Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Default X SAN ProTools Support?

The facility I work at recently purchases an X SAN system. We were assured that "ProTools can read and write to it just fine". The X SAN drive is recognized by OS X (Leopard) and ProTools (7.4.2) but we are unable to change the volume type of the drive from "Transfer" to "Record" in workspace. (When tried, we receive the error ""LA_Post" cannot be designated as an Audio volume because it is not a fixed, removable or MediaNet volume" (The volume is named "LA_Post".) Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Default Re: X SAN ProTools Support?

in short you were lied to.

there may be a way to trick PT but I have not done it

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-27-2008, 01:32 AM

I believe iSCSI systems work with PT but not Xsan.

frank.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:40 AM

Frank is right
ProTools has it's own way of handling File level Sharing or Block Level Sharing
You actually need a third party software in order to utilize the XSAN and be able for the
storage pool to work with PT(r/w) via iSCSI:
(at least this is what they claim)

http://www.commandsoft.com/software_fibrejet.jsp or
http://www.fibreshare.com/index.php?...on=com_content

Or go for a complete solution like:http://www.ardistech.com/ http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/
Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM

FibreJet and other Volume Locking storage solutions work because they are HFS+based. Xsan if File Level Locking,
Old 08-26-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwilliamson View Post
The facility I work at recently purchases an X SAN system. We were assured that "ProTools can read and write to it just fine". The X SAN drive is recognized by OS X (Leopard) and ProTools (7.4.2) but we are unable to change the volume type of the drive from "Transfer" to "Record" in workspace. (When tried, we receive the error ""LA_Post" cannot be designated as an Audio volume because it is not a fixed, removable or MediaNet volume" (The volume is named "LA_Post".) Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi
sadly Xsan can not be used as a audio drive (for record or playback) by PT and whoever sold you it should know that; Digidesign have been telling people that it can't since Apple released it.
Like someone else said its to do with the way PT accesses the file system. PT don't work with software based raid systems which is really what Xsan is. There are ways to fool PT to work with it but having tried it I would not recommend them. That said you can play video off a Xsan in PT which speeds thing up a great deal and depending on the speed of your fibre channel connection copying sessions to and from is very, very fast.
The iscsi route can use the Xsan storage (I believe), but be sure to test before buying
Hope this helps
Pete