Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 PM

No sweat digilom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilogin View Post
... simply having logic chase pro tools...
That, unfortunately, is the rub...

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
The IAC bus trick is awesome. I wish I would have known about this a long time ago. I always saw IAC in AMS but never really knew what it was for or how well it worked. Thanks everyone for the help!

digilogin - What exact OS version are you on?

hello,

10.4.9. however, i do not think that is the issue. probably the pro tools version. but who knows?

digilom
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Avid

I'm going to see if I can find a 7.3.1 machine to test this with. I would expect that it would work, but can't be sure until I test it.

Quote:
Hey digilom,
Here's an alternate "step-by-step" that I put together mostly based on Bashville's prior thread on this topic
I saw that post and want to point out that there's at least one thing missing from this setup - f you're sending optical out from the Mac to your Digi interface, you either need to have Pro Tools clocked to the digital input you're using OR you need to connect an output from your Digi interface back to the Mac and make sure the Mac is set to 'external' for clock source, otherwise you may get glitches/pops when monitoring.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilogin View Post
hello,

10.4.9. however, i do not think that is the issue. probably the pro tools version. but who knows?

digilom
This really should have NO effect, as you're running these independently of each other. Typically the version is only a factor when you want to use DAE/DTDM in Logic with Digi HW.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 PM

I only asked to make sure he wasn't using 7.3.1 on 10.5.4 or something strange like that with PT.

If you go to setup > Peripherals, and reader is set to ANY and generator is the IAC bus, then open Session setup in PT is the incoming time rolling?

Mine is, not sure if that proves that Pro Tools is sending out MTC out the IAC bus and also reading it coming in on IAC bus, but it appears that this is true because but my timecode is rolling on session setup window when PT reader is set to any.
I was just trying to think of any way to verify that the MTC is making it out of PT fine and to focus on Logic.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Avid

Digilogin - can you try a test for me? I want to verify that Pro Tools is sending MTC down the IAC bus.

In Pro Tools go to Session>Setup and keep that window open.

Then go to Setup>Peripherals and choose the IAC Bus in both the MTC Reader and Generator ports. Close the Peripherals window and press play in Pro Tools - does the Incoming Time in the upper right of the Session Setup window scroll?

If it's scrolling, that's good. To double verify that it's indeed working correctly, try changing the MTC Reader port to something else, like a MIDI interface port. If you press play and it no longer scrolls, we'll know for sure that Pro Tools is sending MTC down the IAC bus and we'll have to look at settings in Logic for the actual problem with sync....
Old 08-12-2008, 01:49 PM

docric -

So do you guys keep all the midi performance inside of Pro Tools?
I was trying to use Instrument tracks, setting their outputs to a new IAC bus, recording midi in PT to these tracks and monitoring the audio coming back. Is this what you guys do?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I saw that post and want to point out that there's at least one thing missing from this setup - f you're sending optical out from the Mac to your Digi interface, you either need to have Pro Tools clocked to the digital input you're using OR you need to connect an output from your Digi interface back to the Mac and make sure the Mac is set to 'external' for clock source, otherwise you may get glitches/pops when monitoring.
Good pick-up...

I've been using L8 for several months in DTDM/DAE mode and just exporting/importing the needed audio to/from Pro Tools. This workflow is a little ungainly, though.

I've spent a week or so testing out this new workflow, and haven't noticed any WC sync issues (ticks/pops) yet, but this certainly makes sense.
Currently converting Toslink to S/PDIF RCA into a Hedd 192 (clock master). Hedd is input source in PT (digitally via Aurora 16 thruput).

The whole digital I/O aspect of linking L8 & PT in this way has been one of the most frustrating things so far. Seems like there should be a simple method of bringing these tracks back in digitally, since they're on the same machine...

You mentioned that you were using a TDM system along with L8 out various M-Audio I/O's, how are you handling your clocking issues? 192 Master to BNC on M-Audio stuff?

Thanks!

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 08-12-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
docric -

So do you guys keep all the midi performance inside of Pro Tools?
I was trying to use Instrument tracks, setting their outputs to a new IAC bus, recording midi in PT to these tracks and monitoring the audio coming back. Is this what you guys do?
Hey Premo,

No, I generally keep it in L8. Logic seems to be a whole lot more "midi-friendly" to me. However, if I need the midi performance from an L8 track within Pro Tools for stability reasons, I'll export/import from L8 into PT.

The nice thing about setting up identical sessions via the midi type 0 file is that I can always go back to my prior workflow of strictly working in EITHER PT or L8 via Import/Export.

HTH

PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Avid

Quote:
Currently converting Toslink to S/PDIF RCA into a Hedd 192 (clock master). Hedd is input source in PT (digitally via Aurora 16 thruput).
Are you sending that clock signal to the Mac as well? If so - that would explain why you're not having any clock issues. As long as all devices are resolved to the same clock, you're all good.

Quote:
Seems like there should be a simple method of bringing these tracks back in digitally, since they're on the same machine...
My method, if there are tracks in Logic you want to bring into Pro Tools, is just use the 'Export>All Tracks As Audio Files' in Logic, then import them into Pro Tools. Much faster than having to do a digital transfer.

Quote:
You mentioned that you were using a TDM system along with L8 out various M-Audio I/O's, how are you handling your clocking issues? 192 Master to BNC on M-Audio stuff?
Mostly I would use Logic in DAE/DTDM mode and then do the final exports of any audio in Logic to do the final mix in Pro Tools (to take advantage of Delay Compensation for all tracks). It really depends on the project though - some is all Pro Tools, some is Logic with DAE/DTDM. I don't use the 'sync' method above, as it's really unnecessary in my case, but I could see where others may find it useful.

The clock is all via a Sync IO - word clock out to all devices or via a master clock (whatever I can get my hands on). I use the M-Audio device to play iTunes or other Core Audio applications simultaneously when using Pro Tools or as an interface to insert some external hardware I have when using Logic.