Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 AM

Default Problem with iLok ZDT: extend temporary license?

Hello everyone,

Last Monday, my iLok is dead.
No problem, I have a ZDT subscription and a spare iLok (No TLC).
I received a 14-day temporary license and immediately sent my defective iLok to PACE.
My parcel was sent via the Belgian official post office with a traking system as requested by iLok.

The problem is that 7 days later, the package still has not left Europe!
I'm getting really scared that iLok will not receive it on time.
I'm a professional user and I can not do without my studio someday. (That's why I have a ZDT subscription).

Do you know what to do in this type of case?
Thank you very much for your help.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Problem with iLok ZDT: extend temporary license?

I would reach out to iLok support and explain your concerns. I don't see why they wouldn't extend things, given what you're going thru

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-13-2017, 10:26 PM

I just got an answer from iLok.
(They seem to be really professional.)
No problem. Apparently that's what they will do ;-)
Old 12-01-2017, 10:14 AM

Hate to scare you but I have had horrible experience with ZDT. I was down for five days once in circumstances similar to yours. Since then I've kept a back up DAW to use in emergency, and I don't pay for ZDT anymore. It's a pain but you can stay in business.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM

Just curious ...

Why wouldn't you turn TLC on? I know it's too late for this occasion, but why not for the future?

Just turn on TLC and keep a spare empty iLok handy in future, then you never have to worry ever again about posting a dead iLok from Belgium to the USA.

That seems like good value for money for the annual cost of ZDT. You don't need a backup DAW and backup plugins, you'll be up and running again within minutes, whether your iLok is broken, lost or stolen, it doesn't matter.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:45 AM

Hello,
Finally, my broken iLok arrived time.
So no problem
Anymay, they were OK to extend my temporary licenses.

@nigelpry: I have been using ZDT for a very long time. At the time, TLC did not exist. And he was not activated by default ... which I did not know.
It is now activated on my new iLok
Old 12-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Just curious ...

Why wouldn't you turn TLC on? I know it's too late for this occasion, but why not for the future?

Just turn on TLC and keep a spare empty iLok handy in future, then you never have to worry ever again about posting a dead iLok from Belgium to the USA.

That seems like good value for money for the annual cost of ZDT. You don't need a backup DAW and backup plugins, you'll be up and running again within minutes, whether your iLok is broken, lost or stolen, it doesn't matter.
Nigel and many others here likely know this, but the one reason not to use TLC is you need to be able to keep your iLoks visible to the internet though ILM for the licenses to stay up to date. At least once every 90 days, so not too bad, but in some studio situations that may be something to think about. And if you are super paranoid and you don't trust iLok with their past missteps of remote yanking licenses off people you might keep at least some iLoks permanently offline.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM

Yes, I guess I can see that some people might be sufficiently paranoid about the periodic refresh that they might prefer never to have to do it.

Of course that might be especially true for people who have acquired licenses slightly below the radar ... I remember a few years back there were people saying that licenses were removed from their iLoks during refresh. But didn't it turn out that they were mostly people that had got the relevant licenses in 'funny' circumstances, where someone had sold them a license via iLok transfer and they were licenses that either shouldn't have been allowed to be passed on this way, or were part of a bundle that wasn't supposed to be split? Not that it was the buyer's fault, but they rnded up losing licenses. Did that situation ever get resolved, or did those people lose what they thought they had bought legitimately. I don't think it was Pace's finest hour, seeing as they'd presided over the fiasco.

I always figured that for me, the potential for an iLok to either break, get lost or be stolen was the greater risk, and I guess that's probably true for the majority of iLok owners.

So, on balance, I've always thought that TLC should be activated by default when you subscribe to ZDT, with a warning pointing out that the paranoid can switch it off if they prefer ... rather than the other way around. It certainly would have saved cozy_man a lot of stress! I'm pretty sure the majority, and espcially those located outside the USA, where you have to send a broken iLok to, would prefer it switched on by default.

By the way, I actually recently discovered that one of my iLoks had TLC switched off ... I can only guess that it happened at ZDT renewal, although it hasn't happened before, or to my other protected iLok. But it did happen when renewal failed automatically because my registered debit card had expired and I had not updated its details. That has made me make a mental note to check TLC status when ZDT subscription renews in future.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)