Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Export QuickTime Movie

Reposting this here after having my wrist slapped for wrong forum...

Hey all,

I've been exporting mixes for review as a QT for years now. We've just upgraded my mix studio to PT8 HD.

Before you would export the QT, set the audio settings and it would stitch the audio onto whichever QT was online in the session. Easy and quick.

Now it's taking a bloody age as PT is re-encoding the H264 QT into another H264 QT instead of simply copying it. Am I missing something here? The new options window is identical to QTPro (which I have QTPro7 installed).

I'm not using the H264 QT in my session, other than to export to as it's then uploaded via FTP. Can't be doing that with a 5Gb DVPAL version.

Cheers

Ian

Website
IMDB

Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Export QuickTime Movie

bounce to .wav
close Pro Tools Session
open quicktime with QT Pro
open .wav with quicktime
select all, and copy to clipboard (from the .wav file)
switch to movie, type (cmd-J) to open the movie properties window
select the audio track and delete it.
then press opt-cmd-V to past the bounced .wav into the movie
cmd-shift-S to save as self contained.

this will save the QT you used in your PT session with bounced audio from the session.

Bounce to Quicktime takes too long.

I hope that was clear.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM

+1 to the method explained above. Fast and easy. Only issue is when picture has a leader or slate. I usually trim the picture first so the FFOA is the same for picture and exported/bounced .wav files.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM

Hmm, in my case bounce to quicktime takes just as long as bounce to wav, realtime that is. It just replaces the audio in the movie without reencoding.
UNLESS you choose Bounce to quicktime with cmd-alt-ctrl pressed. Then you can specify the codec.

Fajita's workflow is also very useful, specially when you only need to consolidate rather than bounce. The only thing I may add is that you must make sure that the consolidated or bounced audio is the exact same lenght as the movie, or at least starts at the same point.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM

Yes, bounce to QT is a BOUNCE (real time), benefits of course are that the audio chain runs through your automation and plugins. But, if you've already bounced the audio, then the tip above will work fine. Keep in mind though that it's not always sync accurate, as you're matching audio to video via command, not by eyes. If the video AND audio are EXACT same length, then you're good.

(read).. there is also a way to nudge audio in the tip above, but it's not as easy and accurate as in PT
Old 03-29-2010, 04:17 AM

Ian Palmer
Just use ctrl+option+cmd+click "export -> QT" for bounce to another video format.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:45 AM

See my problem is that I want to export video how v7 did. I don't want another video format to re-encode. My session always has 2; DVPAL for playback and H264 to export to so I can FTP it.

Going to export audio and cut/copy/paste onto a duplicate of the QT, quickest way methinks.

Find this a step back.

Website
IMDB

Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Weird, this should work fine.

I'm running 8.03 here and Bounce to quicktime with a DV quicktime works perfect with no conversion. I even just tried a session with a DV file and an h.264 file and both export to their respective formats correctly.

The QT Pro method is fine, but sometimes it's handy just to bounce right out of your session.

See if you can isolate a possible issue, or post more specifics about the session you are having trouble with.

edit: I'm on an LE system atm, is this a TDM specific issue?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:52 AM

HD only - LE will make a copy of the video file and tack on your audio after the bounce, HD does not give you the option and you have to re-encode..PITA...
D
Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Animation View Post
HD only - LE will make a copy of the video file and tack on your audio after the bounce, HD does not give you the option and you have to re-encode..PITA...
D
Seems like this is an 8.03 thing. Just tested it on an 8.01cs2 TDM system and it works perfectly, without encoding....