Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2000, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Wanna help a fledgeling Producer???

You have the right attitude M. Do it because you love it...we all reap what we sow now, don't we? However, a contract is nothing more than a clearly defined set of agreements put down on paper lest we forget what we agreed upon. An engineer/producer can make or break a band as much or more than the musicians themselves and for that reason are sought after and revered. So what I'm saying is protect yourself. If you do the work, you deserve the credit and any respectable partner will agree that you're worth your pound of flesh.
There's one thing I've learned in my life...do good unto others and expect the same in return...
Old 09-10-2000, 10:11 AM

If the band recorded at your studio and you paid for all associated costs- you own the master. The band will have the right to re-record the songs but if someone wants to release the masters they must deal with you as well as the band.
Old 09-10-2000, 01:37 PM

Hi, Another great book is: "Breakin' in to the Music Buxiness" by Alan H. Siegel. (An entertainment attorney.) Jim T.
Old 09-10-2000, 01:42 PM

Wow, talk about Freudian slips! That's Music BuSiness! By the way the publisher is:Cherry Lane. Protect yourself. I've been a producer for a while and like to keep it friendly and for the art primarily- like the other folks here, but let's face it... If the "improbable " happens and millions of dollars are made for everyone else but you, it's only human nature to regret it for the rest of your life if you didn't take precautions... Good luck. Jim T.
Old 09-10-2000, 04:28 PM

Allready picked up "This Business of Music" and it's an AWESOME compilation of useful information.
It's got a CDROM in the back with MANY printable sample contracts and even the forms listed above. ($29 at Borders)

....cool psychedelic cover too
Old 09-11-2000, 11:26 AM

I would also strongly recommend "All You Need To Know About The Music Business" by Don Passman.

There's a sequel too, with a similar title...

It's basically the same material, but written more casually, and I think with a better slant toward the individual vs. the company!

------------------
Score Mixer/Record Producer
www.parkedalien.com
CDs, Discussions, Creative Audio