Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2001, 06:18 AM

Default error -37 when save copy

When working in a HUGE session with files from multiple drives supplied by various editors, I was unable to save a copy of the session to another drive. It would seem to be copying for about 20 minutes, then tell me that it couldn't complete this task due to an error -37. I tried to copy to my internal as well as several different external drives and had no luck. Anyone experience this or know why I had this problem?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:36 AM
Avid

Default Re: error -37 when save copy

A Mac OS -37 error means:
bdNamErr Bad file name: There may be no bad names in the final system.

-Check to make sure you are trying to copy files with "illegal" characters. Pro Tools region names cannot contain the following characters:
^ ! < > / ( ) - ;

-Check name length of the file names. 31 characters is the maximum.

-Check the integrity of your drives with Disk Warrior or any other such utility. Repair any and all corrupted catalogs and/or BTree Directories.

Brent

[This message has been edited by DigiTechSupt (edited April 30, 2001).]
Old 05-01-2001, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
-Check to make sure you are trying to copy files with "illegal" characters. Pro Tools region names cannot contain the following characters:
^ ! < > / ( ) - ;

[This message has been edited by DigiTechSupt (edited April 30, 2001).]
Thanks. I found many ! / and - characters in the names of the audio files. One group of such files were named with an ! by Digitranslator when I converted a bunch of sessions to OMF files and then back to ProTools to convert their bit depths.

Is there any way to save copy without renaming all of these files? Why does the original session accept these files while save copy does not?

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2001, 09:51 AM

DigiTechSupt is wrong on this.

The only character that is "illegal" for filenames on the mac is ":"
The characters DigiTechSupt listed are illegal on PC's.

Also, the only time this illegal character problem is an issue is when you're dealing with exporting regions as files since the region names can contain any letter.

So, my best guess is filename length.
Let's say you've got two files used by your session. They have the same name, but are in different folders. When you say, "Save session copy", both files are copied to the same folder, so one of the files has to have it's name changed. PT does this by adding a ".1" to the file name. If the filename is already 31 characters long, PT is supposed to truncate the name to 29 characters before adding the .1, but there may be a bug there.

If it's not that, I'd say try a disk utility. You may have a bad directory somewhere.

------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering
Old 05-01-2001, 11:18 AM

Oh. Thanks for the info. (I was wondering why I've had no problems with / in the past . . .).

So if the filename length is the issue, would I still have to manually rename and re-find each file to complete the save copy function? Or is there another way? A shortcut?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2001, 02:48 PM

thank you
Old 05-02-2001, 12:44 AM

Assuming long file names are the issue, a simple approach would be to sort in the region bin by file name, then if you find any duplicates, rename the file from the "rename region" command.
If you don't find any duplicates, then probably there's something else going on and the next thing you should do is run a disk utility.

------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering