Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2018, 05:38 PM

Default Latest driver - AES/EBU "Unable to detect a valid clock source" issue still exists?

Hi all.
Very happy (delighted in fact) 11R user, but have been aware of the "Unable to detect a valid clock source" issue (when the 11R is most definitely "in" SYNC & reported as such by other pieces of gear) for quite a while.....wasn't really bothered by it but newly released driver still doesn't fix it - wondering if anyone ever found a solution?

Here's what I'm experiencing on a 2014 MBP running 10.12.6

At one point (can't remember when) the 11R System Preferences panel worked fine - then a driver update or Mac Os update broke it & as it's only a "message" error - the 11R is clearly clocking correctly - I've never been too bothered.....but the recent 1.2.13 update still doesn't solve it, so.......uh c'mon AVID?

I am experiencing the same issue with both of my 11R's which are slaved (one at a time of course) via AES/EBU to an RME Fireface UFX.
All possible combinations of cables & ports have been tried (obviously) - no change.
RME Fireface USB settings panel reports - SYNC
11R USER OPTIONS: Digital Clock/Input reports - SYNC (no USB connected)
11R USER OPTIONS: Digital Clock/Input reports - SYNC (USB connected)
^^^I can sit & merrily change the master sample rate in the Fireface USB settings panel & watch it update on both the 11R display & within the 11R control panel too......that's fun for about 20 seconds :-/
My trusted ears obviously report - SYNC!
11R Editor works perfectly.

However --- the 11R control panel proudly displays its' "Unable to detect a valid external clock" message in every instance unless I set it to use its' internal clock & the message goes away.

So -- something within the driver package that is leaving this message permanently on irrespective of SYNC status when set to "external"?

If anyone else resolved this it would be great to hear from you - other option I guess is to remove the 11R driver altogether, it functioned perfectly well when I tried that previously from memory.

^^update - yes, I ran 11r "unistall", no longer have the control panel & everything is working just fine.

Cheers, Geoff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disp 1 Sml.jpg (37.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Disp 2 Sml.jpg (43.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RME 11R Sync.jpg (37.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2018, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Latest driver - AES/EBU "Unable to detect a valid clock source" issue still exist

Just to add one further bit of info:

Using either of my 11R's as "master" works no problem as it should & no "Unable to detect" message.

Cheers, Geoff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11R RME Sync.jpg (27.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-29-2018, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Latest driver - AES/EBU "Unable to detect a valid clock source" issue still exist

I have the same scenario connected SPDIF to my Clarett 8Pre X (as the main interface) as well.

It is clearly synced. It changes sample rates with the change in session, or when I change it in the Focusrite control panel. I've no pops or clicks, so I just ignore it.

SOMETIMES Pro Tools 2018.3 crashes on exit when I have been using both 11R and the Clarett 8Pre X in the session, but never when using either or. Go figure.

So, since it really causes me no issues I just ignore it.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 04-03-2018, 01:40 PM

Ahhhh - good to know I'm not the only one & it's not an isolated "RME" issue.

Stability all good here other than the 11R occasionally not syncing on power up & requiring a reboot - once I'm all powered up, I can work all day long with no issues at all.

Guess I'll have to set brain to "ignore" on this "bug" then.

Cheers, Geoff.