Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Default Pro Tools 11 on Windows 7 or Windows 8?

I currently own Pro Tools 10 and I'm going to buy a new computer and upgrade to Pro Tools 11. I have the chance between choosing W7 or W8 as my operating system. In terms of using PT11 in W7 vs W8, is either more stable than the other? Is there more or less known errors on either operating system? Does it really make a difference which one I choose? Any insight / help would be great! :)
Old 08-14-2013, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 on Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Personally, I'd stick with Win 7. It's been around longer, been tested more thouroughly still has years of support from MS and quite frankly I dont like the Win 8 GUI . That being said, Win 8 is fully qualified for use with Pro Tools 11, so if you like the feel of it, go for it.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 PM

+1 for Windows 7.

I have a cheapo laptop running Windows 8, but all of our work PC's are running Pro Tools 10.3.5 and Windows 7 SP1 on HP z800's. We are very stable...
Old 08-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbee View Post
I currently own Pro Tools 10 and I'm going to buy a new computer and upgrade to Pro Tools 11. I have the chance between choosing W7 or W8 as my operating system. In terms of using PT11 in W7 vs W8, is either more stable than the other? Is there more or less known errors on either operating system? Does it really make a difference which one I choose? Any insight / help would be great! :)
Have you used Windows 8? Some people hate it, some people love it - there are not many who have no opinion

I love Windows 8, the new UI is a breeze to use and just as fast or faster than the old Start Menu style. The Modern (metro) screen works beautifully with touch or a mouse. The only thing I don't like about it is MS caved to pressure and they are bringing back the Start Button in 8.1. You already get a pop up when your mouse hits that spot, I don't see the need for a static button, but what ever.....

And don't confuse Start Button with Start Menu, that is not coming back, at least in 8.1

If you want to see my views on Windows 8 you can see them here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YmIIzdNNq8

All that said, I would suggest Windows 8, but if you truly just will not let yourself embrace new methods, then stick with Windows 7.

But, if you don't mind having to take a couple days to learn the new interface, then get Windows 8.

As far as stability, I think they are about the same, maybe a bit a more stable for ME on Windows 8, but I have nothing to prove it, so its subjective to my personal PC's.

Windows 8 does seem foreign at first, but if you give yourself time to actually learn it, you will probably love it. I know I hate going back to work on Window 7 PC's - I have become so use to the Modern screen.

Pro Tools 11 is officially qualified for Windows 8. HOWEVER, Pro Tools 10 is not qualified for Windows 8. Now, its does work - at least for me, but you will not be running an Avid approved setup, so you will have to be your own tech support if you are planning on have a co-install of PT10.

As far as software, everything I had on Windows 7 works on Windows 8.

I'm a full on Windows geek. I support the Windows 8 phone and Surface Pro, and I am trying to learn how to create app for W8 Phone and W8.

I tell you that so you know why I am saying what I am saying. I have a bias, and I will admit it

It's up to you to try Windows 8 if you have not done so yet. If you really, truly hate it, there is no reason to force yourself to use it just because it is newer or someone on a forum told you it was super cool.

My experience with W8 has been totally positive, it boots faster, things seem snappier overall, and everything I have just works. From my 7 year old BCF2000 control surface to the latest PT11 and MC7.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Which ever you prefer.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM

I use both and much prefer 8 in spite of the start screen. I didn't realize it until returning to using 7 a bunch.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Have you used Windows 8? Some people hate it, some people love it - there are not many who have no opinion

I love Windows 8, the new UI is a breeze to use and just as fast or faster than the old Start Menu style. The Modern (metro) screen works beautifully with touch or a mouse. The only thing I don't like about it is MS caved to pressure and they are bringing back the Start Button in 8.1. You already get a pop up when your mouse hits that spot, I don't see the need for a static button, but what ever.....

And don't confuse Start Button with Start Menu, that is not coming back, at least in 8.1

If you want to see my views on Windows 8 you can see them here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YmIIzdNNq8

All that said, I would suggest Windows 8, but if you truly just will not let yourself embrace new methods, then stick with Windows 7.

But, if you don't mind having to take a couple days to learn the new interface, then get Windows 8.

As far as stability, I think they are about the same, maybe a bit a more stable for ME on Windows 8, but I have nothing to prove it, so its subjective to my personal PC's.

Windows 8 does seem foreign at first, but if you give yourself time to actually learn it, you will probably love it. I know I hate going back to work on Window 7 PC's - I have become so use to the Modern screen.

Pro Tools 11 is officially qualified for Windows 8. HOWEVER, Pro Tools 10 is not qualified for Windows 8. Now, its does work - at least for me, but you will not be running an Avid approved setup, so you will have to be your own tech support if you are planning on have a co-install of PT10.

As far as software, everything I had on Windows 7 works on Windows 8.

I'm a full on Windows geek. I support the Windows 8 phone and Surface Pro, and I am trying to learn how to create app for W8 Phone and W8.

I tell you that so you know why I am saying what I am saying. I have a bias, and I will admit it

It's up to you to try Windows 8 if you have not done so yet. If you really, truly hate it, there is no reason to force yourself to use it just because it is newer or someone on a forum told you it was super cool.

My experience with W8 has been totally positive, it boots faster, things seem snappier overall, and everything I have just works. From my 7 year old BCF2000 control surface to the latest PT11 and MC7.
thanks a lot bruh, i watched your review, i thought the added sound effects were funny as hell. I'm leaning more towards W8... are you sure its just as stable as W7 in regards to PT11?