Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 10-23-2019, 07:11 AM

Default Icon Wheel Functions

I was just curious if you think you will ever add the functions back that the Icon had with holding down modifiers while doing the wheel to do various things like
  • command + wheel and zooming (it was crazy smooth)
  • Comtion (Command+Option (⌘⌥)) + wheel zooming waveform
  • shift+wheel to go back and forth on timeline etc.
  • Control and shuttling back and forth between tracks (this was so fast and elegant, no equivalent function with the wheel possible that I am aware of.
  • Comift (Command+Shift (⌘⇧)) + wheel should have been MIDI notes zoom but never got implemented (since that was the modifier for [] on keyboard. Which is why Comtion (Command+Option (⌘⌥)) + wheel was done which is [] for the waveform.

I realize you can do most of these with the buttons around the wheel but most don't feel as fluid as it did on the Icon and the modifiers were really nice and natural since they were related to keyboard modifiers used in the DAW already.

Last edited by skilletaudio; 10-24-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:18 AM
Avid

Default Re: Icon Wheel Functions

Yes, we've certainly received this exact feedback over the years. As you mentioned, all of the essential functions of zoom, scroll and scrub are already EUCONized, it's just that they are modal instead of momentary. Unlike D-Control and D-Command, the modifier functions on the S6 Fader Modules have the ability to expand any of the Soft Key functions on the surface with extra layers of programmed functions. For example, if you hold down the Control modifier switch while pressing Capture from Automation 2 - the soft key changes to a Capture All function.

As always, I recommend users optimize the specific section of the console based on your workflow. If you don't use Clip Gain regularly, reprogram the + and - switches around the wheel for Zoom or Waveform Zoom (which currently requires an added Shift to engage it).

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-24-2019, 07:14 AM

Thanks Jeff for the explanation. So is there a way to program the surface to have momentary switches with moving the wheel? I certainly use modifiers with pressing buttons in the softkeys, options+shift when capturing with the soft keys comes to mind as an often pressed one in addition to having made macros with modifiers when soft keys are pressed. However I didn't realize you could hold down control and the pages themselves would change. I not seeing how to modify that but I will have to spend some more time in the manual to see how I can adjust this. I've modified multiple keys to better suit my needs which I love about the S6.

Overall I find the S6 a much, much more flexible and better workflow than the Icon, the buttons leave my fingers less achy at the end of the day, the layouts are wonderful to work with, the softkeys, especially with the added shift+number pad presses, is fantastic and I can get to softkey menus with fewer brain cells exercised, the large touch display is great to use, I love the modularity of it. I only mention the Icon because if it's possible to have the best of both worlds without conflicting features then by all means. I love how many things have been added that were in the Icon that was not part of the S6, to begin with since it was more of a System 5 workflow in the beginning, things like saving parameters to DAW sessions rather than just the computer like the System 5 only did, adding VCA spill in 1.2, reverse sends, v1.3, etc.

1) So it sounds like this may be permanently mapped to the layers of the soft keys and not something you can customize or change if I am understanding you right.
2) I can not find a way to use the wheel and nudging tracks. I assigned the - button to Sufrace>Navigation>Banking>Nudge Left and the + button to Nudge Right and for some reason, those stay lit in conjunction with Eucon buttons and the wheel has no relation to them, they are just one time presses. If there is a way to get Nudge Tracks from the Icon to work with the wheel that would be great!
3) Is there a way to make the buttons stay lit purple when you have pressed shift first and you are on the second layer? It would be nice to look down and quickly see what function you are on.

Last edited by skilletaudio; 10-24-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Bump.