Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Default Boring, but necessary - backup solution

What do you use to backup your audio drives? Is it a part of your daily routine? Anything new on the market?

Thank you!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Boring, but necessary - backup solution

I use an R-Synch script written in perl that's triggered by an icon on the desktop that backs up to a network drive array. It's written to only move new or updated session files, and I run it after each day's session work. The backup files are stored on a disk array (NAS in RAID 1+0) connected via 1GigE. It's not perfect, but this combined with frequent session backups configured in PT keeps me rolling. This solution gives you a modestly priced "stored in three places" capability since the RAID 1+0 effectively counts as two backups in the case of a disk failure in the array.

If you wanted to be really anal about it, you'd also consider an off-site backup copy as well...

Catastrophic session disk failure on the workstation (prior to the backup script running) is about the only worry (besides forgetting to hit the backup script icon...). It does take some discipline to remember to hit the backup icon, but it's become the start of my regular "studio clean-up" routine at the end of the day. The one problem this doesn't resolve is undetected session file corruption that starts on the workstation session disk and gets replicated to the storage array. The only way around this is to create full session backups each day that are uniquely named/time-stamped. This is certainly do-able, but it takes both more scripting and significantly more disk space/time required for backups.

My script also dumps a rather robust "backup results" text file to the desktop after each run as a gentle reminder, and I'm in the habit of checking the results file before I start anything new. Mostly just looking for failures... (files locked open, etc...)

I prefer to shut a workstation down every night to ensure a "clean slate" for each new day, so over-night backups are not a part of my particular solution. If you wanted to do over-night backups, you could write the script accordingly - just watch the clock on late-night sessions! I still think manually verifying the reporting of each backup is a good idea.

But for the script, it's mostly manual, but it works! If I had a studio assistant, this would be his/her job!

Hope this helps!

NL
Old 04-16-2011, 03:36 PM

Acronis once per night for the record drive, once per night for the system drive and before any update/upgrade of anything.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-16-2011, 04:37 PM

Two pronged approach works for me.

1) To guarantee up time due to catastrophic boot drive failure or bad software installation event.

Acronis weekly full backup of system drive partition and each time prior to new software install.

I also keep a full system drive partition image on a drive that's no where near the computer and un-powered - so if anything electrical happens - ie lightning strike hits the network this drive with a known good boot image is always available. Possibly a few months old but at least I can save days and weeks of software reinstall. BTW a lightning strike did take out one of my network drives and some USB peripherals a while back.

2) For file based back up to multiple external devices I use Synchbackpro once a day - 3am trigger. I back up all important audio files to three separate external devices. 1- NAS drive, 2 - WD Media player, 3 - NDAS drive.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/products.html

I don't prefer the pay as you go support model for Acronis but it's reliable software.

Syncbackpro really has a lot of features and It's never let me down either. I think the company offers a free version too if you want to give it a try.

Alain
Old 04-16-2011, 05:49 PM

I thought Acronis was Windows only? Based on his signature, the OP is a Mac user... I don't think the Acronis software even runs in a Windows VM on a Mac - which is pretty FUBAR when you think about it.

NL
Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I use an R-Synch script written in perl that's triggered by an icon on the desktop that backs up to a network drive array. It's written to only move new or updated session files, and I run it after each day's session work. The backup files are stored on a disk array (NAS in RAID 1+0) connected via 1GigE. It's not perfect, but this combined with frequent session backups configured in PT keeps me rolling. This solution gives you a modestly priced "stored in three places" capability since the RAID 1+0 effectively counts as two backups in the case of a disk failure in the array.
So, the backups can be done locally? After all I've read on their site, it seemed to me that I'd have to have my master Mac online, and that is not an option. Admittedly, I haven't read all of the info yet. I don't understand all the abbreviations, nor the Terminal commands. I think I've used it once.

I'd like a solution where I can create backups to one or more local drives, and be done with it. Is that something rsync can do?

Thanks a lot for the info - I'll keep on reading about rsync, but it seemed complicated to me.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 AM

I use a USB back up drive. (Two of them actually).

I've thought about adding Carbonite.com as an offsite back-up. Anyone use this...any thoughts pro or con?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I use a USB back up drive. (Two of them actually).
How do you back up? Drag and drop, Save copy in, or other methods/apps involved? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
How do you back up? Drag and drop, Save copy in, or other methods/apps involved? Thanks.
Normally, I use the back up function off the USB back-up drive's program. Whenever I click on the drive, it opens up the window, and I select back-up D: drive basically. That way all files are stored on the USB exactly as they are on the D drive, where my session files are....at least it does it exactly most of the time. Once in a while I end up with a missing file, which I can never understand.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Normally, I use the back up function off the USB back-up drive's program. Whenever I click on the drive, it opens up the window, and I select back-up D: drive basically. That way all files are stored on the USB exactly as they are on the D drive, where my session files are....at least it does it exactly most of the time. Once in a while I end up with a missing file, which I can never understand.
Hmmm...where did that amazing lead vocal go???