Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-27-2002, 10:32 AM

Default Best stand alone CDR?

I record alot of long form voiceover in my studio. Audiobooks etc. I mostly record straigt into pro-tools with a dat b/u. Then I burn them a data cd and off it goes to the editor.
However, more of my clients are asking that sessions be recorded onto a stand alone cdr for delivery to their editors.
Question:
Some clients have recomended the HHB 850.
I have also heard talk of the Sony cdr W66.
The machine I pick should not only sound good but also hold up under many hours of recording.
I would welcome any advice or recomendations on this matter

Thanks in advance
CS
Old 02-27-2002, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Best stand alone CDR?

I would "not" buy the Tascam CD-RW2000. Our facility bought 3 and "all" came down with the same problem within months of each other(bad power supply I beleive)Tascam did fix them all for free, but it was a real pain to pack them up and ship them out. They do work fine now, but I bet every unit they made will eventually need this fixed. I have no experience with the other units you mentioned but have heard good things about the HHB stuff.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:09 PM

Plextor.......Plextor....PlextorPlextor.......Plex tor....PlextorPlextor.......Plextor....PlextorPlex tor.......Plextor....PlextorPlextor.......Plextor. ...PlextorPlextor.......Plextor....PlextorPlextor. ......Plextor....PlextorPlextor.......Plextor....P lextorPlextor.......Plextor....PlextorPlextor..... ..Plextor....Plextor
Old 02-27-2002, 04:19 PM

Thank you all for your valuable input.

I was not aware that plextor made a STANDALONE
CDR. I know that they have had a good reputation (although pricey) for external drives

CS
Old 02-27-2002, 04:59 PM

Why not just burn the audio CDs from your CPU to your current CD-R writer?

What capability will a standalone give you that you don't already have?
Old 02-27-2002, 05:28 PM

AUDIO AUDIO. I found that having a stand alone is very handy. I insert mine after my main bus and before my amplifier. This allows me to burn exactly what I'm hearing at the moment. For example, if you have a bunch of MIDI stuff returning to your console instead of aux tracks in Pro TOols you can just burn what you're listening to right then. No more setup, recording, blah blah. No extra work. I mainly use it for 'end of the night just to sit with' rough mixes.

As far as my opinion on the topic, I would record into PT, burn a mixed mode CD with the DATA session as well as an AUDIO track on one disc if space permitts. Then they can have it in audio format to listen to and also data format to import from all on one disc!
Old 02-27-2002, 06:13 PM

Here's the deal. After recording an actor for eight straight hours, the director wants to grab the cd, fed ex it to the editor right now. They would rather pay an editor less bucks to strip the data off an audio cd than spend the extra bucks of big dollor studio time while I burn cd's after the session. Even though they pay the actors big big bucks to come in and read, they prefer not to pay any extra studio time than they have to. Can't say that I blame them. Most directors hate dats, editors who work in pro-tools prefer sound designer 2 data dats, but will settle for audio cd.

This is why in the end, at least in the long form spoken word biz, standalone cdrs are popular

Cheers
Craig
Old 02-28-2002, 12:17 AM

i have been using the old good cdr870 phillips, but uses only audio consumer cds and it is really good. it is a semi-pro device but i have seen this powerful toy in many places. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:48 AM

Been using the hhb 850 for about 3 years
with no problems, works and sounds great.
I think fostex has an exact clone in white,
You might want to consider the 850plus, it
has a word clock input..

Eric
www.peaksound.com
Old 03-01-2002, 08:48 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by iank:
I would "not" buy the Tascam CD-RW2000. Our facility bought 3 and "all" came down with the same problem within months of each other(bad power supply I beleive)Tascam did fix them all for free, but it was a real pain to pack them up and ship them out. They do work fine now, but I bet every unit they made will eventually need this fixed. I have no experience with the other units you mentioned but have heard good things about the HHB stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a terrible experiance. Just to be fair, I thought i'd add that we have a CDRW-2000 and absolutly love it. We have run the crap out of it for 6 months and never had a problem yet.

We also have the new Tascam CDRW402, which is the one I would recommend. It can burn to 2 bays at the same time, then duplicate from one to the other as well. It's like the big brother to the RW-2000. Very handy if you want to make a copy for 4 or 5 people after the session session.

Turn Me Up!™ – Sign Up Now to Bring Dynamics Back to Music (www.TurnMeUp.org)