Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Increase volume after track recorded

I am wondering if it is possible to increase the volume after the track has been recorded.
I am maxed out on the individual track.
I realize that the problem lies in my original levels when I was recording it, but I really like the take, and would rather not have to record it again.

Any solutions?
Old 01-22-2003, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Increase volume after track recorded

use the audiosuite normalize plugin or the RTAS trim plugin.

Bastiaan
Old 01-22-2003, 02:49 PM

You can use either the Audiosuite "Gain" or "Normalize" plug-ins to increase the level of a recorded track. I prefer the normalize plug-in myself. I just set a maximum peak of -.1dB and it raises the level of the entire track so that the loudest peak is -.1dB, and no "overs", which is as loud as I'd ever want a digital file.

I rarely use this method though. It's considered bad practice to digitally alter audio more than necessary. Better to record it right in the first place. But these plugs are there for when things don't go quite right. Also, keep in mind that increasing the gain or normalizing increases the level of ALL the audio, including the noise. You'll get a louder signal, but also louder noise to go with it.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 01-22-2003, 02:53 PM

Also you can work with an external Sound Editor such as Sound Forge. It's pretty simple... And you can boost the volume as much as you desire.
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - Pro Tools Ultimate + HD Native + HD OMNI
MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 01-22-2003, 06:06 PM

using the normalize audio suite plug-in alters the dynamic qualities of the track and occasionally leaves some unpleasant artefacts due to excessive gain increase.

using the audio suite gain plug-in increases the volume in the same way turning up the fader does - i.e., it leaves the dynamic nuances in tact but any excessive gain increase will also lift the noise floor and can alter the sound a little but never as much as normalize.

your best bet, of course, is to try to record a little hotter so you can avoid using either of these two [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2003, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by minimoog:

<snip>using the normalize audio suite plug-in alters the dynamic qualities of the track <snip>

your best bet, of course, is to try to record a little hotter so you can avoid using either of these two [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi minimoog-
I agree with your last point but disagree with your first... if I understand it correctly.

Normalizing doesn't change the "dynamics" of the original track.
It raises (or lowers) everything equally, (including the noise floor), as it brings the hottest point in the selection up to whatever level setting you choose.

However, the ratio between the hottest and softest parts, "dynamics", remains the same when Normalizing.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:30 PM

JMS- Right.