How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2009, 03:02 PM

Default help with plug ins and pairing faders

im a newbie...

how can i make my groups 1 and 2 that are drums ,link off touching 1 of their faders and use a stereo comp insert ?

im having tons of trouble with plug ins regarding inserts. i can set up using aux send returns but how can i use one plug in such as the drawmer gates to insert across all my drums? do i really have to put out a new drawmer plug in in each slot or can i use one plug in to do it all? thanks
Old 06-06-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Re: help with plug ins and pairing faders

Hey Bobby,

What your looking for is to use the groups in Expert Mode. I've copied the info from the manual.

Simple and Expert Operational Modes

When configuring Group busses, you can choose between two operational modes that provide different levels of flexibility:

Simple mode and Expert mode.

Setting the Operational Mode

To switch between Simple mode and Expert mode:

1 Put D-Show into Config mode.
2 Go to the Options page and click the Busses tab.
3 Under Stereo Group Panning Operation, select the mode you want to use (Simple or Expert).

Working with Mono Group Busses

When configured as mono busses, Groups can operate in the following modes:

Simple Mode

In Simple mode, either all Groups on a channel are mono, or all Groups on a channel act as bus pairs.

Expert Mode

In Expert mode, any of the 4 bus pairs can be stereo linked individually while leaving the other busses as mono, on a per channel basis.

To set the link status of individual mono Group busses on a channel (Expert Mode only):

1 Make sure Stereo Group Panning is set to Expert Mode.
2 Select an Input Channel or FX Return whose signal you want to send to a Group bus. To select multiple channels, use the Multi-Assign switch in the ACS Bus Assigns section.
3 In the ACS Bus Assigns section, press the Stereo Pan switch. The switch flashes yellow to indicate bus link mode.
4 Press any of the Group switches to link or unlink the bus pairs (1–2, 3–4, 5–6, or 7–8). The Group switch pairs flash yellow to indicate stereo linked, or flash green to indicate mono.
5 Press the flashing Stereo Pan switch to confirm the bus link status for the selected channels.

Once the groups are stereo linked, just insert the comp the same way you would insert any plugin. As far as gates, you have to decide how you want to use them. I've always used gates on a per channel basis, but you can insert across a group and set your trigger threshold to accomplish whatever it is you're trying to achieve. If you're worried about DSP then use the Drawmer for the channel that really needs it, and then use the channel gates for the rest. Gating on drums usually is not a grouped situation, but every user brings his own workflow to the table. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Erik
Old 06-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Erik,
Thanks for the help with the bus faders. I think I might of confused you with my Insert gate question. What I mean to ask is, if I use one plug in, can I use it on every channel that has an Insert. For example using only 1 drawmer gate plug in and assigning every drum channel to use it as an insert. Or do I have to use one plug in per insert? Thanks again
Old 06-06-2009, 10:21 PM

If you want to use an insert for all your drum channels, send them to a group, and insert the plug-in on that group. Otherwise, yes, you would need to use multiple instances of the same plug-in. You can only use one plug-in, as you would with an analog plug-in.
Sacramento, CA
Old 06-07-2009, 05:07 AM

A word of advice, when it comes to gating, use the onboard gates. They sound just fine, and you can edit them in the standalone. Why use up any of your "instatiations" or plug in slots, especially if you are limited to 20 ( I think that is the mix rack limit), to a gate for an input channel if you dont have to. Compressors,,.... different subject completely.

Hope this helps.

Tig
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiginbna View Post
Why use up any of your "instatiations" or plug in slots, especially if you are limited to 20 ( I think that is the mix rack limit), to a gate for an input channel if you dont have to. Compressors,,.... different subject completely.

Tig
The 20 plug in limit is on the SC48. The mix rack has 100 slots and is limited only by the amount of DSP that you have available.

nicolas