Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2017, 12:57 AM

Default How can I use an S3 if it has no serial number on it?

Is the Avid S3 I purchased used today on Craigslist for $2,650 worthless if it has no serial number on it anywhere? It came with the product card with a number on it but the serial number is missing on the S3 and on the box.

Here is what happened:
I purchased Pro Tools this week (01/04/2017) and found a used S3 on Craigslist still in a sealed box. The ad stated"never registered" new S3. I met the person at my bank and he showed me a receipt from MusiciansFriend with and a transaction id # on it as well a last 4 digit of a credit card used for he purchase.

The Avid S3 was still inside what appeared to be the original exterior shipping box. I removed the Avid Box and ascertained it appeared to be still" factory sealed. I then broke the seal and pulled the unit out; the S3 appeared to be brand new [as I had seen on a youtube video of an S3 box being open up.] It all looked in order so I paid him, I went home, unpacked it, and started setting it up.

I used the the Avid registration card to register it immediately like I had done with Pro Tools this week too. I entered the Product Number off the Avid Card. Then a screen came up asking for the "Serial Number". It indicated that the S.N. would be on the bottom of the devise or on the side of the box. The bottom of the devise was blank where the serial number should have been (White tape with printed number was missing) and there was no serial number on the outside the box or in a "Welcome Letter"with the warranty card or other disclosures.I immediately called Avid Customer Service who seemed befuddled as well, but open a file and referred me to a "Transfer of ownership"Document to fill out and send back.

Can anyone help me understand what I now own? Is this S3 worthless or us there a way to use it with the latest version of Pro Tools (12.0) that I own and have registered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the Avid Transfer of ownership information for anyone not familiar with how they are supposed to sell their assets when they finally will want to do in the future at some point. Good luck with selling a Avid products used unless there is a way around it herein!

Thank you so much if you can help me or even try to help me

Mark
Palo Alto, Ca
[U]
Taken from the various Avid Support pages:

[How do I submit a Transfer of Ownership form for Avid Audio (Digidesign) hardware and software?]

[Avid has updated the process for transferring pre-owned Audio products to include both software licensing* as well as hardware. Transfer of registration will ensure that the product is listed under your name, provide software downloads where available, entitle you to participate in applicable Avid Hardware Exchange Programs, and to acquire certain repair services for your hardware (repair fees may apply).

If you are selling a used system, you should fill out the seller's portion of the Transfer of Ownership Form and include it with the sale. After both buyer and seller have completed and signed the Transfer of Ownership form, it will need to be submitted to Avid for processing. Be sure to complete all required information to ensure your transfer can be completed. Incomplete forms may not be processed.

To submit a Transfer of Ownership form for products requiring a Service Transfer Fee, please start a Registration Case. Fill out the requested case information and attach a legible, scanned copy of your Transfer of Ownership form to the case. Files may be attached via the "Browse" field at the bottom of the registration case form.

To submit a Transfer of Ownership form for products requiring an Avid Support Code (ASC), please start an ASC Support Case. Fill out the requested case information and attach a legible, scanned copy of your Transfer of Ownership form to the case.

Please allow up to 5 business days after submission for your transfer to be completed. You should receive a transfer confirmation once done]

It appears that Avid is hyper restrictive such that they may have created a licensing agreement that makes the used Avid products almost unsalable.

Think about it: When do you turn over money or accept money for the transfer of ownership? If you pay for the devise before the transfer is approved, you just purchase a worthless piece of equipment if it's not approved. If you transfer you devise before the money is accepted, then if the other party backs out--the unit is already in the other party's name! It really isn't a REASONABLY workable system

Is there a way around this for me?

Thank you do much Mark
Old 01-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Default Re: How can I use an S3 if it has no serial number on it?

I don't know about the official procedure/status here but presumably all you need is a copy of the Eucon software and then you will be able to use the S3 regardless of not having a serial number.