Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 AM

Default Re: AAE 9173 Pro Tools ran out of CPU power

Take all third party plugins out of the AAX folder. Does the problem go away? Throw some standard plugin into a session and see if you can at least load up somethign that looks like it is running a reasonable load. Put the third party plugins back in batches. If things get unstable then narrow down if there is a plugin causing that (it does not even need to be instantiated/used). If so then check in on that vendors support forum/contact support - see if they know about it/have a workaround/are working on a fix/etc.

Before and sometime during doing this be sure to check also trash prefs and databases and check with a new empty session to exclude session corruption as an issue.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Take all third party plugins out of the AAX folder. Does the problem go away? Throw some standard plugin into a session and see if you can at least load up somethign that looks like it is running a reasonable load. Put the third party plugins back in batches. If things get unstable then narrow down if there is a plugin causing that (it does not even need to be instantiated/used). If so then check in on that vendors support forum/contact support - see if they know about it/have a workaround/are working on a fix/etc.

Before and sometime during doing this be sure to check also trash prefs and databases and check with a new empty session to exclude session corruption as an issue.
Allow me to add these thoughts:
Make sure PT is closed when adding or removing plugins from the folder(s). When you add them back in do it one developer at a time. Avid first, then if you have say NI, Izotope, Arturia add back the NI and if no problems add back the Izotope, repeat. If when you add a developer and if you have more than one of their plugins, remove half and retry and repeat as necessary until you find the faulty one.

QAPLA!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:29 AM

There would appear to be an undocumented change to pro Tools 11.2 processing as sessions in 11.1.3 would not throw out 9173s whereas the same session and plugins on 11.2 would.

I'm seeing this when attempting to Bounce to Disk. While the session shows 8-10% CPU, no spikes, HDX card used to about 60% capacity. The 9173 errors in bouncing never occurred in any version of PT 11.

While it's safe to say a plugin is causing this, it's only since the change to 11.2 that this error showed up. Clearly there is more going on under the PT 11.2 hood that have created a plugin issue.

i suspect 11.2.1 will resolve this.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 07-08-2014, 06:34 AM

I am having this problem also.

Pro Tools is constantly crashing with only a instance of Play with a piano loaded and BFD3 in a session. I can't work more then 10 seconds before it crashes, both with 11.2 and 11.3, updated plugins to latest version, tried removing them, reinstalling them. No difference.

At this point I have lost 2 weeks of work, I'm thinking I should start sending Avid invoices seen as I, the end user has to put more time and effort into making their software work then they appear to do.

I believe I have every right to blame avid, TBH I find it disgusting that a company that is dedicated to making software for professionals is so lenient when it comes to quality control. The least I expect from software of this price is stability. Coming on here to find solutions to problems and getting told that it is my fault, my problem, my computer etc just does not cut it. If it is my job to make the software work with any amount of stability then why the hell am I paying them, they should be paying me.

Avid, a typical corporation more bothered about their pockets than providing a good product, it's absolutely disgusting and I can't believe that people stand up in their defence.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:48 AM

Default AAE 9173 Pro Tools ran out of CPU power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
There would appear to be an undocumented change to pro Tools 11.2 processing as sessions in 11.1.3 would not throw out 9173s whereas the same session and plugins on 11.2 would.

I'm seeing this when attempting to Bounce to Disk. While the session shows 8-10% CPU, no spikes, HDX card used to about 60% capacity. The 9173 errors in bouncing never occurred in any version of PT 11.

While it's safe to say a plugin is causing this, it's only since the change to 11.2 that this error showed up. Clearly there is more going on under the PT 11.2 hood that have created a plugin issue.

i suspect 11.2.1 will resolve this.
Uh oh, well throwing HDX into this is complicating things. But you have no way of knowing what will resolve this, just because plugins appear to break in a new release does not mean the release is faulty or will necessarily get fixed. Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes it is plugin vendors doing things they never should have done and were just lucky and used to work at all. Sometimes a change to introduce something new and important, or fix a bug introduces changes that breaks those plugins. Again, If you need to be on 11.2 I would try to work out what plugin is causing problems and contact that vendors support. That also is a good way of getting the plugin vendor to hurry along Avid in case they do need to fix a bug.

And looking at CPU meters (that do relatively long term averaging) is often not that useful for insight on these class of CPU related errors, the glitches/spikes that cause 9173 errors can happen over very short timeframes, far too short to see on a meter.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 PM

Try switching your playback engine from HDX to built-in line out. Does it still happen? What is your buffer set to?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 AM

This thread brings up many questions for me that in my opinion have been coming and going well before 11.2.

" What is your buffer set to?" (HDX users)
(256 and under)

This is a HDX issue I hope gets resolved via firmware and not a new HDXv2

Pro Tools startup AAE plug-in-validation should catch this. (?)

Dynamic CPU enabled?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 AM

I've been at this a long time and have virtually no problems with most PT releases. There was a release a while back, 11.0 I think that would shout out 9173s on playback, even at 1024 buffer, but that was resolved in the next update.

The 11.2 issues are the same. 1024 buffer, only 9173s on BTD. Otherwise it's working well0especially after the Eucon 3.1.3 update.

This is a PT issue that I suspect will be resolved soon with 11.2.1

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 07-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Have you tried real-time (uncheck offline) bounce as a possible work around?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 AM

all my bounces are Real-Time as I go through several outboard processors