How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Re: ilok via a usb hub ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Darcy View Post
thats pretty much the worst reasoning I've heard.

you have a product that you HAVE to buy from a specific company
you have a product that you then have to pay extra on top of to give you a temporary license why they charge you more money to replace the item that has failed, and make you pay over the top shipping fee's to the USA from the UK, while they then take a protracted time period to then recover your licenses and then charge you to ship a replacement for the product that has failed back out to you.

That's not insurance, thats basically "we are such as scam and rip off, we're in a position to charge you more money to minimise your dealings with us"

in the modern world, where you have to sign up for an ilok account that is linked to your physical device, it would not be a problem for them to just void your old ilok, and push the new licenses to your account with the replacement ilok in, no need to send it back, no need for weeks of recover, no need for over the top shipping process, it's basically a lock in tax.
Matt, basically you are right but, you know, they simply won't change anything at all. It works for them so they keep doing it.

You only have two options finally: accept what you cannot change even if it hurts or change it. There's no other way out, dude.
I never liked the iLok system as well but finally I decided to stay with Pro Tools and stay with the plug in manufacturers who use
this licensing system anyway.

If it leaves you too unhappy just leave the system. Get, for example, Logic Pro X which has become a fantastic DAW over time and
seriously can compete with PT nowadays and only use plug ins which do not use the iLok system anymore.

There are fantastic, professional plug ins out there which are not licensed via iLok like all the Waves, all the Plugin Alliance and many more.

However if you decide not to change that all try to cope with it. Doesn't make sense to fall into despair or never ending anger because of
something you cannot change finally. There are so much more important things in life at the end of the day.

However if you decide to stay with the iLok system I have to agree with Jack: get the f... ZDT! If you go with the iLok system it makes your
life so much easier for just $30.- per year. It´s really really worth it at the end of the day.

Anyway I can understand you and, you know, you always have the option to leave that system. Today there are serious alternative options
you could use instead finally.

All the best to you.

Cheers, VRW
Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Matt, basically you are right but, you know, they simply won't change anything at all. It works for them so they keep doing it.

You only have two options finally: accept what you cannot change even if it hurts or change it. There's no other way out, dude.
I never liked the iLok system as well but finally I decided to stay with Pro Tools and stay with the plug in manufacturers who use

If it leaves you too unhappy just leave the system. Get, for example, Logic Pro X which has become a fantastic DAW over time and
seriously can compete with PT nowadays and only use plug ins which do not use the iLok system anymore.

There are fantastic, professional plug ins out there which are not licensed via iLok like all the Waves, all the Plugin Alliance and many more.

However if you decide not to change that all try to cope with it. Doesn't make sense to fall into despair or never ending anger because of
something you cannot change finally. There are so much more important things in life at the end of the day.

However if you decide to stay with the iLok system I have to agree with Jack: get the f... ZDT! If you go with the iLok system it makes your
life so much easier for just $30.- per year. It´s really really worth it at the end of the day.

Anyway I can understand you and, you know, you always have the option to leave that system. Today there are serious alternative options

All the best to you.

Cheers, VRW
Elegantly said my friend. Life's too short to beat one's self up about something like this. Like this prayer:
Grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

QAPLA!
Old 04-21-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post

All the best to you.

Cheers, VRW

I think that's the key, it's just pure frustration of in a modern world there are better ways to deal with this issue of protecting data on devices, you see key security devices ranging from black box license devices to random number generating dynamic keys for most commercial products where upon failing you don't need to be out of action for days, and you certainly don't need to send the device back to get your data recovered by some guy holding a root key, they ship out the dumb cheap device (or you buy one) and re-sync, the frustration isn't that the system is on a physical device, or that it fails (they are cheap, they will fail) it's the over the top process and costs it demands, they must have a large non-usa base, yet return to the USA is the only option, there is no investment in device sync/replication. I'm happy with pro-tools and I feel it's something worth continuing with, more so as an amateur swapping software isn't helpful.

I think the frustration is around the pointlessness and costs of the process overall, but to have it happen a an unexpected time, eg: the device was working, ilok told me to update to the current license manager - I did that and the first open after the update the device is broken....it feels questionable, but then if you don't upgrade and raise an issue the first thing support tell you to do is upgrade to the latest version, the whole thing feels like a scam

you must buy our hardware
you must use the software and software versions we tell you
if that software then triggers a break you must follow a process that is a pain and costs money
you must then buy another of our devices

if you want to use the software while following this process of our making you must give us more money, but you must still follow this process in the background.

it's just a case of sucking it up I guess, and keeping up to date with other options such as the new cloud sync stuff I've been reading about.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 PM

You see, that's where ZDT with TLC comes into it's own. You can recover your licences to your spare iLok almost immediately. No sending your iLok back and waiting for a return. Your making excuses for a problem that does not exist.
As to reliability, my current iLok is the one I got way back with PT 11.0, and it is still going strong.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 04-07-2019, 12:26 PM

*Solved* (well at least for me)

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to post this in case someone comes across it as this issue had bedeviled me for years!

I have a 2013 MBP 15" Retina and had the exact same issue that the OP was experiencing. I tried just about everything mentioned in this thread except for the USB 2 powered hub. I was using the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Hub for my peripherals but my iLok would not work on it.

But now OWC has come out with the Thunderbolt 3 Hub so I grabbed one and a couple of Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapters, wired everything up, plugged the iLok into the hub and lo-and-behold, it "finally" works for me!!

No more eating up a USB port on my laptop just to run my iLok!!

OWC link is here...
https://www.owcdigital.com/products/...3-dock-14-port