Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2000, 10:21 AM
Jim Clark

Default Pro Tools \"to go\" - how should I do it?

I occasionally need to record interviews, etc. Mostly mono stuff. Sometimes stereo. So, for this type of situation is there a portable PT rig I could use - possibly a powerbook or something? Any body doing this?
I would still take DAT as a backup. But it sure would be nice to just go record, come back and get to work without having to transfer stuff.

TIA,

Jim
Old 06-18-2000, 06:24 PM
Jim Clark

Default Re: Pro Tools \"to go\" - how should I do it?

Bumping to the top.

Is anyone recording in the field direct to disc? If so, how?
Old 06-23-2000, 06:44 PM

I've read articles and seen stuff on the User Stories section about "Portable ProTools For Star Wars" about a guy that put together a portable PT rig w/ a G3 Powerbook and Expansion Chassis to do ADR on the last Star Wars movie w/Gallery ADR Studio software. Seemed to work fine in the article, but then I just read in the DUC that Digi doesn't support any such configuration, so....Hope this helps.

------------------
Joe Milner
Puget Sound
Los Angeles

[This message has been edited by JKD99 (edited June 23, 2000).]

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 06-26-2000, 02:36 AM

If all you are doing is simple documentation (especially something as simple as interviews) I can't imagine why one would even consider dealing with the potential headaches of portable DAW as opposed to a good DAT recorder (e.g. the Tascam) and a good mic. It is certainly easy enough to dump the material in digitally when back at home base. If, on the other hand, you need to be doing instant editing, then perhaps it's worth it. But otherwise I'd hang with the DAT.

------------------
Eric Bazilian/The Mousetrap
"Music Is Good"
Old 06-26-2000, 10:20 AM
Jim Clark

Thanks for the input, Joe & Eric.
After I posted this I also read some of the powerbook threads elsewhere on the DUC.
It's true that DAT in the field is pretty simple and reliable - arguably a very good reason to just keep on doing it that way...
Maybe I'm just being seduced by the idea of even more portablity in the field and direct interface (no waiting) back at the studio. If however, this is still in the "not supported" category, or the "somtimes it may work" category, I am definitely going to wait awhile.

Regards,

Jim
Old 06-26-2000, 01:06 PM

Check out the Deva, if you're serious about this money-wise, as it seems you are. It's kind of like a disc-based Nagra...

Sean H

Scofield...
Old 06-30-2000, 01:52 PM

Hi, digi "not supported" doesn't necessarily mean "won't work" or "sometimes works", but simply "not tested" and "not our fault if you waste your money on the wrong set up" - fair enough!
If you can afford the risk, it might just always do what you want it to.
imi
Old 07-01-2000, 01:52 PM

I use a PowerBook G3 (1999 model w/SCSI or Lombard) and Pro Tools 4.2.3 with Power Mix 1.1.3. This gives me 16 tracks fo audio @ 16 bit. For input I use SwissSonic Studio D USB audio interface. (48K @ 20bit). This unit has 2 Microphone inputs with switchable phantom power, phase inversion switch and insert jacks. It also has 4 Stereo line inputs and 2 high impedance instrument inputs. On the digital end it has S/PDIF optical and coaxial digital input/output. All fo under $600.00 if you shop it.

I have been using this set up for field recording of all types (dialog, foley & music). I transfer the files (ethernet) to my G4/500 with Mix Plus (3 farm cards & Sample Cell II+) for editing. I have the Option AV (Avid ABVB & Janis compression card) so I can import Avid video files (OMF) and at no time during a project do I leave the SCSI domain. Fast and easy.

The only bummer is cost of the notebook, ouch, and the fact that I had to device a way to keep the PowerBooks lid proped slightly open while under my arm. The PowerBook dosen't work with ProTools when the lid is closed.

For the price, a TC DAT is hard to beat but, belive me, most people "trip out" when I show up with a bag under each arm and a boom mic in my hand. They "trip" real hard when I'm editing 10 sec. after they yell "cut". All under battery power (2 to 3 hrs each)

You can also look into the Digigram VXpocket type II card if you need 24 bit recording @ 48K (2 XLR I/O & SPDIF I/O) or a Magam 4 slot if you need Mix or Mix Plus & acclerated SCSI. Thats what the boys at Skywalker are using.
NOTE: The Magma does not work with my model of notebook (Lombard) but it does work with the new PowerBooks (Pismo) or the older PowerBook (Wallstreet)
Old 07-01-2000, 11:15 PM

If you're sick of taking the time to transfer into ProTools afterwards, why not use a CD recorder instead of a DAT recorder? That way you can extract the audio tracks off the CD much quicker than real time. Assuming you're using a mac I believe this option is under Import Audio From Other movie.
Old 07-03-2000, 11:37 PM

I had heard that the Pismo's don't work with the new Magma chassis....(on a post here last week)....check it out first...

As far as the "Import from Movie", on the rare times I need to import that way I try to use Toast's Extractor, it seems faster...

Sean H

Scofield...