Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2000, 09:52 AM

Default Wanna help a fledgeling Producer???

Just recorded a band on my shiny new MixPlus system. (only 2.5 mo's old now) The band members are under 18 yrs old.

I recorded, mixed, etc... on my own, and a local radio station will air the CD.

Can anyone advise on what contracts/paperwork I will need to cover myself and the band. I don't know of what standard contracts I will need. I assume the bandmembers' parents will have to sign (due to their ages).

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S. If anyone wanted to 'email' any documents to me for use as a 'guide', I can be reached at
[email protected]
Old 09-06-2000, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Wanna help a fledgeling Producer???

I would start by having the song(s) copyrighted by the Library of Congress. This will ensure the band true ownership and protection if someone else tries to claim the song as their own.
Old 09-06-2000, 04:47 PM

You should be reading (right now!) a book called "This Business of Music". It's available at Amazon as well as usually in stock at Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.

It gives sample contracts for songwriters, producers, record companies, etc.

They are a lot simpler than the contracts you'd see in actual use, but they at least cover the basics.

Another book I'd highly recommend is "Confessions of a Record Producer" by Moses Avalon. It's pretty unique in that it talks about contracts from each party's perspective (what the record company wants vs what the producer wants vs what the "talent" wants).

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 09-07-2000, 12:22 AM

Rat1016 is on the right track. Get the standard copyright form PA from the Office of Copyright in the Library of Congress. This will assure that the ownership of the song will remain in the hands of the authors. But what about the recording that you just slaved over? What's to stop the band's roadie from taking the credit for (and recieving all the mechanical fees from) the original recording? Go the next step and request a form SR from the copyright office. This form is filed to protect the ownership of the specific sound recording of that song.

------------------
Richards Outpost Audio
* Ain't Life Grand?*
Old 09-07-2000, 12:54 AM

Cool!

I'll try to look these up.
(Borgbilly) - I didn't know about this form SR. The band is very appreciative and happy with the 'sound' I developed for their songs. I wouldn't want this to be lost.

Anyone know about contracts to "sign" the band. In other words, let me distribute CD's for airplay and get paid royalties to distribute to the band members. I'm not interested in managing the band, merely helping them get airplay and playing producer. They sell their own copies at shows, but what if someone actually hears it on the radio and likes it?

I recorded them free of charge as a favor (friends), and they wouldn't mind me 'marketing' them with any connections I might have.

[This message has been edited by MMazurek (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old 09-07-2000, 07:50 AM

Thanks LW,
This seems like the perfect info for me. I'll probobly buy both books, they sound like just what the doctor ordered.
Does anyone know if the Library of Congress forms are available online. Or another way of getting them?
The DUC RULES! (well 10% DUC and 90% cool helpful people)
Old 09-07-2000, 02:33 PM

Carefull you don't 'shift goal posts' by at first a friendly offer to record them and give em a hand with music biz stuff, then later insist they sign 'telephone book thick' contracts that tie them exclusivly to you for years.
Bands and thier advisors go all out to avoid ANY early days contractual ties.
Really the best time to have mentioned contracts would have been at the beginning, you may now find yourself running behind them 'begging' or 'worried you might miss out' which can be galling and humiliating. .
On this one, best keep it friendly so that they come back for the next recording, then use a simple 2 page agreement that INCLUDES THE LAST ONE TOO!
All the big sharks in the biz don't need contracts in the first stages because the acts see them relaxed and confident so stick with em ... Sooner rather than later a contract does appear, but good relations with the band are the key, keep them and you are golden. Get crabby and all you got is a contract & no band.

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 09-07-2000, 03:58 PM

Jules is right. I'm struggling trying to maintain a friendly relationship with an artist I produced a couple of years ago with only a handshake agreement and am now trying to put it in writing. It seems that recollections change...

Keep it friendly and as casual as possible...

I now use SIMPLE, one-page forms that are not intimidating when producing a new artist. Usually, I just call them "Production Agreement".

However, all the forms (PA, SR, etc.) are available as PDF forms from www.loc.gov on their ftp site. The PA form is easy to find, the SR form will require a little more digging. Also pick up circular 56a which describes the difference be PA and SR.

Good Luck!

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 09-07-2000, 07:08 PM

SNIP FROM LW-------
Jules is right. I'm struggling trying to maintain a friendly relationship with an artist I produced a couple of years ago with only a handshake agreement and am now trying to put it in writing.

It seems that recollections change...
END SNIP------------

"recollections change"...AND HOW...

If I see potential in an artist, I reach for the paper first. It gets messy later, when artist ego steps in and your brilliant editing and production job, were/are suddenly all the artist's ideas, simply executed by you "the editor" and co-writer @ times....its a tough one...

Old 09-08-2000, 08:00 AM

It seems you guyz like to do business like me. I'm not actually interested in making anything off of this at this point, more in developing relationships. I'd rather be the nice guy that helpled someone out than the %&#!hole that sucked them in. I kinda beleive in a paycheck as a 'thank you', not a 'gimme what's mine'.

The work put in as a favor is literally 'no strings attached'. I'm just helping to get someone recorded and aired, and maybe I'll get the phone to ring some day...

Thanks for the advice...

[This message has been edited by MMazurek (edited September 08, 2000).]