hardware I need for what setup with what computer and what computer hardware. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD Upgrade

Unless you are locking to external video or using a multitrack tape machine, then you don't need the sync.
An HDX card alone would get you started - the 96i/o does work with it.
that said, if you can afford the HDi/o then get it as it sounds a LOT better than the 96i/o.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:26 AM

More random thoughts:
1-HD/Native on a modern quad or 6-core computer works extremely well(HDX is fine if you NEED HDX, but you probably don't)
2-current and near-future builds of PT 12(like 12.9 and forward) may not work on older Macs(5,1 and up should be fine)
3-+1 on updating the IO(96 IO is on par with the old 003, but HD IO and the 192 is a solid step up)
4-Investigate getting a "hackintosh" if you prefer OSX over Windows as you can get a seriously potent machine for half the cost of a comparable Mac Pro.
5-the current trashcan Mac Pro forces you to use thunderbolt and external drives and such(not saying this is good or bad, just be aware) and isn't there a "new" Mac Pro coming soon?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Default Pro Tools HD Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
More random thoughts:

1-HD/Native on a modern quad or 6-core computer works extremely well(HDX is fine if you NEED HDX, but you probably don't)

2-current and near-future builds of PT 12(like 12.9 and forward) may not work on older Macs(5,1 and up should be fine)

3-+1 on updating the IO(96 IO is on par with the old 003, but HD IO and the 192 is a solid step up)

4-Investigate getting a "hackintosh"

5-....and isn't there a "new" Mac Pro coming soon?

I agree with Dave on most of this,

Unless your brave and capable steer clear of the hackintosh- it’s doable but since 10.12 it is sooo much more difficult, possible yes but difficult.

HDio’s are fabulous

2012 MP would kill for several more years. A great machine.
Of course with a new windows machine that would put you using tech from this decade. (No sarcasm implied).

There is rumors that a new modular Mac Pro is coming yes...when?? Who knows.

HDX, Man I still want one b/c my latency specs are not TDM ish.....better that FW yes...but not in the TDM range.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Exactly, if you care about the latency that is produced when you put plugins on the master buss then you need HDX. Couldn't live without a DSP based system here but that is just me. There is simply no way that I could "mix as I go" on a Native system. I've tried it and it is a no go. I still use a TDM system at my studio even though I have an HDX system. It's more about the fact that a lot of plugin companies have decided not to produce DSP plugins and there are certain ones that I have become attached to. The OP should take all of this into consideration and decide for himself what is needed and what isn't.