Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2001, 05:28 PM

Default Trouble with spdif as effect send: AMIII

I'm trying to use the spdif on my AMIII as an effect send and return for a Roland 3030d.

For some reason the sound card seems to be sending what sound like static-electric clicks to the left side only. The clicks get effected and returned along with the intended signal. The clicks are very loud, and only on the left side.

If i mute the source track, the clicks stop being sent yet, of course, the clicks don't exist on the (mono) track. The right side is behaving normally.

I've tested the 3030d with another spdif card, and no problems.

I've tried different configurations for routing the track to the effect and every possible spdif clocking combination: the clicks persist.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Old 11-30-2001, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Trouble with spdif as effect send: AMIII

when using spdif in and out on
audimediaIII and protools to an ext. unit (in this case TC M-ONE).
I get the EXACT same klik on the left side..

Protools or audiomedia III sends a random "klik" sound 3-6 times per 4 minutes.
Why oh why.... it drives me nuts (and makes the spdif useless)
TC unit is in sync 44.1
spdif mirror is off.

ive postet this problem before
http://duc. digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=32&t=002755

please help
Brian Uller
Denmark
Old 11-30-2001, 09:19 AM
Avid

-Locate the first string of alpha-numeric characters under the words “PCI Matchmaker” on the large chip in the center of the card. If the string ends with the letter(s) “Q” or “QC” you need to get the card upgraded (to revision “QE”). Contact the nearest Digi field office to get an RA issued for the card: http://www.digidesign.com/aboutus/contact/

Brent
Old 11-30-2001, 04:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
-Locate the first string of alpha-numeric characters under the words “PCI Matchmaker” on the large chip in the center of the card. If the string ends with the letter(s) “Q” or “QC” you need to get the card upgraded (to revision “QE”). Contact the nearest Digi field office to get an RA issued for the card: http://www.digidesign.com/aboutus/contact/

Brent
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got the QE

My clicking is faster than Uller's about 5 per second with the occasional second or two of quiet in between flurries.

Even if i only route the signal (in this case a vocal) to the right spdif out, the clicking noise is still sent (now by itself) to the left out. If i mute the vocal track, no noises and of course, no signal on either spdif out.

If i just use the right input on my 3030d (ignoring the noise ridden left channel), i get a clean useable signal. But for the long term this is an unacceptable solution.

I've tried sending the spdif out to my Gina24 spdif in and it too recieves the static-electric sounding clicks on the left side only.

However, with spdif mirroring i sent the stereo mix to my Gina's spdif input and no clicking. This appears to only happen when the spdif is used independently, as an effect send.

I also tried removing the Gina card from my machine in case it was causing some electrical interference, but that didn't solve the problem either.

I need to fix this.

Steve
Old 12-01-2001, 03:56 PM

Another piece to the puzzle:

This only happens at 48k. When i run the exact same session with exactly the same i/o routing, only at 44.1k the clicking stops, and of course the session plays too slow.

And remember i have PT set to internal, i have my Roland set to external and the clicks also happened when i sent the spdif to my Gina card instead of the Roland.

I really doubt this is a simple clocking issue.

Steve