Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-29-2001, 01:24 AM

Default EQ ... DIGI 001 versus everything else

I'm bouncing to disk through a master fader with dithering. When I listen to the resulting .wav file via a SB Live and MS Media Player it sounds very poorly equalized. And when I burn a cd and play it through my stereo it also sounds bad. In both cases, very over-bassed and a bit muddy. But when I pull the 16 bit file back into ProToolsLE and listen to it through the Digi001 on headphones or monitors it sounds fine again. Sooo... how do I adjust EQ / SW / HW so that the digi001 sounds at least close to the real workd
Old 11-29-2001, 04:39 AM

Default Re: EQ ... DIGI 001 versus everything else

Fixed. Or at least understood. Everything
sounds different through the Digi-001.
Very bass-weak. This isn't a criticism... I
just didn't realize how different the eq was
on the -001.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:38 PM

If you can´t rely on what you hear then the digi001 ain´t worth sXXt.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:41 PM

Or is this all because of the lousy digi001wavedrivers?
Old 11-30-2001, 06:41 PM

come on folks, give me some feedback on this one. I´m addicted to the PT software but i need some things sorted out first before going buying the digi001, this matter is certainley one of these. thnx in advance
Old 11-30-2001, 07:00 PM

Okay here's a suggestion. Go to the Lets hear you stuff post...
http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...&f=32&t=002912

... and listen to the awesome stuff people have created using the Digi001. I think it speaks for itself.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:05 PM

that kind of replys will never come handy dude, keep em for lonely days. I want to be sure about my mixing situation, listening to other peoples song won´t solve **** !(pardon my french)
Old 11-30-2001, 07:29 PM

What kind of monitoring environment are you using? What did you use before you got the Digi 001? The reason I ask is because I had very similar problems to what the initial post described when I first started using Pro Tools LE. The reason for my problem was due to the fact that I wasn't used to the monitoring environment. I had been using a home stereo receiver which had EQ and the loudness control built in (I utilized both at the time) so I was used to hearing music a certain way through that set up. When I got the 001, I changed over to studio near field monitors and a flat power amp with no eq at all. Without knowing it at the time, I was pumping way too much low end into the mixes to compensate. Needless to say, my mixes were very low end heavy and muddy sounding on other stereo systems even though it sounded great through my studio monitors.

The way I fixed it was to purchase a stereo 31 band equalizer to eq my studio monitors (not the eq in Pro Tools). I picked a professionally mastered disc that I was used to hearing a certain way and adjusted the eq until the CD sounded the way I was used to hearing it. All of a sudden, my mixes were much cleaner and "normal" sounding. I just want to stress that the external EQ was only used between the 001 outputs and the power amp.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:39 PM

in general the monitors and so on are in deed important to this matter, in this case though there's a diference in sound between files played in PTLE and from for example winamp(using the wav-drivers) through the digi 001 and the SBlive in the other case with the same speakers. so the issue is: does digi001 add bass(for example) inits monitoring wich would be fatal?
Old 11-30-2001, 08:16 PM

I guess I don't have an answer for you then. Is it only through Pro Tools that you get the added bass or do you get it with some programs and not others? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]