Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 09-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Avid

Default Re: Auto-Bank to selected track

It sounds like the documentation needs to be update to reflect the fact that banking is only triggered manually, from the Tracks page or from the DAW.

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-26-2019, 03:46 PM

I guess I am not understanding the point of Auto-Bank to Attention Track because that seems like the setting of "Always" under "Auto-Bank to Track Mode" does not work. It would be great if it worked the way the documentation reads, that is how I would like it to work and currently, you can not do that but sounds like at one point you could. If you didn't want that to work that way then you would just set it to Off and only use Auto-Bank to Attention Track. I'm not quite seeing how they are conflicting.

It still simply doesn't change anything for me regardless of those three settings with "Auto-Bank to Attention Track" unchecked. Sorry to be so dense but I'm just confused what those settings are doing in the current version.

Last edited by skilletaudio; 10-16-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:58 PM
Avid

Greetings,

Auto-Bank to Track Mode can be set to:
(1) Off
(2) If Not Visible on Surface
(3) Always.

As I mentioned, there is an unwanted interaction between the Tracks > Local Options preference for Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track.

If you want to trigger banking behaviors from Pro Tools I would recommend the following:

(A) Disable the Tracks > Local Options Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track.
(B) Choose one of the three options for Auto-Bank from Settings > User.
(C) Enable Track Name from Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area under Settings > User.

If you don't want to Bank from Pro Tools - certainly disable the function or set it to Off. If you want to Attention from the Tracks page enable Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track under Tracks > Local Options but realize that it will currently have a detrimental effect to the "If Not Visible on Surface" option when triggered from Pro Tools.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post

If you want to trigger banking behaviors from Pro Tools I would recommend the following:

(A) Disable the Tracks > Local Options Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track.
(B) Choose one of the three options for Auto-Bank from Settings > User.
(C) Enable Track Name from Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area under Settings > User.

Jeff thank you very much for sticking with me on this, it seems like there might be some conflicts or issues on my Avid S6 because the behavior was hit and miss as I clicked in Pro Tools when set to Always. Sometimes it would bank the surface when clicking track names in Pro Tools and a few times it would select the tracks and not bank. It seems to be working pretty consistently for me this morning though.

I think the confusing part for me was that "Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track" AND "Track Name" are enabled then the auto "Auto-Bank to Track Mode" changes make no difference.

So just from the side of Pro Tools and clicking on track names with

Option 1
Same-----(0) Pro Tools preference ""Scroll to Track" Banks Controllers" turned off or on it doesn't matter since that seems to only affect control+shift+clicking track name.
Different--(A) Disable the Tracks > Local Options Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track.
Different--(B) Choose Auto-Bank to Track Mode from Settings > User and set to Always.

Same-----(C) Enable Track Name from Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area under Settings > User.

Is the same as

Option 2
Same-----(0) Pro Tools preference ""Scroll to Track" Banks Controllers" turned off or on it doesn't matter since that seems to only affect control+shift+clicking track name.
Different--(A) Enable the Tracks > Local Options Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track.
Different--(B) Choose Auto-Bank to Track Mode from Settings > User and set to Off.

Same-----(C) Enable Track Name from Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area under Settings > User.

When clicking in Pro Tools. The only difference being that option 2 also makes it so when you are in Attention mode on the S6 that it also banks from the tracks page. I hope I understand all the nuanced interactions and differences now. For me, Option 1 is very hit and miss on attentioning tracks to the attention fader when I click in Pro tools (60% of the time it works, 40% it doesn't and almost 100% of the time it banks the surface).

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
(B) Using the Tracks Page on Master Module to Attention & Bank:
Make sure the Tracks page on the Master Module is in Attention mode. Enable Settings > User Auto-Bank to Track Mode = Always. Also enable from Tracks > Local Options the option Auto Bank to Attentioned Track. Simply touch a Track on the Tracks page.
I'm sure this is a given but if I could add "while in Attention mode" not Select or Assign. From the original question, he asked when I press the select button on the S6 so I thought we were in Select mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abx992000 View Post
The only thing I fail is when I press the Select button on the S6 or in Pro Tools, I want the track on the S6 to be banked to fader 1 on the left. It does not work
So to be sure there is no way to do what he asked by pressing the select button on a channel strip to have it bank to fader 1, is that correct?

Last edited by skilletaudio; 09-27-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Avid

That is correct.

MTRX FAQ
Old 09-30-2019, 08:39 AM

Thanks Jeff.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 PM

It would be nice if "Auto-Bank to Track Mode" were renamed to "Auto-Bank to Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area Preference" or if you need to go simpler "Auto-Bank to Attention Options" or "Auto-Bank to DAW Changes." Track mode is too vague and is not explained in the manual and doesn't seem to really mean anything there is a "Banking Mode" and a "Layout Mode."

I just read through all of this thread again and played with all these options. Reread the manual (which I wish it worked like the manual said because those are nice options). "Auto-Bank to Track Mode" only works in conjunction with doing things in the DAW never anything on the surface that I can tell and it is based on the options selected under "Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area."

I'm sorry I am slow on this but if there is something I am missing still please advise. I'd love to hear Eddie's thoughts on this as well. Thanks Jeff for all your help with this.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:51 AM
Avid

I agree there’s plenty of room for optimization of the S6 Preferences nomenclature.

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 10-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Thanks Jeff