Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 AM

Default 003 Rack - Alt Mon Output to Headphone Amp?

I have an ALTO 6-channel headphone amp. I've tried running out of Phones 1 and 2 on the front INTO this, which works, but I pick up a slight buzz through the headphone amp jacks when I do this (it's not in the recording).

Could I just jack the two Alt (CR) Monitor Outputs into my headphone amp - would this be a cleaner route - and then switch back and forth when we track (with headphones on)? Thoughts?

I just mix little home projects, so my passive Tannoy Reveals (through an ADCOM GR-535 amplifer) use the main monitor output and I'm happy with that.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Avid

Default Re: 003 Rack - Alt Mon Output to Headphone Amp?

From what I can see the inputs on the ALTO are all line level - if you're using a headphone output to go into it that would explain the buzz.

If you use the Monitor outs of the 003R you will need an insert cable - from what I can tell from the manual for the Alto, the Aux and Direct inputs are stereo TRS line level (the Main seems to be mono 1/4" unbalanced).

The TRS end would connect to an Aux or Direct input, while the other end would connect to the L/R outputs of the 003.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Actually - I think the main inputs (on the back of the ALTO) are mono (balanced TRS though), left and right. I found a picture from the manual.

So - I guess I just need a pair of TRS cables from the ALT MON (left and right) on the 003 into the MAIN INPUTs (left and right) on the back of the ALTO. Bottom of numerated Page 5 of the manual.

pdf of ALTO HPA6
Old 10-17-2011, 11:59 AM

According to the Alto manual (available here http://www.directproaudio.com/images...hpa6manual.pdf), you have both XLR and 1/4" TRS balanced inputs.

Why not just feed them from the Analog 1 and 2 outputs on the 003? Using this method you would have the same "mix" as you are getting through your monitors, but it won't be affected by your monitor level control.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Okay - I like that idea. Leaving the ALT MON output for some future use.

Why - it's so simple and crazy, it just might work! And ... I feel like an idiot. Sometimes the routing possibilities just overwhelm me.